Iceberg lettuce... not my friend?

Options
Hey everyone! I've noticed lately whenever I eat a plate of lettuce (with plain cooked chicken or tuna mayo or just sweetcorn onion etc) that I feel/am bloated that eve and next morning, and, I drink at least 8 glasses of water every day, so its not that, but the scales will always weigh me 1-2 lbs more the morning after I eat it. Has anyone else noticed this? I know you should'nt weigh every day but I do deliberately to track what makes me bloated and uncomfortable (gluten, shellfish and sadly egg and thus the mayo with my tuna so i switched to plain chicken). Oh and those are the only things that will provoke a gain, I either go down or stay the same eating anything else (and I love my fibre, love any kind of beans and never have a problem). Anyway I'm asking all those interested their opinion on lettuce, not moi :)

Replies

• healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    good question...I'm interested in the answer!
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    doesn't affect me but have a friend that has worked out that lettuce causes her IBM.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i had a similar problem with dairy, yeast and lemons turns out i am intolerant to them. you could see your doctor who may be able to refer you for tests, or you could trust your body, if it doesn't feel right its probably trying to tell you something. When i did all my intolerance tests i found out that iceburg lettuce is a very common intolerance.

switch to another type of lettuce and see how you go, and the doctors may be a good idea....
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it stretches your stomach...I remember seeing a competitive eater show and they would chow down on lettuce during the day to stretch their stomach for training at night. Iceberg's also the least nutritious when compared to other lettuces, so I'd pick a different one anyway.
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I havent had a problem but I tend to go for rocket or baby spinach esp nice in salads
  • lmk224
    lmk224 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ah thats interesting, could be irritating my bowel then and an intolerance, also scary about the stomach stretching. I'll definately try different lettuces then and just avoid that one! Thanks everyone :)
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I have that problem if I eat iceburg lettuce at restaurants - but I never have that problem at home. At home I wash my lettuce really well. I have wondered for a long time if there is a preservative that they put on the lettuce that causes me stomach issues. Maybe try washing it well and see if it bothers you? Or - switch to another type of lettuce. I don't know about you - but my life wouldn't be horribly changed without iceburg... lol
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Try a different lettuce. Romaine hearts are similar to iceberg, being a sturdy green with a good crunch.
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    Iceberg lettuce hurts my tummy, too--makes it feel bloated and crampy. Plus, I don't like it that much anyway. I use spinach and/or arugula for salads at home and try to get romaine, spinach, or mixed greens in my salads when we go out.
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you have stomach issues sometimes you have to avoid eating lettuce. My naturopath told me that because I have bad IBS. You can try taking a digestive enzyme when you eat raw veggies and see if that helps. Whenever I eat green leafy veggies I have to eat a digestive enzyme and it definitely helps!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It could also be the water in the lettuce and the fact that iceberg lettuce holds more water then other lettuces. So, when you ingest it and drink your other water, you hold on to some of it until after the fiber from the lettuce leaves the body. Like the others have said, I'd try a different lettuce to see if the bloating problem goes away with something that holds on to less water.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed a problem with any type of lettuce, iceberg or any other. Sorry this is happening for you.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I would suggest switching to spring lettuce, romaine or even better baby spinach. Iceberg lettuce doesn't have any nutritional value so hopefully you won't experience this side effect with other types.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would suggest switching to spring lettuce, romaine or even better baby spinach. Iceberg lettuce doesn't have any nutritional value so hopefully you won't experience this side effect with other types.

I agree. I make my salads with baby spinach, which has great nutritional value.
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have heard that it causes gas which may leave you feeling bloated.
  • lmk224
    lmk224 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks that all sounds helpful, I like baby spinach, just usually grabbed the iceberg because its large and cheap! Will have to leave it out. Interesting that you shouldn't have it if you have ibs symptoms with other things.
  • broncograd03
    broncograd03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is rather late, but I have an iceberg lettuce intolerance and you may have one as well.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Someone told me iceberg lettuce scratches the colon. Not sure if this is true. I havent seen any studies on it.

Baby greens, chard, arugula, kale, and spinach are better imo.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This thread should be on a comedy show 😂!