Going over

Options
So a few times this week and last week I have been going over on my Protein and Sodium. I have not be over on my Calories. I guess my question is how bad is it that I have been going over on Protein and Sodium?

Replies

• missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    I am not sure about protein, but I am a witness to the disasters of continuously going over sodium. If you continue to eat high sodium meals or foods your body will retain fluid and in turn you will gain weight on the scale, but water weight. So drink more water, yes more water to push out the extra sodium. A few weeks ago I had not lost weight for two weeks and when I started keeping my sodium under 2500 mg (that's what I eat) I ended up losing like 5 lbs of water weight in about three days. So it's true, keep your sodium low. I think the healthy mg intake is like 1500 but each is different.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I go over on my protein almost every day, some people say you can make adjustments to how much you need of certain things, but maybe you should start keeping an eye on your sodium intake.
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Protein overage isnt so bad but the more sodium you take in the more water you retain. Are you getting these from processed meat? If so try and find other sources of protein.
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    I agree. Sodium is worse. I am always over my protein, because I do a lot of weighttraining too. But protein controlles my appetite and keeps me full longer than carbs. So I eat a lot of this and feel fine. But i do watch the sodium.
  • jlcghs27408
    jlcghs27408 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have found that the only time I go over on my sodium is when I eat out or eat a lot of soup (not made from scratch). Try cutting down on eating out and that should help your sodium.
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: When I do go over In Sodium it's not to much....I Drink about 8 glasses of water a day thats about all I drink really maybe one cup off coffee and one cup of OJ. I will start to look a little closer at the Sodium. Thanks everyone for your help!
  • brendagangadin
    Options
    To have more protien is okay. It will keep you fuller longer, and mantain your muscle mass. Sodium intake, over will make you retain water. You should be drinking at leat eight glasses of water to get rid of the sodium. Try using dash seasoinngs, as a replacement to sodium.
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out hardly at all I think is coming from my lunch meat. I guess I will pick a lower sodium lunch meat from now on.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I buy a frozen bone in turkey breast or the whole turkey when its cheaper and roast it up then seperate the meat in baggies. I do 3 oz per bag. I freeze them and use them in sandwiches, wraps and lately adding it to my homemade tomato soup.

So much better than deli meat.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I buy low sodium lunch meat. I just got some yesterday on sale at walmart!