Garbage bags to lose weight?

Luna001
Luna001 Posts: 9
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi there!

I heard that wrapping your body (stomach, arms and chest areas) while running/different exercise will make you lose more weight, what are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Sounds like...well, a load of garbage!
  • you may lose water weight but not genuine weight!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    It would just make you sweat more..
  • jojowink
    jojowink Posts: 189 Member

Hysterical!!

Yes, I agree- that sounds a little strange and annoying!!
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    It it true you will lose water weight. I know when I was in high school the wrestling team would wrap in bags then sweats to lose water weight in order to make their weight class for the match. It would work if you wanted to look good for a night out but not for permanent loss..
  • It just helps you sweat more. Its more appealing to just use a belly pand. I got mine from Walmart for about $9.00.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    This is what wrestlers do to cut weight. It just makes you sweat out water.

Not very healthy.

It's not about weight, its about health, and lowering your body fat.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    You'll sweat more, and as soon as you take a drink of water, you'll reabsorb all the water you just sweated. It's a VERY short term temporary method.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Dangerous. Evaporation of sweat is the body's way of cooling itself off. You risk dehydration, heat stroke etc by foolish practices such as this and as soon as you drink fluids the 'weight' is back on. DOnt even think about it.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member

Hysterical!!

LOL
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139

Hysterical!!

I agree too.
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    I use a wrap every day I work out. It only helps you to lose excess water for the day. To be honest, once you drink a cup of water, it's all back. I do it because I have that not so sexy pooch and it helps to flatten it out for the day. I also got water retention pills from my doctor because I have an issue with it. You may want to ask your doctor about that. =]
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    Don't think it would be too healthy to do on a regular basis. Water loss temporary-chance of raising your body temp too high as well.
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    I saw this and had to comment.....

This is infamous in the wrestling world. I fought with my son (now 17) constantly about doing this. He would sneak around the house running in garbage bags to cut water weight, and yes for a match. He would lose 2-3 sometimes up to 6lbs from sweating.

It IS NOT healthy!!!! Don't do it!!! Listen to all of us! Just SAY NO to the garbage bag!!
  • Luna001
    Luna001 Posts: 9
    thanks for the replies, glad I posted this because now I know. People have told me about this that's all.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    bad idea, ever see 1000 ways to die. this is similar to 1 of the deaths.

This is only good if you need to cut weight in a sport that has weight classes and your weigh in is within a day or so and you may not make weight if you don't.

It is just water weight and as soon as you start drinking water again you will put 100% of it back on within a couple of days.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    You can't cool off. Dangerous. :noway:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Does anyone remember "sauna pants" or "sauna suits?" Big in the late 70's/early 80's? LOL!
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 240 Member
    This reminds me of the film the Full Monty lol.
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    You do burn calories sweating if Im not mistaken its about 300 calories an hour but should drink water while your in the bags to stay hydrated. Also sweating helps your immune system by indirectly cleansing your blood and lymph system. Lastly it is good for your skin.

So don't make yourself sweat to just lose water weight and put it back on but don't think making yoruself sweat is stupid either.
This discussion has been closed.