What counts as water?

Options
Does diet drinks count as water? How about hot tea with splenda? Can someone let me know for sure. Thanks candlelady1.

Replies

• jesshall281
    jesshall281 Posts: 219
    Options
    I want to know this aswell, i drink loads of tea, surely that counts as part of my water intake!
  • staceywoo
    staceywoo Posts: 56
    Options
    I only count pure water, I don't ever count coffee, tea or other drinks etc. The more water you drink the easier it will be to drink your 2 litres/8 glasses per day.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Depends. I think any drink that doesn't have caffeine or alcohol counts
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I don't think caffeinated drinks count. Jillian Michaels says for every caffeinated beverage you drink, you should drink 2 glasses of water on top of your 8 a day.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    WATER
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    diet drinks DO NOT count. diet drinks eat away your insides....please please please stop drinking them...:(
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    WATER
    Helpful. :noway:

I usually just count my water but I've been unwell the past week so hot tea has helped my throat. It's unsweetened and decaf, so I add it in.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Depends. I think any drink that doesn't have caffeine or alcohol counts

awww crap! Alcohol doesnt count?! lol jk
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Options

:laugh:

*quickly deletes 2 cups from intake* :drinker:
  • allegedglobalconspiracy
    Options
    I hear this asked a lot. I'm not really sure why either. The only thing that you can reliably count as water is water. You may get hydration from other sources like sports drinks and all that, but remember that they could have diuretics like caffeine in them, which results in a net loss of water ultimately. Lots of people seem to not like drinking water, but I personally don't drink anything else for the most part. That's just my 2 cents though.
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    just did a little looking around about this yesterday. Coffee and tea count. They didnt used to but they do now. also, the 8 glasses a day is a minimum. IF you are trying to lose weight and are overweight you should be drinking more. take your body weight, divide it in half and thats approx how many ounces of water you should be drinking a day. Hope this helps. :) i started on my 12 cups of water yesterday.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options

:laugh:

*quickly deletes 2 cups from intake* :drinker:

*Like* lol
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    Tomorrow Im gonna be counting it as water..and I will be verrrrrry hydrated. Happy saint patricks day to mee! lol :drinker:
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Options
    Tomorrow Im gonna be counting it as water..and I will be verrrrrry hydrated. Happy saint patricks day to mee! lol :drinker:

Well...what if there's soda WATER in my alcoholic drink? :D It kind of counts...right? :devil:
  • mia66
    mia66 Posts: 425
    Options
    Just water counts. I make sure I get it in before drinking my green tea at the end of the day.
    I was not a big water drinker before so I challenged myself to drinking at least 5 cups a day. By the end of the week I was drinking 8 cups a day and within a month I was drinking 10 cups a day. I have been drinking my water faithfully for a good year now and I enjoy it.
    Mia.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I say only water, no tea or coffee since those have caffeine. I also count water if I've added drink mix like Crystal Lite to it but other than that only pure water!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options

Well...what if there's soda WATER in my alcoholic drink? :D It kind of counts...right? :devil:

oh my gosh yes it totally counts :) lol
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Does diet drinks count as water? How about hot tea with splenda? Can someone let me know for sure. Thanks candlelady1.
    Like everyone else has been saying only WATER counts as water. Plus a little FYI, coffee and tea dehydrate you so you have to drink even more water to make it up. It's about 2-3 more cups of water for every cup of coffee or tea you drink. Also, diet soda has sodium which will dehydrate you as well.
  • HeidiM78
    HeidiM78 Posts: 58
    Options
    I would say that Water counts as Water. Anything else is extra fluid but is not water.
    FYI drinking your 8 glasses of water (just doing that alone!) burns an extra 500 calories per week.
    The above info received from The Doctors
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    just did a little looking around about this yesterday. Coffee and tea count. They didnt used to but they do now. also, the 8 glasses a day is a minimum. IF you are trying to lose weight and are overweight you should be drinking more. take your body weight, divide it in half and thats approx how many ounces of water you should be drinking a day. Hope this helps. :) i started on my 12 cups of water yesterday.

Yes. This is absolutely correct. 8 classes a day is the MINIMUM! Coffee/Teas WITHOUT added calories should count.