cycling and the gym???

Options
Ok cyclist...... Do any of you ride during the week and also lift weights too?

I've take 2 weeks off from lifting my legs and I fee like my legs felt better when I was lifting the weights.........My legs have felt tired the past two weeks, heavy... and I have been drinking my recovery drink after every ride.

Also, on the days you ride long days, like 40 miles... how do you eat so you don't "bonk" or have headaches the entire day?

Any suggestions on both would be great!?

Replies

• familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ok cyclist...... Do any of you ride during the week and also lift weights too?

I've take 2 weeks off from lifting my legs and I fee like my legs felt better when I was lifting the weights.........My legs have felt tired the past two weeks, heavy... and I have been drinking my recovery drink after every ride.

Also, on the days you ride long days, like 40 miles... how do you eat so you don't "bonk" or have headaches the entire day?

Any suggestions on both would be great!?
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes when I ride I still lift! Actually I ride better the day after lifting legs, even when they are soar as heck!
    I'm a wierdo :smile:
    Usually when I go for a long ride. I make sure I eat a combo of carbs, protiens and drink plenty of water! During my ride I make sure I stay hydrated and stop half way and have an energy bar.
    Once I get back I usually eat about an hour after the ride. Once again a balanced meal!
    The only time I feel crappy after ride is when the weather starts to get over 90 and I push it just a little too much. On those days I usually lay down for a few and it passes.
    Good luck and happy riding!
    Kelly
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I lift weights--light training--on alternate days, and I take a day or so off from riding every week. I'm taking a week off right now, as I was just wiped out totally but tomorrow I'm back on the pedals!

If you're having headaches, it sounds like you're maybe not drinking enough water. Make sure to drink enough before, during, and after a ride.

I usually eat a HUGE breakfast--500 calories or so--then have a fruit bar or apple during the ride--then have a big banana smoothie when I get back. And, on days I do the 40 miles or more, I have a big plate of pasta, too, loaded with cheese. I've never gotten headaches or feel hungry.
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls!