zumba classes

Options
Hey all,
I'm semi new to MFP and am doing zumba now too. I love the workout and have been consistently going, my question is...has anyone lost a decent amount of weight with that as their fitness routine?

Replies

• kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • pinkchick2006
    pinkchick2006 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I love Zumba too and it is a great way to get your body moving!! The weight will come off faster if you add strength training along side of it but you definately burn calories and have a great time!!
  • Kea_Renea
    Options
    I think it would depend on how intense the class is and how energetic the routine is. I've been doing Zumba for 2 months. I go 3 x's per week and have lost 10 lbs - but that's inclusive of a good diet and exercise on the days that I dont have class. My instructor is AWESOME and full of energy!! But there has been 2 or 3 days that he was absent and there was another Zumba instructor that filled in and she absolutely had no energy!! So again, it depends on the instructor! But I love my classes! My cousin-in-law went down 6 dress sizes in 6 months - she is the one who motivated me!!
  • Kea_Renea
    Options
    I agree!! I come out of that class drenched in sweat!! And I'm not a heavy sweater!
  • lilbabybear
    Options
    Personally I thought Zumba was a lot of fun, but not much of a work out. I bounced around a few classes for some time before I found what worked for me. I had the most weight loss with cycling and fitness step. I wish I would have started using this site sooner; I'm almost at my goal weight. I would've lost more pounds quicker had I really kept better track of my calories
  • luvnikkibabe
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I definitely hear you on the instructor! I went last night to a different woman and it was not as fast at all!! I wore my heart rate monitor and only burned 400 calories. So we'll see what I burn when I go to the faster teacher.

So Kea you are doing other exercise too? Just weight training or more cardio? My goal is 20lbs by July (wedding) but more realistically I'd like to loose 10.
  • Kea_Renea
    Options
    I do the treadmill on a 3.5 or higher speed and/or the elliptical and/or the stationary bike. try to do at least 30 additional minutes of cardio either before or after the Zumba class. I dont do much weight training (should be), but I use a Gold Gym's braided resistance band alot - I bought it from Wal Mart and it comes with an instructional DVD that shows you toning exercies. I use my resistance band twice a day. Once in the morning when I first wake up and when I get home after working out. I think you can loose 20 by July or at least pretty close to it!! I've lost 3 lbs since I posted that comment.
  • luvnikkibabe
    Options
    Hey all, so I started doing zumba 2-3 days a week and in 1 month I lost 3 inches in my waist!! This really works! I am eating a lot better too so I've lost 5-7 lbs. but I think the inches are from zumba!
  • PreciousTreasure8117
    PreciousTreasure8117 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the Zumba DVD's and with it and eating right I have lost 30 pounds and also gaining some lean muscles. So far the workout is still working for me.