Replies

• ActiveTami
    ActiveTami Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    only just started reading but i LOVED this bit....

Diet Summary

If you consistently eat like crap you will consistently look like crap.
    If you make a so-so effort you will get so-so results.
    If you crash diet half the time and overeat the other half of the time you will look be miserable ALL of the time.
    If you want to look exceptional you will need to do what most others are not willing to do
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I just posted a post asking about where is best to start with weights training as I want to bring it in to my regiem. I have sent it to my work email so I can have a read later :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I actually love weight training, but every time I have done it I HAVE either stopped losing weight or gained weight. For example, six years ago, I lost 20 lbs in two months, on my own, just by watching what I was eating and doing moderate exercise (cardio). Then I got a personal trainer, and while I did get some pretty sexy abs, it took me another six months just to lose the next 10 lbs. I just started weight lifting again about a week ago, and immediately (within 2 days) gained back 2 of the 3 lbs I'd lost the previous two weeks.

However....

I know it's not directly because of the weight lifting- this woman knows what she's talking about. But my appetite gets out of control when I lift. I also think I get some water retention when I first start lifting which really discourages me from continuing. I'm not going to stop with the strength training, but I know that I am going to have to lock up my fridge, or do an extra 45 minutes of cardio to make up the extra calories I eat. It's easier for me to lose weight when I'm not lifting because I don't get ravenous just be doing 30-60 minutes of cardio, but for some reason when I do weights, I want to eat 2000+ calories a day (I only get 1200+ exercise), and I crave heavy food like red meat and pork (which I otherwise don't really want).

Luckily, my emerging biceps are giving me enough encouragement to keep up with the weight training even though my weight loss has had a minor (and hopefully temporary) setback. I know my weakness- I have to be extra vigilant about my nutrition.

This sounds exactly like what I experience.... good to know I'm in good company.
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Why don't women want to get (muscle) bulky? I want to bulk up on my muscles so I can take on anyone who has lame y chromosomes Scott Pilgrim style XD
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    IMO increased appetitie from strength training is a good thing. Feed the muscles, burn the fat as Tom Venuto would say :tongue:

I don't get mega hungry the next day but I make sure I consume the majority of calories on strength training days where I know my body can utilise the additional energy and nutrients.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Good article! I wish more women would lift weights! They just don't "get it".
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Thnx for sharing the great article!!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Thanks.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It makes sense! I'm in the 10% that postponed strength training because it was out of my comfort zone! :ohwell:

Unfortunately I still have issues with that. I'm a cardio-holic when it comes to exercise!

I have found that combining the two (cardio and strength) works well for me, like biking but doing dumbbells with my arms or doing a DVD by The Firm that mixes it all up.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

I have found that combining the two (cardio and strength) works well for me, like biking but doing dumbbells with my arms or doing a DVD by The Firm that mixes it all up.

And that's how it should be IMO. No point being able to deadlift 500lbs if you get puffed walking up a set of stairs and no point being able to run for 4 hours if you can't pick up some furniture for example.

Mix of both is what works best. Find what you love doing and do that :smile:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I actually love weight training, but every time I have done it I HAVE either stopped losing weight or gained weight. For example, six years ago, I lost 20 lbs in two months, on my own, just by watching what I was eating and doing moderate exercise (cardio). Then I got a personal trainer, and while I did get some pretty sexy abs, it took me another six months just to lose the next 10 lbs. I just started weight lifting again about a week ago, and immediately (within 2 days) gained back 2 of the 3 lbs I'd lost the previous two weeks.

However....

I know it's not directly because of the weight lifting- this woman knows what she's talking about. But my appetite gets out of control when I lift. I also think I get some water retention when I first start lifting which really discourages me from continuing. I'm not going to stop with the strength training, but I know that I am going to have to lock up my fridge, or do an extra 45 minutes of cardio to make up the extra calories I eat. It's easier for me to lose weight when I'm not lifting because I don't get ravenous just be doing 30-60 minutes of cardio, but for some reason when I do weights, I want to eat 2000+ calories a day (I only get 1200+ exercise), and I crave heavy food like red meat and pork (which I otherwise don't really want).

Luckily, my emerging biceps are giving me enough encouragement to keep up with the weight training even though my weight loss has had a minor (and hopefully temporary) setback. I know my weakness- I have to be extra vigilant about my nutrition.

Interesting you say that. I seem to get extra hungry after mega cardio sessions, not immediately though.

I figure on weights day, extra food is good anyway. Get those muscles growing :P I guess that is one of the principles of carb/calorie cycling.

my appetite gets out of control when I weight train too - I mean I have kept it under control for the most part but I am incredibly HUNGRY about 1-2 days following a good session or two and I HAVE to keep my protein over a certain amount (although I seem to be doing just fine on a bit less than most weight lifters recommend - about 100-115 grams and I weigh 180 atm). I usually go ahead and have another hundred or two calories on those days (whatever I feel like I need) - - I figure its still a deficit and being so hungry probably means my base calorie burn is revved really high that day.

Cardio on the other hand and I really don't feel that hungry - I still need to keep up my protein every day regardless, but I eat a little lighter if I feel like it on a cardio day and its not a problem.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    ^^^ I don't know your BF% but some people recommend the 1g/lb LBM not total weight as basically body fat doesn't require protein like muscle does. So that "could" figure into your calcs if you wanted to go that far :smile:
  • laureneva15
    Options
    bumping so i can read later
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Damn iPhone just cut my post!

Great article. Bookmarked and will do so at home too! Can't wait to read the rest.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Bump!