Figuring out calories

Options
So I made some homemade chili tonight and I have no clue how to figure out what a serving would be and how to figure out the calories.

My chili was made with: 2 cans organic diced tomatoes, ground buffalo meat, 1 can no salt added corn, 1 can pinto beans, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can black beans, 1 small onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 medium yellow pepper, 1 medium green pepper, 1 jalapeño

Any tips on figuring this out????

Replies

• pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    you put it in the recipe app in the food tab and it works it out for you.

GG
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe calculator feature under the food tab. You put in the ingredients & the quantity and it calculates the nutritional info.
    You can set the recipe to be shared with others or you can keep it just for yourself. It's more time intensive process to allow the recipe to be shared. If you have questions, ask and I'll try to help!! :)
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    How many servings did you have?
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    Look at the back of the cans to figure out the calories of those, then google or use the my fitness pal search for the calories on the peppers or anything you didnt have the calorie information on, then add it all up and divide it by the portion you had, i.e. 900 calories all together, you had a third of it, divide it by 3.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe option under the food tab. I made the mistake of adding up all the ingredients I used to make chili the first time I tried to record something homemade. I probably spent an hour adding and dividing to figure out all the calories, carbs, protein, etc. The recipe option is a great tool. I hope it works for you! The great thing is it saves all the info so next time you just add a serving of it to your food diary and its done!
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe tool for most of my dinners, and it works great. But, I was having issues eye-balling a serving size (like one-fourth of a recipe), so I started using my food scale. I weigh the whole recipe, divide that weight by how many serving sizes it is, and then I weigh out my individual serving.

For example, my chicken and pasta dinner tonight weighed a total of 1236 g. The recipe said it made four servings, so I just took 309 g for my one serving.

So, I definitely recommend a food scale. I got the biggest loser scalefor 14.99. It's a great investment!
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I didn't even know that option was there!!