Sodium.....O.M.G....

Options
2»

Replies

• ashleighk2010
    Options
    This week I've been over my sodium goal by 500 every day, and I'm only eating around 1200 calories. I've never had a sodium problem before and so I looked over my foods... a bunch is coming from the type of lunch meats I bought! So I'm eating them up this week and just trying to stay on top of my water. Won't be buying that again though!
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Until I started counting calories, I never knew how much sodium I actually consumed. Even in things that seem innocent like bread and cereal. I started counting calories on another website before here (this one is much better!) and since then I try to keep my sodium level below 1500 each day. Of course, some days I don't, but most of the time I do. I don't add salt to anything and try to stick with whole foods. I get most of my sodium from meat and bread
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am always over on sodium, it annoys me because I know how my body reacts to it. It is damn near unavoidable though in the foods I eat. Most I can make myself and reduce the sodium dramatically if not eliminate it. I love soup, beef jerky and a few other high sodium things though :sad: I am trying to drink a ton of water and increase my potassium intake as well to offset the sodium. It is hard to take in enough potassium though. I might be looking for a supplement for that soon.

Try coconut water. Loads of potassium.

Tried it, I did not care for the taste.
  • williamwallacebennagw
    Options
    there is a lot of sodium in different food you never realize how much sodium is in something until you check it out. I started to eat stuff that was labeled lower sodium and if I make it myself I use sea salt because you end up using less of it. Just a quick tip if you want some salt but a healthier one.

thanks william
  • MKStrausser
    Options
    One sure way to control the sodium without much effort is to eat more natural foods such as fresh fruit, fresh vegies and meats. Anything that comes in a box, can, jar, or pre cooked & froze is packed full of preservatives which are high in sodium. My doctor told me when my blood pressure was too high that I should shop just around the perimeter of the store because it is healthier and less sodium. Also, if you must go with pre-packaged foods, try to find the packaging that specifies "lower sodium". It helps a lot. I hope you and many others found some help in this post.
  • MKStrausser
    Options
    Instead of regular salt, I use Salt Sense. It has 33% less sodium but has 100% of the flavor! :)
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I just checked my sodium for the day and about passed out! I'm over 700 plus. Sooooooo not happy right now...:(

700....lol rookie try 5-6 grand!!!! O..o
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    if sodium is really that bad I must be some freak of nature. I generally consume 4-5g a day, drink 4-6 quarts of water and still cant seem to stay hydrated, put on weight, or raise my blood pressure. all of which happen to be goals.