Drink half body weight in ounces?????

Options
I just read on another post that people should drink half their body weight in ounces?? There is NO way I can drink that much water in a day! That's 145 ounces - 18+ cups - I would have to fill my 24 ounce water bottle 6 times. I might as well just sit in the bathroom if I do that.

I would love to hear from others with thoughts on this...

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I found this written by a registered dietitian.

Hope it helps!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/wonders-of-water
  • ashbridge
    ashbridge Posts: 67
    Options
    I am a nurse, and that is what we were always taught. When I first heard that I had the same reaction as you. Then I realized that my waterbottle is 32 oz so I only had to drink 5 of those a day. It made me feel A LOT better then thinking of it in 8 oz cups! Besides most cups you have in the kitchen is bigger then 8 oz.
  • mwhartley
    mwhartley Posts: 35
    Options
    whoa, that is a crazy. I was told to drink 8 - 8oz glasses of water last Friday. You can drink more but don't shoot for some crazy amount. This is just my two cents.
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's just a general rule of thumb that will be a bit more lenient as you get more towards either end of the spectrum. Personally though, I've been trying to drink a lot of water the past week and I've gotten 18+ a few times without really forcing myself. I found I drank more if I kept some water nearby, makes you mindful to drink. I keep a nalgene bottle right in front of me at my computer (I actually rest my chin on it sometimes, can't forget about something you're head is resting on!).
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    On the days I drink half my body weight, I feel ok. On the days I drink MORE than that, I feel spectacular. I weigh 152, so 76 oz is not as much as you would be suggested to drink, but it is still more than the recommended 64 oz (8, 8oz cups). I have a 20oz cup that I try to drink at LEAST 4 of, that gets me over my half body weight suggestion. On my very best days, I can manage 110, or 120 oz. This does send me to the bathroom quite a bit, but I feel really energetic, much happier, and it is much easier to get up and move around. It is annoying at work to have to use the bathroom every 35 minutes, but I really think it is worth it.
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    Thats what they say.I do drink half my body weight some times a lil more in ounces but im only 109 pounds so.If i were you id stick to the 8 glasses a day a lil more if your working out hard or the weather is very hot and you should be fine..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I drink 96 oz most days. I refill a 32 oz bottle three times. Plus one diet soda in the morning for my morning caffeine buzz. :drinker:
  • cerferchick
    Options
    i heard that too. i'm a teacher so it's totally impractical for me.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Ok, so water from foods has to count towards this too - but how can you estimate water in foods?
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I weigh 120 and drank 160 ounces yesterday. (Note that I live in the desert, exercise outside, and had toooo much salt yesterday)

I usually drink 12-14 cups a day though.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I need to add that on days where I am not getting enough water, I will try to force myself to drink the last bits. That gives me terrible heartburn! So if you have to FORCE the water down, don't do it. But keep water with you all day long and remind yourself to drink it. Hopefully you will get at least 64oz in.

Also where you live goes into account. Is it dry? Is it hot? Is it high elevation? Yes to any of those = increase the water intake. Yes to all 3, you really need more water.

I first moved to Arizona (hot, dry, and really high up!) and fainted almost every day. I was used to this as my low blood pressure made this happen often. I did ask my doctor about it, and while agreeing the low blood pressure was likely a cause, he said I was also dehydrated. Dehydrated? I drank 3 bottles of water a day! That is only about 50oz, and definitely not enough according to my doctor. A month after trying to drink more water, I did notice less dizzy spells. Since I started tracking my food and water here, I have only had dizzy spells, none bad enough to actually make me faint. So that is a great help!
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    I drink at least 72 oz of water a day from my 24 oz straw cup. That's half my body weight, but I try to aim for at least 80-90 oz a day. It's amazing how much better you feel the next day after drinking that much water. I am a lot less bloated!
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I try to do this on a daily basis. It keeps me flushed and since I'm terrible with watching my sodium content, i know it helps with that also. Yeah, I have to run to the bathroom a few times a day but it's fine with me.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i drink 140-200oz of water a day. its more than I need to but it helps me .
    I refill my 16 oz bottle all thru the day .
    its not hard once you get use to it
  • iDreamNEON
    iDreamNEON Posts: 112
    Options
    I first got this info from a personal trainer and I thought the lady was nuts. I built up to drinking half my weight [Approx 128 oz] by drinking a 20 oz water with every meal. since at the time i was eating 5 small meals a day it got me up to 100 oz. Then I invested in a big water bottle [32 oz] and i drink at least 4 of those every day. I find it helps with keeping my body from retaining excess water. Especially when I go overboard on sodium. This method even help me shed 10 pounds of water weight WELL into my healthy living regimen.

I don't count my food or other beverages into my water intake
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 oz water bottle that I fill up about 5 or sometimes 6 times per day but this is because I only drink coffee & water. I generally try to get 20 oz in ever 2 hours. You are in the bathroom a lot, but the end result is worth it.
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Drinking it isn't the hard part - it's getting rid of it! I can decide when to go fill my water bottle, but I can't schedule a trip to the bathroom. I would be in the bathroom every thirty minutes! Forget two hour meetings - or even one hour meetings.
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't drink juices or soda at all so I have 2 cups of water with each meal so that's 6 cups right there. Then I usually drink another 2 - 4 cups after a good workout. If I don't workout then I just keep my bottle filled and sip throughout the day.

I think the more you weigh then the more challenging it feels to drink half your body weight in ounces. I wouldn't focus on that and bum myself out. If you were managing to drink the 8 glasses already then just stick to that.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My problem is I do most of my drinking in the evening. :drinker: You know what that means! :embarassed: lol
  • dengarrett
    Options
    My problem is I do most of my drinking in the evening. :drinker: You know what that means! :embarassed: lol
    It means I know where you spend your early morning hours :smile: