C25K (Couch to 5 K) ~ Week 3

Options
Totally forgot to post the requirements for week 3 this morning, I know most of you know what to do, but just in case there are newbies...

Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do TWO repetitions of the following:

* Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
* Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
* Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
* Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)

Good luck!! I myself am repeating week 2 till I can do it without feeling that I am having a heart attack, but everybody so the best you can do!!!

Feel free to friend me I need ALL the support I can get!! I am also doing the exact same program on facebook of anyone would like to join that group...
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_195693117124947&ap=1

Replies

• HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well...I completed W3D1 today. I really had my doubts going in cuz I can't remember or if I've ever run for 3 mins straight. I use a podcast that plays music and has a tone to indicate when to change speeds. I wasn't paying attention so I wasn't sure where I was in the intervals. I was starting to run out of steam, but I was bound and determined to keep going. Then the cool down tone came on and I was shocked. I ran the two intervals without too much trouble!! I had to slow down a bit for the second interval, but I didn't stop and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I hope I didn't jinx myself for the rest of the week.

Good luck all!! Do what you can and never give up!!
  • MandyC82
    MandyC82 Posts: 73
    Options
    Joined! Awesome!
  • emtgirl14
    emtgirl14 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I loved week 3! I thought it was going to be hard, but it wasn't as bad as I thought! And I'm NOT good at running!!

I feel like there's a wall you have to get past when running... if you can get past that threshold, then it get's easier!

You just have to really push yourself!!:)

I'm excited for week 4, but it looks more complicated! We'll see:)

Good luck to you!!:)
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Well...I completed W3D1 today. I really had my doubts going in cuz I can't remember or if I've ever run for 3 mins straight. I use a podcast that plays music and has a tone to indicate when to change speeds. I wasn't paying attention so I wasn't sure where I was in the intervals. I was starting to run out of steam, but I was bound and determined to keep going. Then the cool down tone came on and I was shocked. I ran the two intervals without too much trouble!! I had to slow down a bit for the second interval, but I didn't stop and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I hope I didn't jinx myself for the rest of the week.

Good luck all!! Do what you can and never give up!!

Hi Hunny- which podcast do you use- I had used one before but seem to have lost the link (changed computers since then too) so I am always interested in podcast referals to try
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4!!! Did day 1 on Sunday and found swearing, in my head, through the last 5 min interval helped!!!!

I use Robert Ullrey's podcasts.

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/podcasts/podcasts.html

The music is pretty pants but he does tell you when to run/walk and gives you time to adjust. He has a tendency, though, of sounding like he's about to tell you to stop running but is actually giving you a pep talk for the last minute!!! Very annoying because that last minute then seems to take forever!!!!!

Remember: swearing, in your head not out loud PLEASE, does help with those 'running' intervals!!!!

LouiseXXX
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    LOL looby, I start week 4 today - I shall have to remember your tip :laugh:
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Today will be W2 D1 for me. :bigsmile:
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    So glad to see you all here! Great job everyone!! :happy:

Last night, I goofed up my run. I meant to do W3D1, but my phone app was still on W2D3. So I mixed it up a little bit. Instead of stopping my runs at 90 seconds, I kept running for an extra 30 seconds. So hopefully, my real W3D1 won't seem so bad. I was AMAZED that I could run more than 90 seconds. I may have been fooled, since it was on the treadmill. I have been kind of alternating between the treadmill and an outdoor track. Maybe that is helping my training?

I registered for my first 5K last night! It will benefit the Ronald McDonald House, and I'm running on a team with my college alumni association. So, it's for a great cause, and I hope to see some of my old friends. It's April 23. I seriously doubt I'll be done C25K by then, but it's a run/walk, so I won't feel bad if I have walk some of it. I will probably just treat it like one of my regular training sessions. I can't believe I'm actually doing this. Thanks for the motivation, everyone!!
  • looby1968
    Options

I'm hoping the swearing will help me through Week 4, Day 2 - which I'm doing tonight!!!!!

LouiseXXX
  • looby1968
    Options

I'm hoping the swearing will help me through Week 4, Day 2 - which I'm doing tonight!!!!!

LouiseXXX

Managed Day 2 and had a bit of a swear-fest!!! I changed to 'I hate Robert Ullrey' when he interrupted me to tell me I had a minute left...I DO NOT NEED TO KNOW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

It seemed a LITTLE easier but my legs are aching now!! I still have a Just Dance 2 and 30 Day Shred sesh to complete!!
    Hmmm.. May be over my cals today!

