New, pregnant and a massive fatty!!!!

Options
Hello

I'm Lou I'm 31 and am 17 weeks pregnant. Don't panic I'm not trying to do some mad crash low fat diet but I thought this would be useful to help me maintain my current weight and eat a good healthy diet for my unborn baby.

My consultant said that my goal is to put on no more than a stone (which would be mostly baby) and that as babies are like parasites (her description not mine) lowering my calorie intake would be beneficial for the baby and for me as a new mom. So I thought I would give this a go and see if writing everything down would help me.

Fingers crossed.......

Anyway if anyone is in the same boat, has been, might be or just wants a chat come and say hi!.

Lou

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy clean foods while your pregnant. Feed you body and your baby good healthy clean foods. IF you do that and your cleared to exercise do so . It will make loosing it so much easier after the baby is born. TO many women go nuts when they a are prego and eat whatever. Not good for you or the baby. Plus it makes it that much harder to loose it after
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Best of luck to you and your new family!! Feel free to add me!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you on your pregnancy! :) I also give you thumbs up for taking this approach of managing your health while carrying your child :) Best of luck!
  • lougar79
    lougar79 Posts: 5
    Options
    Eat healthy clean foods while your pregnant. Feed you body and your baby good healthy clean foods. IF you do that and your cleared to exercise do so . It will make loosing it so much easier after the baby is born. TO many women go nuts when they a are prego and eat whatever. Not good for you or the baby. Plus it makes it that much harder to loose it after

Hello! What are clean foods (sorry to be a bit thick lol x) as for exercise i've been told 20 minutes a day of gentle exercise like swimming, walking etc so Im certainly gonna try xx
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    It's great your doing this for yourself and your baby. I walked when I was pregnant and it really helped me. Good luck on your journey.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Google Clean eating :-) Basicly nothing processed or man made. Fruits veggies whole grains lean meats low fat dairy and healthy fats like nuts seeds.
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    Hi there welcome and congratulations !
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on both your pregnancy and courage to change! A doctor once told me that the growing child will extract whatever he/she needs to build him/herself from wherever it is stored if it's not available through food intake (ex: calcium from your bones or muscle mass, etc.), leaving you less able to recover after the baby is born. I thought this made a lot of sense and have also taken supplements during my pregnancies (I have 5 children, all carefully planned) - everyone around has always been surprised to see how quickly I recovered :D

Hope that helps, and best of luck to you!
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hello, first CONGRATS! My wife is 20 1/2 weeks expecting our first child which we found out is going to be a son. She is clinically obese as well but the doctor has her on a diet because she basically is borderline with the gestational diabetes. They had her take the test early because of her family history. Make sure you are scheduled to take this test btw, most places do it around 28 weeks but not everyone does it! It is an important preventative measure and the test isn't bad at all according to my wife!

Anyways, we had to see a nutritionist and I would recommend seeing a nutritionist if you haven't already. They know what both you and your baby needs. The biggest and most important thing is that you get enough carbs. (My wife gets 16 carb choices a day, 2 breakfast, 2 midmorning snack, 4 lunch, 2 snack, 4 dinner, 2 night snack w/protein) Obviously lean meats, fruits, & veggies are recommended but I wouldn't try to eliminate all processed foods if that is what you are used to eating. A drastic diet change during pregnancy can be tough on you and the baby. My wife has actually healthfully lost a little bit of weight during pregnancy around 5lbs. However, she has regular appointments with her ob/gyn, dietitian, & endocrinologist. Plus, she checks her blood sugar 6x a day & checks for keytones every morning.

So you want to make sure you getting enough calories & carbs for the baby's development. This is a great site but if you do plan on making changes I would talk to a doctor. Congrats again and may you have a healthy, happy, pregnancy, & child !
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    congratulations - it sounds like you are off to a great start already! I am a big fan of oatmeal (porridge) and my pregnant colleague confirms that adter all of my preaching about it, once she gave in, it really helped her- firstly because it is bland (though it can be jazzed up with fruits, nuts whatever) but it's very blandness meant on those early days when she was queasy or now when her stomach is a bit acidy she can eat oatmeal without worrying about it's smell or will upset her stomach. On those days when she is doing well she incorporates fruits and nuts

secondly- when pregnant a lot of women have constipation- oatmeal helps with this two

finally - it fills you up so you won't overeat and it's healthy

regarding ecercise- walking is great- and swimming will be especially fabulous when it is warmer outside and you are larger and feel more awkward, also consider a beginner's water aerobics- easy on your joints, great exercise and fun- and be sure not to overlook the myriad of dvd's out their for expecting moms- some of which have post natal work outs too

good luck!
  • angeleyes192
    angeleyes192 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Really nice to see you are trying to stay in shape while prego you go girl.. I am rooting for you
  • lougar79
    lougar79 Posts: 5
    Options
    Aw thank you for all your supportive messages it means a lot.

Just to reply to a couple of questions posed, I am in regular contact with my doctor, midwife, and see a nutritionalist as well as my consultant. They all feel that I am able to regulate my own diet and (touchwood) am currently not high risk for diabetes (although I have a glucose test booked for 26 week - wow thats only 8 weeks away!!!)

Oatmeal - is that the same as porrigdge? Because I love porridge especially the blueberry and apple one in the little sachets yum yum.

So again thank you for all your words of encouragement, my mom and sister have just joined too so thats a bit of extra support.

Good luck with all your ventures into weight loss/maintenance and look forward to speaking to you all soon xx
  • JeninBelgium
    Options
    congratulations - it sounds like you are off to a great start already! I am a big fan of oatmeal (porridge) and my pregnant colleague confirms that adter all of my preaching about it, once she gave in, it really helped her- firstly because it is bland (though it can be jazzed up with fruits, nuts whatever) but it's very blandness meant on those early days when she was queasy or now when her stomach is a bit acidy she can eat oatmeal without worrying about it's smell or will upset her stomach. On those days when she is doing well she incorporates fruits and nuts

secondly- when pregnant a lot of women have constipation- oatmeal helps with this two

finally - it fills you up so you won't overeat and it's healthy

regarding ecercise- walking is great- and swimming will be especially fabulous when it is warmer outside and you are larger and feel more awkward, also consider a beginner's water aerobics- easy on your joints, great exercise and fun- and be sure not to overlook the myriad of dvd's out their for expecting moms- some of which have post natal work outs too

good luck!

seriously "its" not "it's" and "too" not "two" what was on on?!
  • JeninBelgium
    Options

Oatmeal - is that the same as porrigdge? Because I love porridge especially the blueberry and apple one in the little sachets yum yum.

yep oatmeal is the same as porridge - I shouldhave written that (silly me) as I realise that you are in the UK

I would recommend not buying the little package ones (they are not as yummy once you get used to laking your own)
    by the quick cooking (plain old porridge oats) cook 1 part oats with a bit under 2 parts milk or water- add some fruit and nuts and you have a really healthy, filling meal ( not too many nuts - they are really healthy for you but high in calories)

some of my favourite variations are oatmeal cooked with with cut up dried apples or apricots (and water or milk) I like to add a bit of cinnamon if using the dried (or even fresh) apple

if I use fresh or frozen fruit (blueberries!) I add a little less water

an easy way to cook is in the microwave- place all of your ingredients in a microwaveable bowl, zap for 1 minute, stir and then cook for another minute more - stirrig at each 20 second interval (otherwise it will boil over the bowl)- fast, easy, filling and yummy