Sharing what I learned

Options
My job offered a health seminar at lunch today. I learned that when we diet and don't exercise, our bodies lose muscle which results in slower metabolism and therefore more fat. To burn fat, we need to increase our muscle size by strength training. The more muscles we have the higher our metabolism and the more we get to eat (no more deprivation).

The presentation also recommended doing band exercises during breaks. They are simple and can be done easily while sitting in your chair or while standing in your cube. The bands fit easily in a drawer/cupboard.

Another thing to do is increase HDL fats since it works as a roto-rooter for our arteries. I'm going to try a half avacado skim milk shake for breakfast every once in a while as a way to get in more of the good HDL fats.

Recommended sites to visit is www.hillsphysicians.com for general health topics (the presenter was from Hills Physicians Medical Group), and for a really good at home body fat analyzer, http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

Hope what I learned helps you, too.

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Another thing to do is increase HDL fats since it works as a roto-rooter for our arteries. I'm going to try a half avacado skim milk shake for breakfast every once in a while as a way to get in more of the good HDL fats.
    I'm sorry but this shake sounds pretty yucky! Good luck sucking that one down! :tongue:
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I love avocados. Add a wee bit of sugar and for me, it's pure bliss. My mom used to feed me avocado and sugar mixed with milk as a breakfast food when I was a kid. It took a little getting used to, but if it's healthy for my body it's worth chugging down. After time the palate adapts.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    So how do you make them? Maybe a little sweetest helps. I like avocados but it sounds weird to make them into a shake!
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    So...

What if you just generally do not have muscle? Me, I exercise but it' mostly cardio and therefore lower body. I have a complete lack of muscles in the upper part of my body (and don't wish to gain any quite frankly..) But I'm talking about those people who just diet and loose weight fine :S

I don't understand this! I need more info I suppose
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you generally do not have muscle, then you don't have the muscle to increase your metabolic burn. For women, in general, building muscle does not increase your size. We don't have the testosterone. There are few "ripped" women who would classify as a body builder. Many who do press hundreds of pounds. But a nice, lean fit and strong woman doesn't press hundreds of pounds. Cardio will burn calories, but if you don't have muscle then you aren't burning enough calories when you are resting. From what I learned today at the health seminar, if you just diet and lose weight, what you are really losing is a good percentage of muscle. So, when you stop eating less, your body will put on pounds of fat. You need the muscle mass to prevent fat from taking over.