Veggie recipes

Options
Thanks to my husband (vegan) here are some things he makes that are wonderful.

Roasted string beans - Spread out string beans on a baking sheet, sprinklie with cayenne pepper to taste, roast for 10 mins at 425, sprinkle with a packet of Equal or Splenda and then back into oven for 10 more minutes. So delicious.

Roasted asparagus - same as above but sprinkle with red pepper flakes and NO Splenda.

My kids snack on both of these as soon as they come out of oven. More recipes to come...

Replies

• kitkat1781
    Options
    I'm so glad your posted this...I've been thinking lately about roasting vegetables, but have never seen a recipe that didn't call for covering them in oil! Can you just put them in the oven plain without any sort of oil?
  • Smartyfan
    Smartyfan Posts: 10
    Options
    Yes you can. All my husband eats is veggies, fruits and nuts - no oils, sauces, eggs, cheese, etc. He rarely cooks with oil and if he does he measures out no more than 1 tablespoon. I rinse these off and then lay them in pan. Spices stick to them fine.
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    Great, thanks!!! I can't wait to go home and try this tonight! :smile:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I love to roast veggies, its my favorite way to eat them! I like drizzle a small amount of oil so I get my healthy fats in but I use a lot of balsamic vinegar also.

I'm roasting up a batch today to have with dinner then have plenty for leftovers!
  • Smartyfan
    Options
    Roasting is the only way to go until summer hits and then its grilling. We also roasted fresh pineapple slices. My husband used a paintbrush and paints on vanilla extract before they roast. I don't think that's necessary but he likes it.
  • Smartyfan
    Options
    Roasting is the only way to go until summer hits and then its grilling. We also roasted fresh pineapple slices. My husband used a paintbrush and paints on vanilla extract before they roast. I don't think that's necessary but he likes it.