ramen noodles?

Options
How bad are ramen noodles?

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    SODIUM SODIUM SODIUM. Not so good on water weight and gain!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    and fat, they are just BAD! :smile:
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Don't know lol That means soooo bad for u!!!!!!! but love the salt fix!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    well i haven't looked at the ingredients list or eaten them since joining this site, but i will say that if you avoid processed salty foods like that you'll probably FEEL alot better and your body will be able to feed off all the wonderful nutrients found in REAL food to fuel your body properly and help you reach your goals more easily.
    just putting it out there.
    :)
  • princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not to mention one serving is half the bag. Since when does anyone only fix and eat half a bag of ramen noodles? They are high in calories, fat, sodium and don't even fill you up since there is really nothing to them.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    they are pretty bad, hon. I don't get that full for 400 cal, I can find so many things to eat for that many cal, and the sodium ALWAYS makes my fingers swell up like fat sausages or something. not attractive! I know it's quick and easy and doesn't seem like much, but that is the point, hardly any food for all that bad stuff!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    just for the sake of argument ... are we talking about just the noodles themselves, or the noodles and the (insert editorial comment) EVIL "flavor packets"...?
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No nutritional value @ all...
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    they're not that bad. especially if you skip the flavor pack, do that its basically instant spaghetti. throw in some olive oil, some pepper, maybe a little cheese, you have a nice quick lunch.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Well, one serving is HALF a pkg. which is just ludicrous. And one pkg. blows your sodium way out of the water for the day.

I still eat it occasionally but it's not good to stock up on it and have it around a lot. Low-sodium canned soups or something homemade with protein and veggies in it is always a better way to go. :)
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    they are pretty bad, hon. I don't get that full for 400 cal, I can find so many things to eat for that many cal, and the sodium ALWAYS makes my fingers swell up like fat sausages or something. not attractive! I know it's quick and easy and doesn't seem like much, but that is the point, hardly any food for all that bad stuff!

400 cals?!??!?! Wow!

I got progresso soup for 100 cals lolol
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Run! Run away as fast as you can!!

Fear the noodle :wink:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Even for plain ramen noodles, the only nutrition benefit is that they are high in iron. The sodium is lethal (1580 for 1 pkg) and that is without any added salt from a seasoning packet.. The calories, carbs, and fat are very high as well. 1 pkg give you 10 grams of protein, which is okay. But the negatives of eating that food far outweigh the benefits.

(Nutrition data from here: http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/maruchan/plain-ramen-noodles)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    OMG! Back AWAY from the Ramen Noodles! :noway:
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Even for plain ramen noodles, the only nutrition benefit is that they are high in iron. The sodium is lethal (1580 for 1 pkg) and that is without any added salt from a seasoning packet.

This can't be right ... it would seem to me that there's *no* *way* that plain noodles can have that much sodium -- now, with the flavoring packet, that much sodium makes sense, but something tells me that these numbers are straight off the noodles' nutritional info (and that, of course, would include the whole flavoring packet).

I've seen MFP food database entries that show *plain* ramen noodles at far less sodium, and those numbers make more sense...!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    No nutritional value @ all...

Exactly.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Substitue ramin noodles for whole wheat pasta instead when making your own soup. Delicious and very filling. A little goes a long way..lol.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    X,,,, that’s me making a cross with my fingers to ward off vampires, works on Ramen Noodles too.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have never understood the love for these things. Way too much salt. I would rather make my own noodles and season to my liking.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Even for plain ramen noodles, the only nutrition benefit is that they are high in iron. The sodium is lethal (1580 for 1 pkg) and that is without any added salt from a seasoning packet.

This can't be right ... it would seem to me that there's *no* *way* that plain noodles can have that much sodium -- now, with the flavoring packet, that much sodium makes sense, but something tells me that these numbers are straight off the noodles' nutritional info (and that, of course, would include the whole flavoring packet).

I've seen MFP food database entries that show *plain* ramen noodles at far less sodium, and those numbers make more sense...!

No, that nutrition information is specifically for Maruchan Plain Ramen Noodles, which is why I included the link in my post. But if you google “nutrition plain ramen noodles” you will find the same result. 790 mg sodium per serving and one serving = 1/2 package.