Healthy Potatoes??

Options
judes91
judes91 Posts: 4 Member
Hi everyone,

I am new to this program and thrilled about how friendly everyone seems. I do need some HELP! I recently started dieting and watching my calories 2 weeks ago (along with lots of exercise). I love potatoes and have only been making a meat & a veggie for dinner to cut calories/carbs. This sometimes leaves me hungry after dinner, which is bad because I do not want to snack. Does anyone have a healthy recipe using potatoes that is not too high in calories?

Thank you,
Judy

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    baked then topped with plain yogurt.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Have a plain potato. Bake, roast or stew it.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    boil (steam I prefer) your potatoes, then mash em, no butter no oil no milk, add spices for the taste. I goofed and used cayenne pepper last week in one recipe instead of paprika, now I use it in my omelet for the extra kick of taste letting me not add the spice blends that seem to all have salt as their main ingredient.
  • moonay
    moonay Posts: 30
    Options
    I get a 250g jacket and cut it into wedges then sprinkle with paprika. Calories are from 192 depending on whether you cook in oil or dry etc.
  • poetdon
    poetdon Posts: 1
    Options
    Ok, well I like a baked potato with one of the Green Giant Broccolli and Cheese 40 calorie single trays on top. Its only 174 calories for the entire meal. You could also add the single snack packs of apples or apples and grapes found in the produce section for another 30 calories.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Cut it into quarters or smaller if you like. Then sprinkle with season salt, and bake. Not too much salt though...we know that sodium is a pain :)
  • jennlloyd
    jennlloyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them into strips like French fries and then put seasoning and a little olive oil on them and bake. They are so good if you love Fries like I do but soooo much healthier.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i dont really ever eat potatoes since it turns to sugar in the blood stream. and while i dont have diabetes, i still avoid pointless foods like that. (i eat potatoes only a few times a year) now i do eat sweet potatoes since they have more nurtritional value. Sorry i couldnt be more help.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the DQ ice cream and the kitkat bar for "pointless foods" than a potato, possibly the breakfast cereal at 11 grams of sugar for a cup too but my fav cereal has 13 grams a cup when I fail to mix it half and half with bran flakes!

That said I haven't had nearly enough potatoes lately, grew a bunch in the garden this year but once again storage failed to get them cleanly through the winter, too much light AND too much heat this year being in a "cold-room" that couldn't be cold because it' shares the wet-wall with the bathroom.
  • crebbe
    crebbe Posts: 18
    Options
    I've been looking more into raw foods and have a recipe for mashed potatoes:

■3 cups cauliflower florets
    ■1/2 pine nuts
    ■1/2 cup fresh thyme leaves
    ■1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    ■2 cloves of garlic
    ■olive oil and salt to taste

Directions--
    ■Place all the ingredients in the food processor and process until you get a nice fluffy “mashed potatoes”-like consistency.

Haven't tried it yet but should be good! Ofcourse you can heat this or add gravy if you want!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    i dont really ever eat potatoes since it turns to sugar in the blood stream. and while i dont have diabetes, i still avoid pointless foods like that. (i eat potatoes only a few times a year) now i do eat sweet potatoes since they have more nurtritional value. Sorry i couldnt be more help.

Potatoes are a simple carb . . . but a good, low sodium source of carbs. Sugar isn't horrible on its own, the body needs it to function. Potatoes do have their place. That said, I don't eat them everyday . . . and sweet potatoes are just plain better, tasting as well.

I like the idea of cutting them into fries, though I usually end up just baking them and topping them with grilled chicken breast and low sodium seasonings . . . pico de gallo is a good topper as well. Sweet potatoes are awesome cut up like fries and baked with minimal oil and good low sodium seasoning! Yummm!
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with potatoes. I personally, don't eat a lot of them. Have you tried Rutabagas? I just tried them for the first time about a month ago and love them. To me they are similar to a potato...but lower in calories and carbs. I just make them the same as a potato...steam, bake...ect. To me they have a little cabbage flavoring to them (I think that's the best way to describe it). I also love sweet potatoes. So if your looking for a new veggie...maybe try one of those...:)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Yes you do "tater tots", shredded potatoes, baked lays chips, steak fries etc. (these are potatoes, in a refined form and are a lot worse than a regular "real" potato)
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the DQ ice cream and the kitkat bar for "pointless foods" than a potato, possibly the breakfast cereal at 11 grams of sugar for a cup too but my fav cereal has 13 grams a cup when I fail to mix it half and half with bran flakes!

That said I haven't had nearly enough potatoes lately, grew a bunch in the garden this year but once again storage failed to get them cleanly through the winter, too much light AND too much heat this year being in a "cold-room" that couldn't be cold because it' shares the wet-wall with the bathroom.

Potatoes might be the least of her worries . . .
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love love love mashed potatoes, so I make them with yukon gold potatoes, they already have a buttery flavor to them naturally, leave the skins on and then put in some fat free skim milk.

Alternatively, if you like the taste of red potatoes, you could use them as well.

But I have never been one to add butter to my mashed potatoes anyway. If I want a different flavor in my mashed potatoes, I use red potatoes with the skins on and mash them and then mix in some peas. I love that!

Also, I like to chop and pan fry red potatoes. All they need is a little pepper. They don't need salt or butter or anything. I love them that way.

And potatoes ARE healthy. They are naturally fat free. You just need to be sure not to add anything to them!
  • emmaclement
    emmaclement Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lots of gluten free websites have recipes for potatoe based dishes my fave is lemon cake

200g butter
    200g golden caster sugar
    4 eggs
    175g polenta
    250g mashed potatoes
    zest 3 lemons
    2 tsp gluten-free baking powder

1.Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter and line a deep, 20cm round cake tin. Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the egg, beating after each addition. Fold in the polenta, cold mashed potato, lemon zest and baking powder.
    2.Tip into the tin, level the top, then bake for 40-45 mins or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack after 10 mins cooling. Mix the granulated sugar and the lemon juice together, then spoon over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides. Let the cake cool completely before slicing.

depending what butter you use and how big your slices are i think it can work out as low as 220 kcal per 8th
  • kgraves2005
    Options
    Pandorian & Tuckersn, this website is for support. Your comments are rude and inappropriate. She clearly stated she is new to the program. The hardest part of losing the weight is actually starting the program. Good for you, that you are actively searching for advice and healthy recipes. Good luck.

Oh, I completely understand the potato thing though. I will have a baked potato with salsa and nonfat sour cream. I also use zero calorie spray butter (Olivio has a brand), sea salt, and pepper.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I peel and chop potatoes and add 2 tbls fat free ranch, 2-3 tsp of parm (depends on how many potatoes) some salt and pepper to taste with some garlic. Roast in the oven until tender and they are SO good. I don't even miss my mashed potatoes with those up my sleeve.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mashed potatoes! To keep things under control, I use the startchy water that I boiled them in instead of milk and butter. You have to add some salt and pepper for taste but it satisfies the craving! I also like to add some fresh herbs.

I will cut sweet ones too and bake them with a little cooking spray and sea salt. yummy! Roasted red ones are good and believe it or not, grill them! Cut into discs, cover in EVOO (good fat), salt and pepper and slap them babies down! UNREAL! Hope this helps!!
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You can boil and mash and add a little fat free or low fat sour cream to them instead of butter. add some dill to that, or other herbs and it's a good mashed potato. You can also make mashed bauliflower. Roast your cauliflower with a little evoo and salt and pepper. blend with some skim milk or fat free sour cream. season to taste.

also, I like the little red new potatoes...quarter them and roast with a little evoo and salt and pepper.

sweet potatoes are great!!!