Needing help with another issue - smoking

Options

Replies

• chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of quitting. For me, cold turkey just doesn't work and my ob/gyn won't let me take any of the drugs. So, I'm portioning out my cigarettes. I used to be a pack a day girl, so the first thing I did was start removing 5 cigarettes from my pack in the morning and forcing myself to wait at least 1 hour inbetween lighting up. Once I was comfortable with that, I increased my time-off to 1-1/2 hours, which got me down to half a pack a day. Now, every Sunday I remove one more cigarette from my allotment and give myself a week to adjust. I'm currently at 8 cigarettes a day and 2-1/2 hours between. And I'm using the notes section of my food diary to keep track of how many I actually smoke. I'm finding that although I look forward to them, they're starting to taste bad and give me that brand-new smoker's light head. If you've tried everything else, maybe this would be something you can try. FYI... to not waste the money, I keep empty packs for portioning out the cigarettes or I put extras into hubby's pack. He's waiting for me to be done and then he'll quit cold.
  • poolcue
    poolcue Posts: 35
    Options
    Awesome job everybody. In two hours I will be smoke free for 72 hours, the toughest hours of quiting smoking. Wouldn't it be amazing from a pack and a half a day to nothing. Can't wait to use them money I save on better hobbies.

Teri, how are you doing, we are going to fight through this.

Jenyfur, congrat on quiting smoking, let's kick some devil stick's butt.

PC
  • poolcue
    Options
    Awesome job to Chris as well. Sounds like you are doing great.
  • iaho1976
    iaho1976 Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm about to join you guys, I've decided that Sunday is the day for me. I've quit before and after five years I went back to them. I've done it before so I know I can do it again, now all I need to do is prove it....

Good luck everyone

Ian
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Good for all of you quitting!!! I myself quit January 31, 2011. Just take it one day at a time, I find that not thinking about it helps me and I say to myself numerous times a day...."I'm a non smoker" and it feels so good. It takes 21 days to build a habit or break a habit...so keep working towards that number...I did it and you can too. Feel free to friend me if you need support or just a cheerleader! :happy:
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    How are all you non smokers doing today?
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    How are all you non smokers doing today?
  • poolcue
    Options
    Smoke free for over 72 hours. Only had one piece of hard candy so far. Just got back from lunch wanted a smoke but came on here instead.

Great news today. My freind for 20 plus years which was my smoking buddies till he moved away 4 years ago is coming to visit laster today. He was one of my original inspiration on quiting smoking, as he quit after we last saw each other at homecoming last year. When he gets here I am going to introduce him to this site as he wants to start working out.

PC
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    Yay! All of us new NON Smokers!!!
    I am smoke free for more than 24 hours!! I will be a day and a half at the end of today! I picked up a Chantix booklet from my PCP and if there is anything in there really cool, I will share... Later folks!
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    GREAT JOB PC AND JENY
    YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP UP THE BATTLE!! YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY YOU MADE THIS CHOICE!!
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm trying the Allen Car book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking". Taking me a while to get through it (b/c you don't quit until the END) but I'll let you know what happens.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ok, time for an update. I've had a few setbacks, but I'm moving forward as a non-smoker. I did give in and buy the patch and some nicotine lozenges. My body has a 30+ year addiction to nicotine. I would love to be able to do it cold turkey, but that just isn't happening. I'm listening to my hypnosis recording, taking my replacements and working through the moments that trigger my cravings. i am a new non-smoker. That's sort of like a baby taking their first steps. They can't go fast, they fall down a lot, but they keep going and get better every day. Pretty soon, it's hard to remember when they didn't know how to walk.
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    Good Morning! I am officially more than 48 hours with out. I have a relaxing day planned, so hopefully, no triggers except for after meals and with my coffee. I am going to start reading after eat, and that may help.

Thanks for all of the support. Terri, any day you are not picking up a stick and lighting it, is an accomplishment. In a few days or weeks, you won't need the patch. Be proud of yourself and enjoy the easier exercise!

Good luck with your day! Everything is going to be fine and remember to breath!!! LOL!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Guys, I laid down the cigarettes 2 years ago this month after smoking for about 40 years. (I don't even feel 40 years old, how did I smoke that long?) It's all mental, if you think you can you will. If you think you can't, you're right. I've used the patch before and it isn't the magic bullet. There is no magic bullet. My coworker is on her 2nd or 3rd go around with Chantix.

You are going to have withdrawal that is not pleasant. You are going to want a cigarette many times- I still do from time to time. Here's the best lesson I have learned: WANTING A CIGARETTE AND NOT HAVING ONE WILL NOT KILL YOU!

I went to a website called whyquit.com. Sometimes I found it kinda corny and over the top, but the man who runs it is very sincere and there are videos and readings for the first several days of your quit. His mantra is "Keep your resolve to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF" I repeated "never take another puff" to myself many, many times over the first few weeks.

Quitting smoking is not like losing weight. When on a weight loss plan you can have a cheat day and still lose. When quitting smoking if you cheat you are starting over from square one. For me, a drag on a cigarette today would mean back to a pack a day tomorrow.

You can do it if you want to!
  • poolcue
    Options
    It was a tough day today. Got done with lunch and sitting in front of the TV, all I thought was cigarette, luckily my kids kept me occupied and the urge had passed on. Has quite a few pieces of hard candy today as well. But all is worth it, body feeling great.

4 days smoke free.

PC
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm another who has quit. After 27 years a pack a day I gave up cold turkey. That was 13 months ago, I put on a heap of weight which then led me to this journey.

Giving up is hard and you really have to want it. I know I made a few feeble attempts at it previously and failed.

Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    4 days smoke free

Congrats, Poolcue! You're doing it. Keep it up.
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Guys im bumping this ..I 2 am a smoker and i want to give them up for many many reasons i have done it before for all babies but went back to them after.... I hate hate of what is ahead of me and im scared ill put on weigh..When i was pregnant i had 2 and i was kinda allowed eat Haha .. But doing it now it is going to be habit more for me i think .. So im following this now for some help bee great so far....:smokin: :sad:
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    Dont eat as a sub for the smoke. Chew Gum, Drink cold water, BREATHE Deeply.
    GOOD JOB EVERYONE Every day gets easier. YOU CAN GIVE UP THE EVIL STICK YOU are stronger keep in mind why go back cause then you have to go through all you just have again
    CONGRADS
  • qtpiesmom
    Options
    Glad your joining the crew Chaz. IF you need Support we are here