Snack Struggle - UK!

Options
Afternoon All,

Any ideas for struggling with my snacks??? I'm trying to increase my water and I do eat fruit most days but still feel like I'm wasting too my cals on rubbish!

Please feel free to add me, especially if your diary is open and your in the UK so I can try and get tips! My diary is also open so feel free to give me your thoughts or just have a nose! :-)

Thanks
Sam xxx

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi SSSP, I've added you as a friend. For goodness sake don't use my weekend diary as an example or snackage - it all goes on wine!!!

On days when I'm way too busy to exercise, I just know I can't snack as I can't spare the calories. When I do snack it has to be what I fancy - if I want chocolate, an apple just won't cut it, so I just have a relatively small chocolate.

My favourite savoury snack is M&S carrot sticks with hummus, and my favourite sweet is a Daim bar.
  • princess_f
    princess_f Posts: 148
    Options
    tbh my snacks arnt mega healthy but i try not to have a 'treat' and use my snacks as a bit of both. Normally they are well under 100cals too! (alpen choc & fudge bars &skinny cow icelollys are my favs!)

Ive just bought the asda fruit snack packs, they are filling, easy to carry in your pocket or bag and under 50cals. 5 packs for £1.50 and you can mix and match too x
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi! Apart from fruit, my favourite snacks are fat-free yoghurts, low fat cereal bars and cottage cheese on ryvita. Feel free to nose in my diary. Sending you an invite :happy:
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    i snack on mixxed fruit and nuts from morrisons. u have to be careful and only have 25g per snack but this works and is good protien and gives u gd source of energy. also i like snack a jacks salt and vinergar flavour is my fav at 41 calories per snack. fruit grapes, apples, strawberries. melon, pears all sweet and yummy. ryvita with philladelphia. hope thts helped
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have good days and bad days snack-wise! I'm not that type of person who believes in cutting stuff out, if i want something I'll have it, but I'll have less!

At the moment I'm maintaining my weight for a while (still with a calorie deficit though), but have a look at my diary anyway.

If I fancy chocolate I'll buy something with two halves (twix, bounty, etc) and eat one half... sometimes I eat two though :laugh:
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I very rarely snack - infact I very rarely eat! Before coming on here I was eating one meal a day! But now I have my bum in gear theres the odd time I miss having my biscuits with tea watching eastenders. So at the weekend I made a healthy alternative - porridge biscuits! They are around 40 calories each and taste just as nice as normal biscuits! If you are needing a chocolate fix then you can add in chocolate chips - for now I have just added in raisins which works well too!

Definately going to invent more healthy snacks this weekend!
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    i also love crumpets they r only 88 per crumpet and are lovely toasted with light marg or pholadelphia. have u tryed natural yoghurt on your fruit. you can buy poring yoghurt now activia one
  • Boooie
    Boooie Posts: 110
    Options
    your welcome to add me my diary is open but im not all that great on snacks lol i do have fruit or the asda fruit snack packs to, in the evening i tend to have a fibre plus bar and a options drink x
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I snack constantly, but I've been pretty bad recently.:(

It seems like you eat out a lot for lunch. You could probably save a few calories by making your lunch, if that's possible?
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I like hartleys sugar free jelly,always loved jelly and it was something that I had completely forgotten about.Its only 8 calories per portion,just add some fruit too and it does the trick,even without the fruit.
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    I eat nuts and seeds as an afternoon snack, you've gotta weigh them to keep track of the calories and fat but quite filling.:smile:
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    One tip I have picked up from these forums is sugar free jelly. A pint of made up sugar free jelly (1 packet) is around 38cals. You have to make it in advance so if you keep a couple of tubs in the fridge made up you will always have some on hand.

It's cheap to buy, easy to make, low calories, lots of water in it and is very filling.

