Help! How do you estimate for non-chain restaurants?

Options
I need help! We're meeting friends for dinner at http://www.eatyourpizza.com and I'm trying to anticipate what I'll order and eat. However, since it's not a large chain, I'm not sure how to estimate the calories... Any suggestions?

I'd hope to share a simple 8 inch maragrita pizza with my husband and then have a salad with lemon rather than dressing, but I don't know where to start on estimating the calories in the pizza.

Replies

• lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When I have been faced with this I end up "guessing" with a similar item from the database. Up your water consumption like crazy and have a GREAT evening out!
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    Maybe it's worth calling the restaurant ahead of time? Maybe they could say, we use such & such kind of cheese and we put such & such amount...then divide that into how many slices you'll have. If that seems too weird or too hard, it might be best just to find something comparable that's already entered. Aim high!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, estimate a bit higher and if you feel extra hungry later, have a small snack.
  • bparsont
    bparsont Posts: 50
    Options
    same here, just bring up a similar item and go from there. You'll be within the ball park, so go and enjoy!! :bigsmile:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would simply look up similar items from a chain (say California Pizza Kitchen) and add that to your diary. It will not be exact, but it will be close.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If I eat out it is rarely at a chain (unless work dictates otherwise). I do what others said- estimate to the best of your ability using foods in the database.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I go to the Domino's Pizza calorie counter and use that for my estimate. You're probably not going to like what you see. It might be a little higher than what you actually eat but it's better to overestimate.

http://www.dominos.com/pages/calculator.jsp
  • Dustybenbear
    Options
    Thanks all. I think looking at California Pizza Kitchen is probably the most similar.

The thing that always gets me is the bread and oil at Italian places! If it were just my husband and I, I'd just ask them not to bring it. I CAN have self-restraint.