I hate steel cut oats!

Options
2»

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I use Silver Palate Steel Cut Oats and cook them for 9 minutes at half power in the microwave. By cutting the power to half you have less "Boil Over" problem. You can also do them overnight in the Crock Pot. Makes them seem almost "Instant" in the morning. I do add a little more water than the box calls for.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I love quick cook steel cut oats. It comes out just fine in the microwave. Try switching to quick cook instead. If you still don't like it, go to regular oatmeal.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I use rolled oats. 1/2 cup + 1 cup water, in the microwave. Ceramic bowl, covered with paper towel. Important to cover it!

1 minute on high, stir. 1 minute on high, stir. 1 more minite on high (watch carefully, as even when covered, the oats have tended to creep up), stir and serve. Really nice and creamy. I use the Red Mill brand, organic old fashioned.

I love to toss in some fruit when its ready. Banana is my favorite.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    I'm not planning on switching over to instant or even quick oats - I had quick oats yesterday and the smushyness of them was just gross. I'm going to try soaking the steel cut oats overnight, and if that doesn't work I'll try microwaving them! Thanks for all of the suggestions!
    I don't even eat oatmeal, which is sad because I actually like it. But it's got way too many calories and isn't filling.

I do find it filling but I usually eat something else within a couple of hours - usually a protein. My mornings are pretty condensed.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I don't even eat oatmeal, which is sad because I actually like it. But it's got way too many calories and isn't filling.

150 calories for a 1/2 cup serving of a food that most people find very filling is not a lot of calories. Pair it with some almonds, fruit and a splash of whole milk should keep everyone full for hours on end.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Also, instant oats don't contain as much fiber because they are more processed. Steel cut oats have more fiber and are the least processed.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect.

40 grams of Old Fashioned Oats has 4 grams of fiber.
    40 grams of Quick Oats has 4 grams of fiber.
    40 grams of *plain* instant oatmeal has 4 grams of fiber.

The only “processing” that is done to make oats change from Old Fashioned to Quick to Instant, is rolling/grinding/cutting them so that they cook quicker. As long as you are buying *plain* (not flavored or sugared), they are all the same nutritionally.

More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oat
    http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Oatmeal.html
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options

Too many calories? Mine plain is only 190 calories. With a banana that's 295. That's not a whole lot, especially when I'm eating it as a meal. Even having a side item like fruits or veggies would keep it under 400 calories, which is about par for a meal.

And oatmeal is one of the most filling foods, to me at least. On my long endurance riding days (moto, not bike) I start it off with a good bowl of oatmeal. Keeps me full longer, and warm for those cool mornings.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

Really? I eat my oatmeal with blueberries or some other fruit...well, or peanut butter. Maybe 200 calories and I'm STUFFED and stay fuller, longer.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options

150 calories for a 1/2 cup serving of a food that most people find very filling is not a lot of calories. Pair it with some almonds, fruit and a splash of whole milk should keep everyone full for hours on end.

That is 1/2 cup dry to 1 cup water (I use a little less water personally).

I make old fashion oats in the microwave for a snack. I love it.
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    If they're not turning out well, you can try toasting them with a smidge of butter or other fat before adding the water - put the fat / butter in a pan, melt it, and toast the steel cut oats until they're just golden brown. Then add your water to the already hot pan, I also like to add some dried fruit at this point, and cook them, stirring, until they're nice and gooey. :-D Alton Brown has a crazy good steel cut oats recipe, which is what I modify my oats from. If you use a good fat, it's a very nicely rounded meal. Hope that helps!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try quick oats. They are better for you than instant

Um, how are instant oats any less good for you than other oats? Carb for carb, protein for protein, calorie for calorie, etc....they are all the same as long as you are buying *plain* (unflavored, unsugared) oats. Go to www.quakeroats.com and see for yourself.

Instant oats are refined more and remove more of the husk. And the instant has more sodium and sugar.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its the brand (Country Organics) or what, but I can't get them anywhere near soft without them burning to the pan! I feel like I'm eating hamster pellets!

I'm switching over from instant oatmeal, so I know there's going to be a consistency difference, but these are just BAD. No one else I live with will eat them - even my boyfriend, who'll eat anything.

