Who's putting WOOD in your food??

Options
MzBug
MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
Ran across this in my browsing today.... My Fiber One cereal is going in the trash! No wonder it is so high in fiber...

http://money.msn.com/shopping-deals/who-is-putting-wood-in-your-food-thestreet.aspx?cp-documentid=6792745&GT1=33029

Replies

• Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I heard McDonalds uses wood as filler in their milkshakes or something like that? sawdust
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Read the article and did some research. It is actually not bad for you.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So that's where the fiber comes from, at least it's organic. :laugh:
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Check this out though:

cellulose
    [sel′yoo͡lōs]
    Etymology: L, cellula, little cell
    a colorless, insoluble, indigestible, transparent, solid polysaccharide that is the primary constituent of the cell walls of plants. In the diet it provides the bulk necessary for proper digestive tract functioning. Rich sources are fruits, such as apples and bananas, and legumes, bran, and green vegetables, especially celery. See also dietary fiber.
    Mosby's Medical Dictionary, 8th edition. © 2009, Elsevier.

From: http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/cellulose

Fruits and veggies have it too,
  • kgraves2005
    Options
    Cellulose is found in all plant products. It's another term used to describe the "skin" of plants. You eat it everytime you eat a tomato or unpeeled celery. These products are not bad for you. In fact, the article clearly states that cellulose mimics fat within the body so it is a great tool to help you lose weight! Don't give up on foods you enjoy or work for your nutrition just because some quack at MSN wants to scare people in reading his articles.
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well it's cellulose....so it's not like they are throwing wood chips in the box :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Cellulose is found in all plant products. It's another term used to describe the "skin" of plants. You eat it everytime you eat a tomato or unpeeled celery. These products are not bad for you. In fact, the article clearly states that cellulose mimics fat within the body so it is a great tool to help you lose weight! Don't give up on foods you enjoy or work for your nutrition just because some quack at MSN wants to scare people in reading his articles.

Agreed. Can't believe everything you read, unless you search the information from multiple legit sources.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    McDonalds does not put sawdust in their milk shakes! According to Snopes.com the ingredients are : Whole milk, sucrose, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, imitation vanilla flavor, carrageenan, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate.
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    Not all cellulose comes from wood. Most plants (ie fruits and vegetables) have cellulose. If you are concerned about "cellulose" in your foods, you should be reading more labels. There are a lot worse things in many packaged and processed foods!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    I don't see the issue. So what if their is cellulose in your food. It is not like they are putting sawdust in your food. In fact calling cellulose gum, wood is like calling surcalose sugar. They have been so modified that wood is but the raw material that has went into it. Beyond the shock value, I would need actual evidence that it is harmful, and since it is not broken down by your body at all, but passes through your digestive system unchanged, I don't expect any except from people who don't actually do scientific studies, but just react to the fact that it is "wood"
  • ErinJ1981
    ErinJ1981 Posts: 72
    Options
    Not all cellulose comes from wood. Most plants (ie fruits and vegetables) have cellulose. If you are concerned about "cellulose" in your foods, you should be reading more labels. There are a lot worse things in many packaged and processed foods!

Absolutely agree!!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I hate articles like this. Like the book on food additives that tries to gross you out by telling you that they add calcium silicate to concrete or something. They add water to concrete too, does that mean we shouldn't drink it?
  • 40notFatty
    Options
    Look up L-Cysteine - it's a 'flour enhancer' that is derived from HUMAN HAIR!!! it's used in some pizza bases, white bread, pastry etc.

Check this out: http://www.albalagh.net/halal/col2.shtml
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, cellulose is found in all plants. That said, are you really surprised at the things that are found in conventional processed foods? You shouldn't be eating anything on that list, none of it is healthy. If you absolutely must eat processed foods make sure it's organic.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I'm getting to the point where I only want to eat what I cook myself. No boxed foods, fast foods, etc. Bleh...