I've hit 30 and can't lose weight

Options
When I was younger I always heard people say once you hit 30 it's so much harder to lose weight. I always thought they were nuts. I mean really... all you have to do is eat wisely and workout right? Am I the only one noticing that this is a true statement? I am now 32 and have to put in soooo much effort to lose 2 pounds. I am really trying to watch what I eat. I have been using this site to log my food. I can only get to the gym twice a week. But I also clean 3 houses for extra income each week. And that lasts about 3-4 hours a house. I figure thats a fair workout.

Replies

• jules0516
    jules0516 Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm 33 and yes its slow going and I'm working really hard but I'm hoping one day that hard work will pay off (hopefully before I get any older)
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I dunno.... I am turning 31 in less than two weeks and losing weight sucks just as much now as it did when I was 25. I think it is probably harder when you are 50 or 60 because you lose a certain percentage of muscle mass each year, which results in less fat burned during sedentary activities.

Most people on this site will probably tell you that weight loss is difficult regardless of what your age is. :sad:
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It may be harder when you reach 30, but I do believe it has alot to do with mental as well. That may sound silly but when you expect it to be harder, it usually is! I'm almost 48 and made the decision to do what it takes to get healthy. I think you will find that when you start to make significant changes in your lifestyle, you will start to see significant changes in your weight loss. My success has come from doing 3 things:

1. Counting calories (as in every single thing that goes into my body)
    2. Replacing high sugar drinks with water, and lots of it
    3. Exercising - even just walking has made a tremendous difference. Starting slowly and increasing distance and speed.

Try changing things up a bit and I think you will start to see success. Good luck!
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    seriously, im having a way more hard time at 27 then i did at 23 :sad:
    If any thing im putting 200% more into it this time around and the darn weight:explode: is taking a hold of my for its dear life!!!

so if you find a secret around this .....please fill a chic in!
  • kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    Options
    seriously, im having a way more hard time at 27 then i did at 23 :sad:
    If any thing im putting 200% more into it this time around and the darn weight:explode: is taking a hold of my for its dear life!!!

so if you find a secret around this .....please fill a chic in!

25 is wayy harder than 23. maybe because i'm doing it right for once? if thats the case i hope to keep what i lose OFF
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Yes, I've definitely noticed a difference. I gained weight during and after college and lost it all pretty rapidly when I was 23. I regained that weight after I got married and have only been able to take off half of it before completely stalling out. And I'm exercising more and eating better. I'm 31, rapidly approaching 32.
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    HA! you're not alone I'm 31 and kicking myself for not getting in better shape in my mid 20's. I was always natually thin until about 23 and then slowly but surely I've packed on about 25 lbs and it's incredibly hard to lose even 2 lbs! I've started running hopefully if I train to run a half marathon maybe i'll lose i'm also at 1200 calories a day.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I don't know how true that statement it is... I'm 37 yrs old and I've lost 30 something pounds since Jan 15. That was from diet and exercise. I also started with a lot more extra weight, which made it alot easier for me to cut weight fast. I know as I get closer to my goals the weight is going to take more effort to lose. This is my uneducated opinion, but I don't think it's any harder to lose weight in your 30s vs your 20s. My 20s is when I put all my weight on.. Now in my late 30s, I'm going to take it all off.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    do it now in your 30's because it does not get any easier after 40!!!!!!!