Try quick oats. They are better for you than instant and almost as quick and they are part of the "Eat Clean Diet"

The Eat Clean Diet is not very clean eating if it says that quick oats are an allowable part of that plan. Still finding ways to sneak in overly processed foods when Clean Eating is based on the least processed or no processed foods.

Quick oats are not processed but rather ground up a little more so they absorb the water quicker.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Instant oats are refined more and remove more of the husk. And the instant has more sodium and sugar.

Seriously, dude - do your research - Instant Oats (or any oats for that matter) CAN'T have more of anything unless those anythings are ADDED to the oats. I am talking only about PLAIN (i.e. NOTHING added in the "processing") oats.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I use generic Old Fashioned oats. Nuke in the microwave for 2 minutes. 1/2 cup oats to 1 cup water. Add whatever I feel like adding at the time. Often unsweetened applesauce with cinnamon. Also lots of times I use a smashed up ripe banana with cinnamon. Good stuff.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time with these at first as well. I tried the McCann's brand (Irish oatmeal, or steel-cut Irish oatmeal) and I have had much better luck with this and really enjoy it. I make it the night before, using the 1 cup oats/4 cups water ratio. I boil the water, add the oats, stir, then put it in the fridge. It soaks up all the water overnight. In the morning I heat it up slowly and add some honey and cinnamon to give it some more smoothness. It is still a thicker consistency then instant or Quaker oatmeal but it's much better, less crunchy, when I cook it as I described. Good luck, its an adjustment I know!

I use McCann's and this is how I cook mine. So delicious!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Try quick oats. They are better for you than instant

Um, how are instant oats any less good for you than other oats? Carb for carb, protein for protein, calorie for calorie, etc....they are all the same as long as you are buying *plain* (unflavored, unsugared) oats. Go to www.quakeroats.com and see for yourself.

Of course quaker oats is going to say that instant is ok for you...........

Instant oats are very processed.
    Quick oats are pretty processed
    Old Fashioned oats are a bit less processed
    Steel Cut Oats are the way to go, the least processed food of them all. That is why they take so long to cook, but much higher in nutrition and cleaner than any of the above.

Also, instant oats don't contain as much fiber because they are more processed. Steel cut oats have more fiber and are the least processed.

It all depends on the goal you are trying to reach in your eating. I don't eat grains very much these days, but if I do eat oatmeal, it is going to be steel cut oats.

I thought the only difference between instant oats and rolled oats were that instant are cut finer/thinner, allowing for a quicker cook time.

I go between steel cut and rolled oats, I like them both. I cook the steel cut in a rice cooker on "porridge" setting so it does all of the work for me and is ready when I wake up for breakfast!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Here is an explanation of the different oats.

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/fooddictionary/entry/?id=3686
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its the brand (Country Organics) or what, but I can't get them anywhere near soft without them burning to the pan! I feel like I'm eating hamster pellets!

I'm switching over from instant oatmeal, so I know there's going to be a consistency difference, but these are just BAD. No one else I live with will eat them - even my boyfriend, who'll eat anything.

Try quick oats. They are better for you than instant and almost as quick and they are part of the "Eat Clean Diet"

The Eat Clean Diet is not very clean eating if it says that quick oats are an allowable part of that plan. Still finding ways to sneak in overly processed foods when Clean Eating is based on the least processed or no processed foods.

Quick oats are not processed but rather ground up a little more so they absorb the water quicker.

Quick oats are steamed and partially cooked, therefore a processed food.
    Quick oats are oats which have been processed to greatly decrease the total cooking time required in their preparation. They are not the same as instant oats, oats which have been precooked, so that all they require is a quick heating. There are a number of ways to use quick oats, ranging from breads to breakfast cereal, and many markets carry quick oats, both packaged and in bulk. Like other grains, quick oats should be stored in a cool, dry place out of direct light so that they do not go bad before they are used.
  • siggensr
    siggensr Posts: 3
    Options
    soak them over night
  • gurlysmiles2001
    Options
    bump! i just bought these yesterday from the bulk bins which didn't come with directions so thanks for all the tips! and nutrition info i wasn't sure before why they are so healthy but heard they are the best :)