drinking more but appear dehydrated

Options
ok, i normally drink tea, i love tea white no sugar and i normally have 4-5 cups a day nothing else (the ammount does vary) but i'm trying to drink more water and in the past 2 days i'll have had 3 cups of tea and yesterday i had 3/4 glasses of water and today i've had at least 5 so far and will probably have another one before bed, but i've just been to the loo and apparently i'm dehydrated (we all know how to work this out i think, no need for details).

why?

i've drunk way more than i normally drink (have never been a fan of fluids)of tea or water and i know i'm still off the magic 2 litres a day but i'm still surprised at this as its very noticable

i;d be interested to hear your thoughts, my diary is open and i know i'm not the healthiest of eaters but i'm working on that lol

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    ive noticed my is def better but i am drinking a lot more than u, am new so unfortunately havent got a clue 2 ur question sorry lol:smile:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    How long had it been since you'd gone? Sometimes, no matter how much you drink all day, if it's been a decently long time since you last went it can still be darker than normal simply due to the concentration of other minerals that have built up in your system during that time.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i'm just bamboozled as i don't normally have this issue when swigging tea, tis very strange, especially as fluid intake has generally increased over past 2 days
  • whiskey9890
    Options
    ahh wolfchild i think we cross posted but that may explain it as i hadn't "been" all shift so actually about 7 hours, hmmm i shall keep an eye on it though
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options
    I'm not sure how accurate this is but caffeine is a diuretic so if your tea has caffeine in it you will expel more water than if you just drink water....you know what I mean?
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Tea is a diuretic or rather caffeine is, when you drink more water your body is going to start flushing out the excess waste, but for the first little bit it wil hold onto the water in an attempt to preserve it (perceived as the details you mentioned) when you couple both together you will dump more waste when drinking more water, this is quite common as first until you are drinking the proper amount. If you are only drinking tea then the body is essentially getting dehydrated and yes I love my tea as well same as you but I limit it to no more than 3 mugs a day to avoid the high caffeine content. Tea is also a good antioxidant and the benefits are well noted so try for decaf teas if possible.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When you are dehydrated your body will use the water fist for vital organs and such. It may also pull water from other places if you are not taking in enough. Did you change your diet recently too? I don't know what you are eating, but sometimes "diet" or other processes foods don't contain the water that is found in whole foods. So if you were getting enough hydration from what you were doing before, you might want to reevaluate the foods you are eating now as well. Make sure you drink the minimum 64 ounces of water in addition to your diet and see if you improve in a day or so. If you are drinking the min. recommendation and eating a well balanced diet and are still dehydrated, you should see a doctor. Most likely, your recent changes have "confused" yor body and it is just acting accordingly. But don't wait more than a day or so to see if it improves.
  • susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    Options
    I drink more water when I use a straw. I really don't know why but it works!
  • Jill219
    Jill219 Posts: 2
    Options
    If the tea you were drinking had caffeine in it you would "go" more often (a diuretic). Your body is probably using the water you are drinking. Also, the salt content of your food can affect how much you eliminate.
  • brafordrm
    brafordrm Posts: 19
    Options
    It's possible that you are retaining the water because your body has been so dehydrated and it is overcompensating. Caffeine will work as a diuretic and force you to pee...hence the dehydration in the first place. If you continue drinking more and more water, you body will start to absorb only what it needs and dispose of the rest.

If you drink caffeine throughout the day as well as the water, you need to drink more water.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Also are you taking vitamin pills? They can turn things interesting colours that have little to do with your level of hydration.

I would say though, if you've gone 7 hours awake without needing to pee, you're still not drinking enough :huh:
  • whiskey9890
    Options

I would say though, if you've gone 7 hours awake without needing to pee, you're still not drinking enough :huh:
    i make up for it during the night :grumble: