BC Pills

Options
I've been taking Alesse for just over a year now, but today when I went to get my prescription refilled, they gave me something called aviane? I asked the pharmacist and she said it's just the generic brand of Alesse, but I've been given a DIFFERENT generic one before, so this all seems fishy. I googled it though, and there seem to be awful side-effects with aviane, much more than most, which include WEIGHT GAIN. Oh, the horror. I don't know what to do, though. I'm supposed to start my new pack tomorrow, but I don't want to take these, either. :brokenheart:

Replies

• klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    I've been taking Alesse for just over a year now, but today when I went to get my prescription refilled, they gave me something called aviane? I asked the pharmacist and she said it's just the generic brand of Alesse, but I've been given a DIFFERENT generic one before, so this all seems fishy. I googled it though, and there seem to be awful side-effects with aviane, much more than most, which include WEIGHT GAIN. Oh, the horror. I don't know what to do, though. I'm supposed to start my new pack tomorrow, but I don't want to take these, either. :brokenheart:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    It is the exact same medical ingrediant, Alesse has all of the same side effects as it is the exact same drug, dont worry about it, if you didn't gain on Alesse, you wont gain with this

Anne
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    weight gain is a potential side effect of most BC pills. But it is very minor weight gain. we're talking 1-2 pounds. If the pharmacist said its the same, trust it. They are as or more knowledgeable about that stuff as doctors are.
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of generic bc pills. It's irrational really because I take generic everything else gladly, but.... the name brand has worked like a charm for 5 years with no side effects and... and... I don't want to pop out any little ones anytime soon!!

So I shell out the $50 every month for the stuff and sleep easy. :wink: I guess that's not really helpful at all. :laugh:
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't know how you feel about other forms of BC, but I have an IUD and I swear by it. Much cheaper than pills, and I don't have to do anything. It even took away my periods! On the pills, though, I wouldn't worry.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Don't know how you feel about other forms of BC, but I have an IUD and I swear by it. Much cheaper than pills, and I don't have to do anything. It even took away my periods! On the pills, though, I wouldn't worry.

I agree, but the problem is a lot of doctors don't recommend and won't give women who have not had children an IUD because of the shape and size of the uterus. I wanted one, couldn't have it. I opted for the ring instead. It's great if you have trouble remembering to take your pills because you only need 1 monthly, and it doesn't have yucky awful side effects like the patch and the needle do.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why a pharmacist would give you a generic drug if you didn't ask for it. If you are leary on taking it, I would go back and ask for your original prescription, especially if the original was already affordable for you. If there is any change in ingredients, not only could there be different side effects but the effectiveness of the bc could also be lessened, so be careful there as well.
  • aprildpettitt
    Options
    I don't understand why a pharmacist would give you a generic drug if you didn't ask for it. If you are leary on taking it, I would go back and ask for your original prescription, especially if the original was already affordable for you. If there is any change in ingredients, not only could there be different side effects but the effectiveness of the bc could also be lessened, so be careful there as well.

I work in a pharmacy in VA, and I know that our laws state that when a generic is available it must be substituted. This can be over-ridden if either the customer requests it (they will pay more this way) or if the doctor writes the script for "brand medically necessary". I would suggest asking your doctor to write it this way, then you wouldn't have to pay as much to get the brand. I've had a lot of people who get brand bc and thyroid medications tell me that the generics either made them feel sick, not work as well, or have more side effects for them. Generics are required by law to be "therapuetically (sp?) equivalent" so there may be small variations in the chemical composition. Still, some of our customers just want the brand and most of the doctors I've noticed haven't had a problem writing a script for brand only. Now if only we could get the government out of bed with the pharmaceutical companies :laugh:
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    Sadly the pharmacy claims they don't carry the brand name. I just moved from somewhere else, so this is my first time getting the new generic form.