Should I go against my doctors suggestion... Please help!!

Options
Hi, I have been journaling my food, calories and sodium by the suggestion of my doctor. This has been a tremendous help to me in seeing in black and white what I am eating and why I am in the "morbidly obese" category. My dilemma is, at my first doctor visit 6 weeks ago, my doctor recommended that I set my caloric daily goal at 800. Well, I didn't exactly do that, I followed the recommended goals set on myfitnesspal, and I was staying under that. When I went back 2 weeks later to get my blood work results I showed her that I was journaling every day "religiously" and how I was exercising more and drinking more water and I lost 3 lbs and I was not feeling hungry. She was proud of that, but my sodium was way too high. Okay, I get that, so no more pre-packaged meals or canned soups. But she went back to the 800 calories. I have not eaten much over the 800 and my body feels hungry, even after I have eaten. But also, after I have eaten my meal I feel like I have gained, so I go on long brisk walks everyday to hopefully get rid of it. On one hand I feel that its just my body not understanding what its going through because its never been deprived for this long and that its a whole new way of living and until my body makes that adjustment its going to feel like this. But on the other hand, I fear that I am putting my body in shock in a "bad way" and will mess up my metabolism. I have been told by my friends and family that this is not right and actually unhealthy way to lose and not a "realistic" calorie goal. I have placed a call to my doctor, but no reply just yet. I hope to soon, but I was just wondering if there are any nutritionists or dietitians or someone that has experienced the same thing that can possibly give me advice.

Thank you in advance

Naomi

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Personally I would not go less than 1200 cals a day and more if exercising!
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I think you should seek a second opinion - if you're starving your body, instead of helping it lose the weight, then you could be in trouble later on. Walking is great, though, keep it up!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Drs are not nutritionist and unless they are certified to do so should not be giving out such information.

I would seek our WHY she is recommending such a low calorie diet.. possibly by just flat out asking her... and go from there.

Also maybe she can refer you to a nurtitionist that can give you proper guidance if she feels you are not doing well.

But it seems to me your doing well on your own.
  • mavila1978
    Options
    800 sounds really low especially if you're not provided with a strict list of foods to eat and not to eat. I wonder what type of diet she's recommending, if she can provide you with literature about the studies regarding such a calorie restricted diet, or if she is just full of it.
  • naomihandler
    naomihandler Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am not a nutritionist or a dietition, but it sounds like you should visit one. 800 seems like waaaay too low. You must be so hungry! I would make an appointment with someone who specilizes in nutrition and work out a better number, especially since you are getting in some exercise too.

PS. I'm Naomi too :):)
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a 1600 calorie diet and when i first started it I felt like that was torture...but 800??? Wow. I don't know that so sounds not right to me. The dietitian they had me seeing always recommended not under 1200....you might want a second opinion on that one!
  • Isley361
    Isley361 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am no Dr. by any means but am a Paramedic with enough medical knowledge and training to know that 800 calories is not enough for anyone! That is crazy! Your body needs a certain amount of calories to function. I cannot believe that your Dr. would even suggest this. By doing this you will basically be starving yourself, your metabolisim will drop and your body will go into starvation mode, storing everything and potentially causing you lots of medical problems. If your Dr. is concerned about your sodium, there are ways to control that and at the same time will help you drop weight as well but if I were you, I would not take your Dr.s advice regarding the calories and get a second opionion from a qualified nutritionist, not a doc in the box.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My doctor said noone should go under 1200 calories. It's not healthy.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you look up some information on dieting for people who are morbidly obese... it does tend to say that they can go with less calories because they have a bigger store. But if you feel deprived up your input! you know what your body is asking you for! And make your opinion known to your doctor!
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not a professional by any means, but I would consider seeking a second opinion. 800 cals seem so low, no matter how much weight a person has to lose. Sorry I'm not more helpful, but just though I'd throw in my two cents. Good luck with everything!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    if you are following the mfp suggestions and losing the weight and making better choices then you shouldn't have to go to an 800 cal diet losing weight and all that has proven that.

Sodium is a hard thing to over come, but you know it comes from pre packaged so now you can track that and eliminate some of it by making better choices. I have struggled with sodium I have really good days and some bad days but more good then bad. If ya need more ideas or anything I'm willing to share what I've learned.
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it's very important to listen to your body. 800 is not healthy, even for the person that's 120lbs. You're right. You will throw your body into starvation mode, and will hinder, not help. If you were feeling good at whatever your caloric goal was before, and losing weight, I would stick to that. You know your body better than any Dr will.

Just my opinion. Good luck!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Your body needs more then 800 calories a day to survive! I would stay around 1200 a day or even 1600... You will still lose weight and it will come off faster as you learn to lower your sodium and up your water intake...
  • msiddiqi
    msiddiqi Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah, 800 calories per day seems ridiculously low. FIgure out your base metabolic rate (which I think you can do on this site under Tools) -- this represents how many calories you'd burn just lying in bed all day. Whatever that is is really the minimum of what you should consume -- then continue with your exercise. 800/day? Crazy!
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that had to have a hip replacement but because he was so overweight they couldn't do anything untill he dropped the weight and he needed to do it fast. His doctor sent him to Lindora and they had him on a 600 cal diet a day. He dropped the weight and they have slowly moved him back up to a "normal" calorie intake...Maybe your doctor wants you to drop the weight fast but from what I understand when you are on a low calories diet like that you should be also seeing someone a few days a week to make sure your body is reacting to it ok..I would def talk to the doctor and express your concerns and make him/her explain why so low. Good luck to you!!! Either way your making a difference in you and your going to succeed! Congrats on your 3lb weight loss!! That is Fantastic!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get a 2nd opinion as it never hurts, some docs will recommend such a massive cal cut to get you to drop weight but I did not see in your post if she recommended the content of those cals to you. I applaud you for making the effort and I have had quite a few people ask me what I have done to lose weight but furthermore make such a dramatic turn around in my overall health. I started clean eating and I make an effort to comprise my diet of 90% clean eating as best I can. I would hope that she recommended seeing a dietitian to get a proper meal plan and not just say drop to 800 cals and that is it.
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    Without wanting to act like I know more than a doctor... in this case I do!
    800 calories is not only extremely unrealistic, it is also setting you up to fail, because you are so hungry that you end up binging anyway. Also it is unlikely that you are getting all of the nutrients you need on an 800cal diet.
    I woud stick to the standard recommended minimum of 1200 & maybe exercise more if you feel like your not losing enough weight. Also reducing your sodium will surprisingly help you on your weight loss journey. Good luck!
  • ltlmsmrysnshine
    Options
    I definitely agree with the other girls! I don't think it's safe to restrict youself to that low of a calorie intake! I would go with what's on here, and btw- I am proud of you for your adjustments!!! You go girl!!!! Keep it up! Lift yourself up and look for support on here! XOXO
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Please get a second opinion, or see a nutritionist. If your body is asking for food, that's because it needs it.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Some doctors persribe a Very Low Calorie Diet for people who are morbidly obese. The risks of being over weight in some cases out weigh the risks of the diet. If you have a lot to lose, you're not going to harm yourself by going very low for a short period of time.

As for wether or not to follow the advice, that's up to you. If you need that "boost" for confidence to help you stick with it, do it. If you want fast results and are sure you can follow the plan after you lose the initial weight, do it. If you'd rather be the tortise than the hair, don't.