Moussaka Recipe

Options
r3097934
r3097934 Posts: 3 Member
Moussaka has to be one of my all time favourite comfort foods, especially during the colder months. I actually prefer it to lasagne, silky layers of aubergine work beautifully with rich tomatoey lamb mince and béchamel. And besides, aubergine is better for you than pasta ;)
Theres plenty of debate surrounding authentic moussaka recipes including potato or not, but I always include a layer along the bottom to soak up any excess moisture and give the dish some bulk, without adding too many unnecessary calories or refined ingredients like breadcrumbs.
I've tried to make this as lean as possible without sacrificing flavour or richness. It looks long but it's a quick one to whip up, I sometimes make this on a week night once i get home from work, it takes about 1.5hrs including baking time... Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1-2 large eggplant/aubergines, sliced into 2cm thick disks, sprinkled with salt and left to drain for 20 minutes.
1 med floury potato sliced into 1cm disks

Meat sauce:
Approx. 200g or 1 large fist size ball of lamb mince
Approx. 200g or 1 large fist size ball of lean beef mince
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion finely diced
1 tin of crushed tomatoes
2 tbs tomato paste
black pepper (to taste)
dried thyme (1 big pinch)
1tbs dried or fresh oregano

Bechamel/White Sauce:
2cups semi-skimmed milk
1tbs butter
2tbs plain flour
Bay leaf
1/2 onion
a few parsley stalks
1-2 cloves
1 egg yolk
Grated low fat cheese of your choice
nutmeg (optional)

1. Turn your oven on about 200C (400F i think?).
Once you slice the aubergine, sprinkle with salt and drain it for about 20-30 min to remove any bitter juices.
Wipe it dry then bake it while you make the meat sauce...you just need to dry it out really.

2. Meat sauce:
In a really hot pan, brown the mince in some olive oil, you.
When its cooked, add the chopped onions and the garlic and cook until the onions are soft.
Add all the other ingredients and simmer until its cooked. You might need to add a little bit of water, but dont get too excited, you want a fairly dry sauce...Check your aubergine.

3. White sauce (while meat sauce is simmering):
Over a low-med heat whisk the milk and flour until smooth, add the onion, parsley stalks, clove(s) and bay leave and heat up gently while stiring.
This should thicken up, if it doesnt mix a little more flour with some cold water and add it little by little.
Once thick, remove the onion, bay leaf, parsley stalks and cloves.

4. Take it off the heat, and let it cool slightly, add your egg yolk and whisk it though, this will also help thicken the sauce and add some richness. Then add your cheese, season with salt & pepper and a tiny pinch of nutmeg.

Assembly:
Put the potato slices in the bottom of your baking dish, add a little meat sauce then layer the aubergine. Add the rest of the meat sauce (I'm too lazy to do more than one layer so i just do 1 layer each of potato, aubergine, meat, and bechamel to top it off), pour over the white sauce and a little extra cheese over the top if you fancy it.

Cook for about 20-30 mins in the oven or until the potatoes are soft, use a skewer to check. Serve with some salad with a light vinaigrette.
If anyone actually makes this, i'd love to know how it turned out!

Rx

Replies

• jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    bump
  • KWSR16
    KWSR16 Posts: 91
    Options
    LOL our family has this on going joke with My Big Fat Greek Wedding...and the little girl talks about Moussaka in the movie, which the other little girls then "hear" as Moose Caca. Anyways...long story short...this would be hilarious to present to my goat riding aunt HAHAHA But it does sound really good. So I will give it a go.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This looks yummy. I'll be making some this weekend!
  • r3097934
    r3097934 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's delicious!
    I'm actually making this tonight, i'll post a picture of it...

Rx