Your favorite veggie burger recipe?

Options
I am dying to make these low-cal baked onion rings: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/low-fat-baked-onion-rings.html#more

So, I am planing to make veggies burgers for dinner tomorrow. I have a package of boca burgers in my freezer but want to make homemade patties for once. I'm curious: what is your favorite, tried and true, never-fail veggie burger recipe?

Also, I have left-over quinoa in my fridge. I know some recipes call for brown rice. Has anyone made veggie burgers with quinoa?

Thanks!

Edit: I totallty meant to post this in the recipes forum. Oops...

Replies

• rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    bump
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Nutty Veggie Burgers

These are yummy, even my very loyal meat-eater boyfriend approved them! they go great with a yoghurt sauce, or a chutney in a wholemeal bun or pitta.

Nutty Veggie Burgers
    Serves: 9 burgers
    240g chick peas, basically 1 drained tin.
    1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 egg
    2 tbsp cornmeal
    1 courgette
    1 yellow pepper
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    50g almonds
    pinch of salt and pepper

Boil the chickpeas for 20 mins to soften them as much as possible. Then drain them and allow to cool.
    Put the courgette, garlic, deseeded pepper, and the onion into a magic bullet/blender(you may need to chop them into small pieces first depending on your blender) with the egg, and a few tablespoons of water.
    Add the paprika, cumin, turmeric, and salt and pepper.
    Remove this mixture and put it into a large mixing bowl.
    Now put the cooled chickpeas into the bullet/blender and blitz into a smoothish paste (you may need to add a little water, or sdo this in small batches).Then add this to the mixing bowl.
    Roast the almonds in the oven for 15 minutes, making sure they don't burn. Then chop them, but not too finely and add to the mixing bowl.
    Give it a good stir and then add in the cornmeal, and mix well.
    Line an oven tray with baking sheet and shape the mix into 9 palm-size balls, which you can then flatten into burgers and put on the baking sheet.
    Leave the tray in the fridge for an hour or so, then transfewr them to a pre-heated 180 degree oven.
    Cook the burgers for 20 minutes, then turn them over with care and roast for a firther 5-10 minutes, so that they go golden brown on both sides.

92 calories per serving, 3.7g F, 0.4g SF, 12.0g C, 1.2g S, 2.8g Fb, 3.9g P

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Almond
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thank you, morganadk2! That recipe looks great, and I like that it different than most recipes I've seen. Chickpeas and almonds! Yum! And you can't argue with 92 calories per burger.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of a great veggie burger recipes on allrecipes.com.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Makes four;

Peanut Butter, Marmite Oat Burgers

1 Onion, sautéed in half a tablespoon of olive oil.
    60g Rolled Oats
    25g Wholemeal Flour
    2 Tablespoons Marmite
    2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter

Mix all the ingredients together, adding a little water to make it go into a dough. Fry.

I love this on a panini, with onions. It's got a nice chewy crunchiness to it, and the marmite + panini combination have a mildly cheesy taste, somehow. I generally add some flaxseed to seriously up the protein/fat content.

Come to think of it, I could probably replace the flour entirely with flaxseed.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of a great veggie burger recipes on allrecipes.com.

I have looked there and may end up combining some recipes. None by themselves are too exciting, though, and I wanted to know if anyone here could suggest an especially great ideas.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Burgers!

I discovered this recipe last week, and I have already made them twice! My omnivore boyfriend loved them, and my strict vegan sister did too! They are dairy, egg, and wheat free, but still taste great. I added sunflower seeds instead of pumpkin seeds since I didn't have any, and I left out the cinnamon for the same reason. Also, I made a great sauce for them by mixing the same spices in the recipe with plain soy yogurt, lemon juice, and a pinch of sea salt. Served with a side of healthy baked sweet potato fries, and topped with veggies = my new favorite meal!

http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/05/vegan-bean-burger-recipe.html
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My favorite is this one... probably because i love all of the ingredients individually as well :)

From Real Simple: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/veggie-burgers-00000000014283/index.html

* 1/4 cup couscous
    * 1 large egg
    * 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
    * 1 15-ounce can lentils, rinsed
    * 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
    * 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
    * 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    * kosher salt and black pepper
    1. In a small bowl, combine the couscous and 1/4 cup hot tap water. Let sit for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
    2. In a food processor, puree the egg, sunflower seeds, and 3/4 cup of the lentils until they form a paste; transfer to a bowl. Mix in the carrot, onion, lemon juice, couscous, the remaining lentils, 1/2 teaspoon salt,and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Form the mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Refrigerate, uncovered, until firm, 20 to 25 minutes.
    3. Heat grill to medium-high. Oil the grill grate. Grill the patties, turning once (do not press or flatten), until charred and heated through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve on rolls with the desired toppings.

It says the recipe makes 4 burgers (288 cal, 14g protein, 7g fiber, 8g fat) but I usually make 5 or 6 smaller burgers instead.
    Some crumbled feta is good on top of these.... and my meat-eating boyfriend also likes them :)
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I got this one from Food Network's Guy Fieri (Guy's Big Bite). After trying it the first time I decided to send the chick peas through the processor a bit and then add the other beans just to crush them. I want the texture but the whole beans seemed keep the patty from holding together in the cook. I upped the chili flakes too but that's just me.

Ingredients
    1 ounces olive oil
    3 tablespoons diced red onion
    2 tablespoons diced black olives
    2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
    1 teaspoon diced jalapeno
    1 1/2 tablespoons diced garlic
    1 tablespoon diced artichoke
    4 ounces black beans, drained
    4 ounces chickpeas, drained
    4 ounces white beans, drained
    6 ounces rolled oats
    1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
    1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground sage
    2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
    1 egg
    Directions
    In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add 1-ounce olive oil and all raw vegetables except beans. Saute until translucent. Remove and cool.

Add veggies to beans and mix thoroughly. Add all dry ingredients along with the egg. Thoroughly mix all ingredients and form into 4 patties, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (Helps them bind and not fall apart)

In saute pan add 1-ounce olive oil, and cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    bump :)