LouiseXXX
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I can't find the Week 2 thread. :blushing:

But I just got back from W2D2. :bigsmile:

This was the first time that I felt crappy through the whole run. It's not that I'm getting winded, it's my calves! They were screaming at me the entire time today. :grumble:

Not sure what happened as my pace was about the same as it's been right along. Maybe I'm still recovering from using my Pilates Reformer Sunday afternoon after doing W2D1?

Anyway, I finished it. :smokin:
  • kuechletwins
    kuechletwins Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So glad to find this thread! I will be doing W3D3 tomorrow. I was thrilled to actually be able to do a 3 min. run!!! I'm a little nervous about week 4 though - running for 5 min!?!?!

I use the runhelper C25K app on my iPod touch - love it because while it tells me when to walk/run - it also allows me to play my own music!
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I loved week 3! I thought it was going to be hard, but it wasn't as bad as I thought! And I'm NOT good at running!!

I feel like there's a wall you have to get past when running... if you can get past that threshold, then it get's easier!

You just have to really push yourself!!:)

I'm excited for week 4, but it looks more complicated! We'll see:)

Good luck to you!!:)

I initially started using the same podcast as looby, but I didn't really care for the music. I use one called "First Day to 5 K" from Podrunner. It's a music mix by DJ Beatsmith. They have a TON of different interval mixes. The DJ talks a for a bit at the beginning, but once the workout begins, it's only music and there are specific tones that will indicate when to run and when to slow down. It's definitely faster tempo music than that Robert guy. I wish I could play my own music, but I only have a nano. It still works cuz I ran 3 mins!! I'm so freakin proud of myself!!!
  • emtgirl14
    emtgirl14 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well, I just did Week 4, Day 1. It was TOUGH!!! I got through the first 5 minute interval ok, but the last one seemed to last forever!!! But I was really proud of myself. Also, it stops at 31:30 but I kept walking till I got to 34 minutes, which made me hit 2 miles exactly:)

I use the app on my droid and listen to Pandora... in case anyone wanted to know^_^
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    Really looking forward to starting Wk3D1 Thursday. Downloaded lots of Trance music that I can use along with the C25K app on my iPhone. I CAN DO THIS. \(^o^)/
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a "graduate" of C25K, but I wanted to give everyone encouragement and major kudos!

And I also wanted to let anyone doing week three to know that even though I can jog 45 minutes now, about 4.25 miles, those first three minutes are always the hardest for me. I always think, "Why am I doing this? I should just stop. My boobs hurt. My back hurts. My legs hurt. My breathing feels weird." So I tell myself, "Just get to 5 minutes, then stop if you need to." But by then, I'm fine.

So if you can run the 90 seconds of week two, you can do the three minutes of week three. And the five minutes next week. And you're going to feel absolutely amazing when you do that 20 minute jog at the end of week 5. And each week, you're going to be so proud of your accomplishments. Enjoy it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I start week four tomorrow-was thinking of repeating week three because I am SCARED!
    I was so surprised that I was able to handle the three minute runs, I really didn't think I'd be able to do it. We'll see how this goes. I agree with the other poster that said there is a threshold. I just haven't figured out where mine is yet. I do recognize that by the end of the workout I feel better than I did at the beginning. Maybe when I'm dying on the treadmill tomorrow I will pay attention to the time and try to be more mindful about when I hit "that wall" and get past it. That might help me convince myself to keep going!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    finally managed to get back on the programme tonight - completed W1D1 To be fair, I did it straight after a yoga class which may be insane but what I find actually useful is that my legs are numb anyway from the class so as long as I can mentally get through it, it doesn't hurt a bit!!!!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    W3D1 DONE!!! I cannot believe that I ran 2 intervals of 3 minutes each, not to mention 90 second intervals too!!! Who is this person?? What happened to the non-runner who used to live in my body?? LOL :laugh: I came home and told my husband that I ran 3 minute intervals, and he just didn't get it. Thanks, everyone, for being here and letting me share this victory!! We are doing great!! :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • kuechletwins
    kuechletwins Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Well, I gave W4D1 my best shot today! I took a walking break 3 min into my first 5 min. run. On the second 5 min run, I went 3min 30 sec before taking a 30 sec. walking break. I really think I'll be repeating week four!! Just hoping that on my next run I will actually be able to run for atleast one of the full 5 min. reps. Otherwise, I may be headed back to week 3! Ugh.