Subway

Options
nkster781
nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
I am so annoyed. Subway packs so much sodium in their food. Healthy my butt:grumble:

Replies

• mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    :sad: bummer, i never knew this, i thought they were the one safe place to go to while out and about
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The problem is not exclusive to Subway. Try to find a sandwich anywhere that is low in Sodium. As a matter of fact, try to eat any meal at a restaurant other than a Salad that is low in Sodium. Nearly impossible. As long as you don't eat pre-packaged food and food from restaurants every meal, you should be fine.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ugh, i know!! I had it yesterday and b/c of that went over my limit. This is why it's a treat for me, i don't eat it often
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think many if any takeaway food places do healthy food. They are there to get you addicted to their product. I try not to eat any food I haven't made myself. That way you have much more control over what you eat.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    :sad: bummer, i never knew this, i thought they were the one safe place to go to while out and about

They are the safest but bread is like that, its 50/50 bread vs ham.

If sodium is a big problem for your blood work/age then make it a salad for $0.50-$1.50 more depending on the location with ham or chicken breast. It is still the best choice for fast-food.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's the BEST of the WORST though! Depending on what you get, it's at least low in fat.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Haha WAAAAAYYYY less than other fast food places. There's not much sodium if you choose the sandwich correctly.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Honestly, any "healthy" food that you don't make yourself, from fresh ingredients, is probably very high in sodium. That's what they add to make it taste good!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    the sodium is in the bread, cheese, processed meats, pickles, olives, mustard, sauces, banana peppers, and jalapenos..........if you made the same sandwich at home it would still have too much sodium......:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

:flowerforyou: the difference with Subway is that you can order some things that have nutrition to go along with the sodium:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: eating at home is the only way to keep sodium down (and leave out the cheese, processed meats, pickles, olives, etc :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I heard Quiznos is better and actually has fresh meat and stuff.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fast food fan but I love subway, even so its a once a year treat...I hate splashing out on food that I can make cheaper at home!
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The sodium is mostly in the cheese and condiments.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    I hear ya. I got a 6 inch turkey sub on wheat the other day, with veggies and light mayo. And it had over 900mg sodium. I was like whaaat?
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I thought the soup would be good with my sandwich that I got...boy was I wrong! I got Minestrone! It had 910mg of sodium in that tiny bowl! Plus the sandwich...it set me over my sodium. I had no idea the healthier option for soup would have crazy amounts of sodium. Additionally, the soup had nothing in it...I got like 3 beans, 2 tomato pieces, a piece of celery...it was mostly broth.
  • gortfort
    gortfort Posts: 1
    Options
    Im in Sales and am always taking clients out to eat. Plus, because I am on the run, I never bring stuff from home. It just gets soggy or hot and to be honest not very appetizing. I do my best with my choices and caloric intake, but I don't know what to do. I am losing weight consistently, but it is getting tough eating right away from home.

Ideas?
  • jaysp87
    jaysp87 Posts: 32
    Options
    ALL lunch meat is high in sodium. Check out their website for low sodium meat picks (there aren't many but you can get an idea of what ones are the lowest compared). Or you could always just do a veggie sub. You can also pick off half the meat they put on it and save it for tomorrow. Or make it a salad or flat bread. Skip the sauces. Only get cheese if you are doing a veggie sub, if you are doing a meat, you can skip the cheese.

Their wraps have more calories and sodium than their breads. So don't do a wrap. And also, they have fit meals which is like a 4inch sub that would be better and more realistic to a normal size sandwich.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Most of all your calories and stuff come from the bread.....which is horrible since I'm such a breadie :). But yes they are sooo high in sodium. There should be some place that caters to us who are trying to lose weight. Bet they'd become popular!!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    The sodium is mostly in the cheese and condiments.

I was gonna say a large portion comes from the bread. Some of the cheeses aren't too bad but then you get higher fat. It's weird.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Always order salad when out?
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yeah I definitely know that eating at home is the best. It's just crazy. I decided to go with the Veggie Delite Salad with no dressing. I will use my cottage cheese as the dressing. Work is ordering it for us today. I am glad I looked up their info before ordering.