just say it

Options
I had a moment today. :happy:

When I went to the gym at lunchtime, I saw a lady who is also there most days. I've always been impressed by her - she's committed, works hard and the changes to her physique are becoming really noticeable. So feeling chatty, I decided to tell her that. And she started crying! Eek! I apologised profusely BUT.. turns out that in the 3 months she's been going there, I was the first person to say anything encouraging, and she got a bit emotional because it meant a lot to her. Can you imagine?? I don't think I could stay that motivated without having people to cheer me on!

So the lesson for today is - if you see someone who is going great guns, just tell them. You never know how much of a difference it might make. And you might make a new friend, like I did! Hooray!

Replies

• tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Great Job with the encouragement. I think we can forget how blessed we are with our virtual and real life support networks
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Awww this made me smile. I love the people on MFP. :flowerforyou:
    Hats off to you for being so nice!
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I Think that is so awesome that you gave her a compliment like that. I think everyone should do that more often.
  • Jacks6688
    Jacks6688 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love that. We should all try to do that more often, not only recognize others' successes with weight struggles but with life's other struggles as well.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    That was nice of you!

I've had random people come up to me a few times in my years in the gym and compliment me. It's such a great feeling and it means a lot! :flowerforyou:
  • phatdiva26
    Options
    thanks for sharing...well said!!!! I will definitely keep this in mind:happy: !!!
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    That's a sweet story! A little encouragement goes a long way.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I know I've been so blessed when girls at the gym have come up to me and told me they noticed I'm losing weight & keep up the good work, etc. Also hearing it from the gym workers means SO much to me because I know they're the "experts" so to speak! :happy:

I had a lady today ask me to hand her a paper towel while she was on the stair stepper as I walked by. She thanked me like 3 times from that moment and when she passed me on her way out. Sometimes we don't realize how little of a thing (to us) can be such a big thing to others. I could have been a ***** and said no and let her climb all the way down to get it, but I didn't... it was my natural inclination to just pick it up for her. But you never know. :bigsmile:
  • cingerl
    cingerl Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I'm a substitute teacher at a very large school district, therefore I'm at many different schools. Anyway during the past two weeks I've had a couple of the secretaries that I see periodically take notice of my weight loss and tell me how great and skinny I look. It always makes my day and keeps me motivated to keep going.
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What a sweetie you are (no wonder your my friend)!! A compliment from a complete stranger is often the most meaningful.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Beautiful :flowerforyou:
  • salbal70
    salbal70 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well that tells me more about how amazing you are! Well done you! You are certainly an inspiration!
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    Thats great I think everybody should be told, if you see it tell it. Once I told this lady who was always on the elliptical in front of me how small she was getting from behind that i could really see a difference, and she told me " thanks but i'm looking forward to my son coming home who has been over seas to see if he notices any difference in me he always tells the truth thats how I will know". OooooK, like I run around lying to people telling them how GREAT they look, evil me, but anywhoo it hasn't discouraged me one bit in letting people know that their hard work is paying off.
  • spoiledwifenikki
    Options
    :happy:
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That was so great that you did that! Moments like that can be so powerful for both the giver and receiver. How cool that you made a new friend - hooray is right! :)