Opinions on whether or not to eat the calories you burn exe

Options
:laugh: Hi I just want to see what all of you are doing on your calorie intake. Are you eating the extra calories you earn from exercising or not. I have not been eating mine, but I just want to hear your thoughts on it???

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes as it is the only way to ensure you have the proper caloric deficit to meet your weekly weight loss goal. It is a simple math equation and you must eat all the calories to make it balance to your goal weekly weight loss.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

try this website hehe xxx
  • godsgiftjcp
    Options
    I dont eat mine. The only way I will eat any of them is if I workout at night and Im a little hungry when I get home. Even then, I only eat a very light snack.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Oh geez...not this again...
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3/4 of them to leave room for any miscalculations. I have lost 80 lbs doing this so it must be working. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them most of the time. It's the way this site was designed to work... your calories are already reduced before you exercise.
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    I eat back the majority of my exercise calories, but I don't burn 500 a day or anything. I exercise moderately maybe burn 800-1000 a week. From how I understand it MFP calculates your calories without exercise in mind, so it has the 500/3500 less calories to lose 1lbs a week (more if you are going for 2+).

This question is a loaded gun, it will never be settled. Everyone has their opinion on it. I do what works for me. I started my weight loss journey on Weight Watchers. I lose 11lbs in 6 weeks, then all the sudden it stopped, and I went a month without losing a lb. When a friend told me about this site I checked it out, and I realized I wasn't eating enough. My body was in starvation mode, as soon as I upped my calorie intake I dropped weight. I've been on MFP for 10 days and have lost nearly 4lbs. When I started I only had 8 lbs to lose to get to my goal.

I think it's important to keep your net calories above or at 1200.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    I eat about 3/4 of them to leave room for any miscalculations. I have lost 80 lbs doing this so it must be working. :)

Basically I do the same thing to adjust for the little calories that add up through the day that are missed. Some days I do have problems eating the extra calories and don't force myself if I don't feel hungry.
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good job alypri!

Most days I do not eat the the calories I get from exercising. Its not that I try and do that but I am just not hungry and I am not going to force myself to eat and then feel sick. But its not like I burned 500 calories and didn't eat anything, I usually use up half of that 500 calories, if that makes sense.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

bahahaha that's great!!
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    LOL @ abkeeling. I eat about 3/4 of mine on some days, some days I eat every one. I never NOT eat any at all. However, every body is different. Some people may do well with it others may not. I would recommend finding a good balance. To ensure I get 'er done when I do work out, I tend to eat a heavier breakfast so that way I'm not trying to cram it all in before 7 pm.
  • mamieblueeyes
    mamieblueeyes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, I did not know what to do I have never counted calories before :O)
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do not know how I could possibly eat back all these calories...A. I am not that hungry and B. If I try to eat all the calories back I will go over on fat, carbs, sodium and I do not want to do that either...what to do?
  • mamieblueeyes
    mamieblueeyes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh geez...not this again...
    Why even write this????????
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    as long as your net calories is 1200 I think you are good. I burned 600 calories yesterday, there was no way i was going to be able to eat all that back. I tried, too. So now I am focusing on keeping my net at around 1200. I dont want my body to go into starvation mode but it is hard to eat that much.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I do not know how I could possibly eat back all these calories...A. I am not that hungry and B. If I try to eat all the calories back I will go over on fat, carbs, sodium and I do not want to do that either...what to do?

You will not go over on fat as it is based on % of total calories, so your fat calories would increase as well. You don't have to eat more food to eat more calories, just make different food choices. Eat/drink foods higher in calories if you are having trouble getting to your goal intake.
  • erickirb
    Options
    as long as your net calories is 1200 I think you are good. I burned 600 calories yesterday, there was no way i was going to be able to eat all that back. I tried, too. So now I am focusing on keeping my net at around 1200. I dont want my body to go into starvation mode but it is hard to eat that much.

If you ate 1200 and burned 600 from exercise it is as if you only ate 600 calories and did not workout. This is not enough for anyone, you need to eat 1200 NET (1200 plus exercise) at the bare minimum.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    On days I know I'm going to have a big exercise burn, I eat more at lunch and breakfast. If I waited until the end of the day to try to cram an extra 900 calories in, I'd be up a creek!

And a glass of chocolate milk with a serving of unsalted peanuts is a healthy and delicious way to bump up the calories.