Bless His Pa-Sketty Heart.. But HELP!

Options
szieres
szieres Posts: 97 Member
My husband made pa-sketty (hehe), and he combined all the stupid ingredients into one bowl.. and I've told him a million times that I need to measure each ingredient... now what? I'm starving and really want to eat, but I am so afraid to eat it because I can't calculate it correctly.... What would you do?!!?!?

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Throw the mess in a measuring cup, and try to find a close option in the data bank. Once isn't gonna kill ya. It WAS so nice of him to try.

Also, if you've told him a million times, that means you've got a cook in the house. I would LOVE to have that problem with my hubby. He'll get it eventually, or you'll have to start cooking. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I would eat the lovely dinner he prepared for you, give him a kiss and a thank you.
    Then estimate what was in there - is it about a cup of pasketty or 2, about a cup of veges or 3, you get the idea.
    I promise that life as we know it will not come to an end because you didn't measure your dinner.
    This has to be a long term life change and estimating what you are eating is a skill that will be very handy for controlling your portions in the long run.
    Now, go and enjoy dinner!!
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Awwww hahah sorta cute actually. If it were me id just measure out 1 1/2 cups pa-sketty and if its meat and noodles and sauce id say 400-500 cals. Not exact but gives ya good idea of where to be. I could be totally off but id just add quick cals and call it a night. Good luck!
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    I guess for me it would depend on what he put in it - veggies? Or fatty meat/meatballs/whatever. If it's just veggies I'd measure out a cup of it, count it as a cup of pasta, then add 2 servings of whatever sauce he used, plus like 50 calories for veggies, and if he used oil I'd count like a tablespoon of that.

I tend to over-estimate when forced to, but it's better than being way under!
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My husbands been doing this lately and I'm not even sure what he's putting in it. I wouldn't care but he never used to cook before. If you know what your husband put in it then add it as one of your recipes and enter the amount of servings and it will give you an approx. calorie count per serving
  • lcastaneda
    lcastaneda Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    U can always try to build a recipe based on the ingredients he typically uses - at least to the best you can tell -- that's what I do when placed in that situation with friends who love to cook.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I mix it all together too. I use the total amount used for each ingredient and divide it by how many servings we get out of the whole dish. So, say it was a 16 ounce package of pasta, a 24 ounce can of sauce, and a pound (16 ounces) of ground beef and we get 8 servings out of it, then I count 2 ounces of pasta, 3 ounces of sauce, and 2 ounces of ground beef.
  • dadsgirl87
    Options
    This happens at my house all the time. I just do a guesstimate of how many servings of each ingredient I ate. However, I make sure that I'm liberally estimating how many calories I ate.

This hasn't failed me yet! You'll be fine!

Best wishes!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It takes longer, but you can always take the whole batch and separate it into equal portions--maybe 6 or 8 (most boxes of dry pasta have 6 servings, I think). Find out the total calories of everything he put in it (how much for a whole box of pasta, a whole jar of sauce, whatever else he put in it), add it all together and divide by however many portions! Its a lot of work, but its usually what I do when I make a recipe!
  • altavern
    altavern Posts: 8
    Options
    This might not be the most helpful response, but it is what I would do...estimate the best you can. you can see what you are eating so guess. While it is not the most accurate (by far) you will probably be close enough. You might be off by a cpl....lets say hundred calories...that won't be the end of the world. You still have the dedication, it is just one meal. And maybe take it for the special meal that it is as he was being nice.

Like I said, not the most helpful, but I wouldn't stress so much about it (especially to the point where it ruins your night!!!).

You could always pretend it is practice for when you don't count/measure everything and are just trying to eat healthy. You know what a good portion size is...and it is pasta, some kinda sauce, etc...

Good luck and I hope you feel satisfied soon!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I always use the recipe option to add up the calories for all the the food you used. I then put in the number of portions I turned the meal into. This will give you a rough idea of how many calories you consumed per serving.