evening meal ideas when eating seperately?

Options
whiskey9890
whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
help!
i work shifts and when i'm on back shift i make something before i go into work that i can reheat at work in a microwave and leave the remainder for my other half. this unfortunately tends to come out of a jar (i really don't enjoy cooking my evening meal at 10am) so the calories are quite high, my daily calorie allowance is 1300 so not a lot to play with if you include breakfast and lunch. can anybody suggest any ideas, my diary is public i think and when i am cooking i do try and add extra vegies into the sauces which is why you may not see individual ones listed they are added in the recipie section. my other half is a gannet and will eat anyting me i'm more fussy but i'm getting bored of the same things and would like to use my calories more wisely.

i don't have a crock pot and i don't think it would be ideal in this instance anyway as i take mine to work pretty much as soon as its done

please give me some inspiration. oh and i'm uk based

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I would make something in the slow cooker when I would work in the evening. You just have to throw it all in the crock and be done! Beef vegetable stew is good. Baby carrots, halved potatoes and a roast. Or make something the previous day and have enough for left overs.
  • Kworsdale
    Kworsdale Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What I do is create a weekly menu and then shop once a week for the necessary supplies. Then, once all of the ingredients are collected, I have a few hours in which I get ahead and prepare and refrigerate the meals. Ideally, I choose several one dish wonders that can be heated on the day that I plan for them. Shepards pie, beef barley soup, stews, stuffed shells, are just a few that can be made ahead and heated up when called for. I usually prepare at least three meals to get me started and then on the other nights, I invested in a George Foreman and I use this to prepare chicken cutlets for salads and burgers.
    At first, it takes some organzing and getting used to but once you are in the routine, the benefits definitely out weigh the negatives.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Soups are simple to make and easy to add extra veggies too. Open face sandwiches may be a good choice if you are careful about your meats and cheeses. I don't know if you can get these in the UK, but Ziplock makes a neat Zip and Steam bag. Just throw in your meat, veggies and seasonings and toss in the microwave. Casseroles are a good option also. You can make a large one, portion out the servings and stick them in the freezer. Then you can just grab one out when needed.