Curious about popular diet

Options
Has anyone tried the atkins diet? If so, what are your thoughts, feelings etc about it....

Replies

• greeneyedgirl
    Options
    Has anyone tried the atkins diet? If so, what are your thoughts, feelings etc about it....
  • bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    About 3 times! I can't live without my carbs.
  • brownewell94
    brownewell94 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My husband did about 3years ago. Did real good, lost over 50lbs! However, he didn't continue it faithfully and gained it all and more back. Now he is on MFP with me. Hope that Atkins works for you! Not all diets work the same for everyone.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I do not like it for different reasons>

You need to not be on a diet as much as changing how and what you eat. Atkins is really really hard to follow forever, and most people gain it all back. (Both my inlaws did).

From what I've read it's not that healthy to eat that much meat all the time.

I also don't think carbs are that horrible for you. Totally something to eat in moderation for sure, but none at all?!?! Doesn't seem right.

I hope you can understand what I am saying, and maybe someone else can explain it better than me.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Everyone does great until they add carbs back into their diet. You should spend sometime researching what a truly healthy balanced diet is and try to eat right instead of what will end up being a "quick fix".
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Did it about 10 years ago--lost about 40 pounds. Gained back over 50 when I came off of it.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan. I simply didn't learn healthy eating habits, so I had nothing to continue with and gained back what I lose plus some.
  • greeneyedgirl
    Options
    it seems to me that most people who are on it gain it all back. That to me is not a healthy way to be living at all
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt do Atkins in my opinion because your body needs carbs- and I don't think people should follow a diet when the creator of it died of a heart attack but thats my opinion-- You might be interested in a LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX foods -- You can google search the list of foods and there ranking--
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt do Atkins in my opinion because your body needs carbs- and I don't think people should follow a diet when the creator of it died of a heart attack but thats my opinion-- You might be interested in a LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX foods -- You can google search the list of foods and there ranking--
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    well everyone has already said the right thing - don't diet....make a lifestyle change and be healthy!!

we need carbs! we just need to learn the right carbs to eat and when to eat them!! No diet is healthy when it completely eliminates a food group.

Good luck...
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Carbs are really important. they are our primary energy source. If I tried going without them I would be soooooooo tired all the time! My brother in law did atkins for like a year. Lost a TON but he too gained it back when he added carbs back into his diet.
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The guy died from a heart attack.....that tells me enough!!
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cutting any major food group out of your diet is just not a good idea, there's a reason that carbs make up part of the food pyramid - you need them. The key to a successful diet is learning moderation and learning healthy vs unhealthy eating habits.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    it seems to me that most people who are on it gain it all back. That to me is not a healthy way to be living at all
    Very true...plus they now have to deal with high cholesterol.:ohwell:
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't do it, best way is eat a healthy balanced diet. your body needs carbs and once you reintroduce them you would most likely put the weight back on. Stick to MFP guidelines for eating with exercise and it will come off and stay off!:happy:
  • atticchair
    Options
    I've done the first few weeks of the South Beach diet a couple of times, and although you don't eat any carbs from bread, rice, pasta, etc. during the first two weeks, it's still easy to do. The diet eliminates carbs from grains to sort of 'realign' your body and its cravings and then works healthy, high-fiber, multi-grain carbs back in. If you feel you need a guideline, I would go with this. It emphasizes lean meats (chicken, fish, lean red meat), vegetables, and healthy fats instead of the eat-whatever-you-want as long as it's not bread mentality of the Atkins diet. The first time I did it I lost around 8 pounds in the first two weeks and more even after I stopped following the diet guidelines due to healthy eating and exercise. I haven't gained the weight back either. It also talks a lot about lifestyle changes, which is what everyone so far has mentioned, but it also gives you tools to do it.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Did this about 7 years ago and lost 20 lbs. It was really hard to give up carbs and I think unrealistic to expect a person to basically live without bread or pasta for the rest of your life. I also got pretty sick on it; my dr. thougt it was a big shock to my system. Thought I was pregnant for a while too. The weight all came back when I quit. I would not recommend it. I think using MFP and watching calories and exercising are the best method. I can realistically eat like this for the rest of my life because no food is evil and off-limits.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I got horrifically sick when I tried Atkins.
    My brother did it with success for military training but has ended up gaining it all back plus some in Iraq.
    It would be very difficult to maintain for life.

Also, my Nutrition teacher says you need all your food groups (despite her being a vegan) and that there is more to weight loss then what you put in your mouth. There are TONS of other factors.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    When I was trying Adkins, I did lose weight, however, I was getting heart palitations (sp?), and it scared the crap out of me. This also happened to my brother, who went to the ER because he thought he was having a heart attack.....heathly eating is the way to go.