You can buy round plastic see through tubs with lids from the supermarket that are ice cream style tubs and they fit exactly 1 pint of jelly in so they can stack in your fridge, I've even been taking them to work with me for snacking on, you could have it with fruit to make it more filling.

Walkers baked are good for snacks if you want a healthier crisp and also snack a jacks are good, the caramel ones especially are really sweet and taste like they definitely should be bad for you! Muller lights are low in fat good snacks too.

Looking forward to seeing other peoples comments to expand my own snack list!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a savoury gal, no jellies or puddings for me!

Mt favourite snacks are:

2 ryvita (or corn thins or rice cakes) toped with...
    laughing cow light, or cottage cheese, or humous, or half a mashed avocado with lemon juice.

A hard boiled egg.

celery sticks to crunch on (or carrot, or radish)

handful (20-25) whole almonds

5 or 6 good olives

small bag salty or cheesey popcorn

couple of wafers of parma ham with some cherry tomatoes
  • karenpinkchick
    Options
    I'm rubbish at snacks! Usually have rubbish but I added u and my diarys open
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I very rarely snack - infact I very rarely eat! Before coming on here I was eating one meal a day! But now I have my bum in gear theres the odd time I miss having my biscuits with tea watching eastenders. So at the weekend I made a healthy alternative - porridge biscuits! They are around 40 calories each and taste just as nice as normal biscuits! If you are needing a chocolate fix then you can add in chocolate chips - for now I have just added in raisins which works well too!

I would love to get the recipe for those porridge biscuits from you? They sound really good...and for only 40 calories where could you go wrong! If I had the recipe I might even make them this evening!! Please and thank you :flowerforyou:
  • princess_f
    princess_f Posts: 148
    Options
    could you pm me the recipe please :)
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'd like that recipe too.

Incidentally, fortune cookies are a good snack. 35 calories each, and they're pretty cheap in Asian Supermarkets.
  • nlhawthorne
    Options
    I've been researching the same thing, looking for ideas for healthy snacks I can eat on the go (literally - I'm always hungry on the bus home from work). It's tricky to find things that are low in calories, fat, sugar and sodium.

So far my favourites are the little tubs of reduced fat houmous (Tesco and Asda both do them) with some oatcakes and, as someone already mentioned, salt and vinegar Snack-A-Jacks (several of the other varieties are a lot higher in sugar). Sugar-free jelly is great too, although I tend to forget to make it up :-/

Low fat yogurts can be good too, although check the sugar content as a lot of them make up for the lack of fat with sugar, which can cause blood sugar highs and dips throughout the day. The Weight Watchers ones aren't bad, especially the plain vanilla and toffee ones, although my favourite is M&S spiced rhubarb - yum!

Another great one is soup, especially if you'll be near a microwave or something to heat it up. A lot of the tinned and instant soups are pretty high in salt and sugar though so I've been told it's best to make your own. I'm always out and about these days so the leisure time I do have is precious, and I don't particularly enjoy cooking at the best of times (essentially I'm kind of lazy!), but every couple of weeks I boil up a big pile of vegetables with some stock cubes, black pepper, basil and something like curry powder, chilli powder or paprika, blitz it with a hand blender and then freeze it in little containers or small zip-lock bags. Then all you need to do is take it out of the freezer the night before and hey presto, instant healthy snack.

These other ideas are great though - keep 'em coming UK peeps!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Activia low fat yoghurts are great as snack food and do make you feel like you have eaten something. Also bananas, and I eat tons of apples.
    My husband swears by snack a jacks, but they are very high salt.

If you are struggling with feeling empty, I find psyllium powder from Holland and Barratt good. It has almost no cals but bulks up in your stomach when you drink water, and provides you with a lot of fibre as well as making you feel full.
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options

I would love to get the recipe for those porridge biscuits from you? They sound really good...and for only 40 calories where could you go wrong! If I had the recipe I might even make them this evening!! Please and thank you :flowerforyou:

Could you please post that recipe.....please :bigsmile: