Eating out the healthy way?

Options
Or is there a healthy way? I ask because as of Saturday night I will be on the road for my first American book tour. I'm still keeping my work out routine, but it's the eating I'm worried about.

Where can I find some sensible cal friendly foods? I know we won't always have the option to cook a healthy meal. I was thinking about stocking a fridge with veggies and fruits, but I know I need more than that. I know Applebee's has an under 500 cal menu, but at the same time I don't want eating out each night to be my only option. During part of the tour I will be stopping through my hometown (Hamilton, Ohio) And I'm allowing myself to eat at two places I miss, Gold Star Chili and Richard's. I just don't want to go over board and hinder myself on my journey.

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Wendy's: Grilled Chicken Go Wrap and Mandarin Orange Cup = 300 calories

I would say, just check th calories of the foods you want before you eat them and stay as healthy as you can. It's pretty hard to do it on the road so don't be too hard on yourself.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If there's a trader joes in whatever area you're in, they have terrific freshly prepared salads that are low in calories (my current favorite is the chicken roasted beet...280 cals w/dressing). Grocery stores have some fresh prepared foods too.

As far as restaurants, if you can look up the nutritional informatoin on their website prior to eating, it'll help you out. If not, scan the menu for fish and chicken dishes that are simply prepared. And my number one eating out rule....DRESSING ON THE SIDE.
  • lynngosselin
    lynngosselin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think that if you choose a salad with the dressing on the side so you can dip your fork and then take your salad you would be fine. Do go eat at your to favorite place but don't over eat and everything will be fine.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Try to eat half of what you normally would. Eat slowly and drink plenty of water. When you start to feel full stop. Maybe share a meal with someone instead of getting one. Then you can still get things you like that might not be the best choice but you're getting a normal portion.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Almost all big chain restaurants have a website that contains nutritional information. I usually try to look and see what they have and plan ahead. I would agree, making sure you are stocking up on healthy snacks and watching how much you snack you'll be ok. When you go into a restaurant that you are not sure of the contents just be sensible with the menu. Look for lean proteins, like fish and chicken. Look at the toppings and sides. If you can ask to sub fries and potatoes with salads and steamed veggies. Just know you will probably over load on sodium more than you will calories when eating out. And don't be afraid if you indulge at your home town places, you've earned it. :) One last tip...maybe up your workout for the time to offset any calorie overage. :) Have fun!!
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know being on the road isn't easy. But, I just don't want to give up on my routine. I really need to stay on track right now. I'm sure between Minnesota and most of the east coast I can find some healthy yummies :)
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I know being on the road isn't easy. But, I just don't want to give up on my routine. I really need to stay on track right now. I'm sure between Minnesota and most of the east coast I can find some healthy yummies :)

Stopping in MN???
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Most sit down resturants will cook your food to your specifications. Just watch out for the sodium intake when eating out. Its usually in the upper 1,000 to upper 2,000 per meal. That can hinder your weight loss as well. Drink plenty of water.
  • lotrisneat
    lotrisneat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Invest in the book "Eat This, Not That". Very eye-opening. For example, the pecan crusted chicken salad at TGIFriday's has ~1500 calories. When eating out, NEVER assume that something is healthy just because the name sounds healthy.
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I eat out, I usually eat a big salad before I go so that I'm already somewhat full. I don't want to risk consuming a super-high calorie meal so I usually order a couple appetizers (usually a soup and salad or grilled protein) or order a couple of their healthy sides and keep it at that. Not sure if this works, but I heard that eating with your left hand (or if you're a lefty, using your right hand) when eating. This makes you eat slower and hopefully will make you feel full sooner.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post...be careful of the salad trap. Most of the time a salad is a great way to go but some can have hidden calories (think cheeses, croutons, tortilla strips, bacon, etc). Look at what it includes and most importantly watch what dressing it comes with. Someone else made a good point to not just assume something is healthy because of its name. Always read what it includes and ask the server what it has with it if unsure. Again chicken and fish are usually your best bets if served and prepared with the right ingredients. :)