OvErtRaiNinG

meljean30
meljean30 Posts: 22
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Weeks and weeks go by, bustin you butt, eating right, killin it 6 days a week 1-2 hours a day. Weight is comming off at a steady rate.. then the WALL .. a week comes and goes, you have been training just as hard.. SORE everyday.. WILD dreams, and no progress. On the scale at least. Which for me is a good thing to see going down. THE WALL.. Plateau.. OVERTRAINING.. Id think so.. Who else has this happened to ?

I took 3 WHOLE days off. woah..

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    A true plateau is about 4 weeks.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    the scale is the greasy car salesman of the weight loss world girl look to inches to tell the real story, also shaking up the diet with calorie cycling and every few weeks having a splurge day will help avoid those dead spots. As crazy as it may sound the body can adapt to damn near anything and will do so in an attempt to level out, keep it guessing and when in doubt change something either cals (meaning more not less) or workouts.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    This happened to me when I first lost weight. I lost 2 lbs a week for 7 months and then nothing. Looking back, I may have put myself into starvation mode over a weekend of barely eating anything or I was taking in too many calories to lose any more weight.
  • ahbach2005
    ahbach2005 Posts: 119
    It happens

I am impressed on the 1-2 hours of training per day - 6 per wk. I used to train like that in college.

There is a growing number of people who are saying that "more is not better..better is better"

It is working for me along with tracking my diet here on the site. Sadly I can not look back at my measurements because I haven't taken time for them....but it is working. I work out no more than 45 minutes...typically 30 +/- and it is working.

You may need to dial it back just a little to recover....then start back in

Do you strength train...it does help to cirquit train

Remember progress is in inches and health as well.......

Good luck
  • meljean30
    4 weeks huh!.. i believe it!! and im in it.. I have cut back this week for sure.. as far as training. .. . . I do track inches.. ive lost near 44 in the past year and a half. WOAH! lol.. that is a huge deal for me.. my daughter is 46 inches tall. i look at her and laugh.. that is alot! I know i need to ease up a little. and yes this week i ate PASTA for the first time in FOREVER.. TWICE.. and really enjoyed it!

thanks for the support and feedback! love it!
  • meljean30
    oh and yes i strength train.. i love it! and yes the scale is a snake!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    This happened to me when I first lost weight. I lost 2 lbs a week for 7 months and then nothing. Looking back, I may have put myself into starvation mode over a weekend of barely eating anything or I was taking in too many calories to lose any more weight.

A weekend will not put you in "starvation mode" even if you don't eat anything. "Starvation mode" requires a long term major caloric deficit. Fasting has been studied extensively, and the research is all showing that even a fast up to 72 hours does not seriously or permanently slow down metabolism. Once you start eating again, your metabolism ramps up again. However, if you only ate say 700 calorie for weeks you metabolism would significantly slow. Weight loss might seem to stop, but in reality at 700 calories you would still likely still be losing something. It just might not show on the scale for a while, and what would be lost is not fat alone, but muscle, bone density, and other things you don't really want to learn. Only those who have other issues would not lose stuff at that sort of calorie level, and that would be the exception.
This discussion has been closed.