Nutrition: Credible, reliable, scientific sources.

Options
With all the talk of "how much this" and "should I try that" it's surprising that very few people are actually looking to reputable sources for information. Many of the questions that we all have can and have already been answered by experienced doctors, dietitians, and scientists, and then published in accessible places.

The next time that you have a question about nutrition, fitness, or anything else health related, I recommend that you check one of these reputable websites first.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/index.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/MY00431

In fact, I suggest that you read through the information that they make available at least once.

Both the CDC (Center for Disease Control, a government agency) and the Mayo Clinic (a large, non-profit hospital and medical network with an amazing website full of resources) are relied upon by doctors and practitioners, and only proliferate information that is agreed upon and/or approved by the medical and scientific community.

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links! I do make an effort to read information from reliable sources. I have read several books and checked out legitimate websites - including Mayo Clinic. I have also gone to free seminars by a local doctor who is very knowledgeable about nutrition. I try to only post things here when I have heard or read them from a reliable source - but I am not always sure of specifics, I just remember the summary that floats in my brain!

Good reminder to people that we need to educate ourselves with valid information and not rely on everything we read here. But we can continue to help each other - and sometimes that does mean pointing someone to a legit website.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I don't think you said it, so I just want to make it known. A nutritionist is NOT a dietician. Not the same. They don't have to do training to stay up to date and what not. A lot of people can call themselves nutritionists.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I know that many people do try to educate themselves using good sources, and I'm glad that you do. I'm also glad that you post in forums and respond to posts. I think one of the great aspects of this website is that so many people ask questions and so many people try to answer them. That said, I think it would better for everyone if, when responding to a post, someone has a credible source for their information. Often times that's the case, but no one cites it.

Now, I know that the MFP forums are not a peer-reviewed research paper, but a simple reference to a website such as the CDC's or the Mayo Clinic's is often the most appropriate response to a question like "are carbs bad?" When I see the sorts of claims that people make, it makes me worry for the people who read and apply what is often faulty advice.

I visited a nutrionist (who was a registered dietitian), and because of what I'd already spent maybe an hour reading on the Mayo Clinic's website about nutrition, in addition to various other research, I had a great baseline of nutritional and dietary knowledge. Everyone (not just everyone on this website, but EVERYone) could and would benefit from also acquiring that baseline knowledge and keeping themselves informed.

Just trying to spread the word, thanks for helping!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    seconded!! you can buy a nutritionists certificate off the Internet, without having the proper knowledge. dietitians however, go to school and have to do hours of internships, then take a huge test in order to become registered
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    That is why they call this "social networking". When I ask people questions on here it is usually because I am wanting general info from other people going through similar situations as myself. I don't ever take the information I get here as the Bible truth...I still use "scientific sources" when needed, however...there is a huge difference between book sense and common sense. Social networking is all about being able to interact with others when we need support, encouragement, and also when we have questions. When it comes to asking a question about exercise, weight loss, or nutrition....there are times when hearing it from someone who has experienced something, lived it and breathed is far more valuable than information from some doctor or scientist in a lab somewhere. I think most people are aware there are "credible, reliable, scientific sources" out there.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    This is the disclaimer that appears at the bottom of any forum post:

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."
  • ChessRonin
    Options
    there is a huge difference between book sense and common sense.

True, but you'd be quite surprised at what people pass for common sense in nutritional, health, or fitness information, when it is directly contradicted by scientific fact or research.

For example, when people make claims like "you cannot have too much protein" or "try a no carb diet, it's healthy," what they are putting forward as common sense is simply untrue. People who ask questions and see these answers, however, may not know that these so called "common sense" responses are outright false. Also, a lot of questions could be answered before ever needing to be asked if the individual would read some basic and legitimate nutritional or other health guides.

I know there is an intrinsic value in someone's personal experience, but you should keep in mind that doctors and scientists are not disinterested persons either.

Now, as far as the social networking "social support" aspect, that function is one of the strongest aspects of this website, but really has nothing to do with this post. When someone asks "what exercises do you find have the best results" or "help, I need motivation," that is the perfect time for compassionate, empathetic, and common sense responses.

But when someone asks "how much protein should I be eating" or "do I need to take vitamins," this is the sort of situation when they should be directed to one of the websites that I linked.
  • meghantkav
    meghantkav Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Two more great (and credible) resources:

The MyPyramid website - mypyramid.gov

The American Dietetic Association website - eatright.org

In response to the nutritionist vs. RD - I am a Registered Dietitian in LA. In Louisiana, we have licensure that protects both the terms "nutritionist" and "dietitian", so I can be called either a nutritionist or dietitian. Some states do not have licensure, so watch out for those "nutritionists". A Registered Dietitian is your nutrition professional, and many RDs have advanced degrees in food and nutrition. The ADA website has a "find a RD" link if someone wants to find a RD in their area.
  • ChessRonin
    Options
    Two more great (and credible) resources:

The MyPyramid website - mypyramid.gov

The American Dietetic Association website - eatright.org

In response to the nutritionist vs. RD - I am a Registered Dietitian in LA. In Louisiana, we have licensure that protects both the terms "nutritionist" and "dietitian", so I can be called either a nutritionist or dietitian. Some states do not have licensure, so watch out for those "nutritionists". A Registered Dietitian is your nutrition professional, and many RDs have advanced degrees in food and nutrition. The ADA website has a "find a RD" link if someone wants to find a RD in their area.

Thank you!