Good Night Sleep = More Weight Loss

Options
Just saw this:

University of Chicago study of overweight adults following a balanced, restricted- calorie diet, subjects lost 55% more weight as fat (almost 2 lbs) after two weeks when they slept for 8.5 hours each night compared with a period of sleeping only 5.5 hours.

If you're short on sleep, study authors say your body produces more ghrelin, one of the hunger hormones. To keep munchies at bay, sleep for however long it takes you to feel well rested in the A.M.

Interesting!!!

Replies

• Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Interesting...thanks :flowerforyou:
  • blessedmommy2x
    Options
    This explains WHY I am at a stand still losing weight this week... because I am running off little to NO sleep.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    This is also a major part of Jillian Michaels program. She mentions sleep quality and duration a lot. Gee, I can not wait for bed time now. :)
  • jennlloyd
    jennlloyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Makes sense...must be why new moms have a hard time losing weight. Thanks!
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should forward this to my boss to explain why I need to come in late every day! :laugh:
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I completely agree because not only are you sleeping extra hours you would be eating, but you also have more energy to have a better workout and to make healthier choices. I know last night I slept way better than the night before and I have worked out A LOT more and still have energy leftover. It is definitely a good thing to try to do!
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    Wow!! I wish I could get good sleep!! I have such broken sleep and I drag so bad some days!!! I'll really have to work on that!! Thanks for the info.:yawn:
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I read this as 3 hours more sleep = 3 hours less eating time... sorry! :wink:
  • KTCali
    KTCali Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This makes sense ...thanks for the info! :smile:
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I don't get enough sleep as a rule and I believe it is negatively impacting my weight loss. :( It is one of my goals to work on.
  • nadiakim
    nadiakim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP all they are saying is that you wont eat because your sleeping. So if you need that extra help then just sleep longer. I was asking my husband what he thought about this article though, he said its because your muscles need more time to recouperate, so if you are working out then the extra sleep helps with that. Also muslces use more energy to recover so that is also a benefit to the extra sleep. Faster muscle recovery maybe?/
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    sleep sure does help. i am going to be on night shifts the rest of the month and i probably won't have quality sleep
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    Maybe I should forward this to my boss to explain why I need to come in late every day! :laugh:

Must try that one too! :laugh:

I've actually heard of this before and I guess it does make sense. Your body does a lot of repair work whilst you sleep so, if you don't get enough, you're not going to be ready to face the next day's challenges. The tiredness would result in you feeling more hungry, as your body would need the fuel to try and stay awake and active.

Good excuse to dive back under the duvet!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    more sleeping=more fasting...so of course your gonna weigh less....:wink:
  • susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    Options
    Great thought!!!
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    God do I know about this? When I have a bad sleep I don't stop eating all day. It's horrible.