sabotage

Options
Have you got any friends/family, who try to literaly force food down you, even though they know you are trying to be good? I was visiting my sister last night, and she was cooking mash potatoes for supper. I resisted to start with, but then she started saying that I'm "obsessing", getting silly and ridiculus when I refuse every food... Made me feel bad, so I had some mash (bit more than some), but now I feel bad. Do you have any friends like that? :frown:

Replies

• spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think we all have friends and family like that unfortunately.
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, my husband is like that. Takes a great deal of dedication when you have to live with it.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Just tell them your doing this for you and your health.. how can they knock you for that.. I would actually ask this question!! Good luck and dont let anyone stop you!!!
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I wonder how we are supposed to handle situations like these then? I work in an office and there is always cake or some kind of pot luck happening. I don't want to partake in any of it!
  • rach2893
    rach2893 Posts: 3
    Options
    yes! my friends are always like its just one chocolate or take away and i should just stop worrying! my grandad also tries to force me to eat fat laden food.
    of course there all skinny haha!

but next time she tries to feed you mash ask her to instead of using butter and milk use a bit of natural yoghurt, makes the mash creamy and light and all the lumps disappear!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone...I have friends and family like that as well...I'm not eating enough, I've lost too much weight, I'm obsessed with going to the gym...it gets old really fast. I think part of it is I've been overweight/obese my whole life and now that I'm a more normal weight I don't look the way I use to. Everyone is use to seeing a bloated overweight me.

I try to change the subject and not play into it with them anymore. I once had a friend who got ticked off at me when we went to Friendly's and I had a salad while she had a hot dog, fries, and a sundae! You have to do what's best for you...as long as you're eating enough and taking care of yourself don't worry about what others say. I do hope you have a group of people who support you and tell you how great you're doing as well!!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I wonder how we are supposed to handle situations like these then? I work in an office and there is always cake or some kind of pot luck happening. I don't want to partake in any of it!
    And there is always someones birthday in the office... :frown:
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Years ago I heard these folks referred to as "Food Pushers" and it stuck with me. My Mom and Dad do this all the time! Just stick to your guns and explain to them that you are eating healthy and trying to lose some weight. You may have to repeat this multiple times to them as some folks just seem to not understand. Assure them that you are sure their food is good but you have an eating plan and you are sticking with it. Be strong! Some feelings will get hurt.

Good luck.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my mum does this a whole lot.

However, I do think that she has been trying to make her foods healthier to entice me to eat. I always demolish the vegies at the table, and up until about a fortnight ago had to make them for myself. Now she makes a big bowl full and goes a bit easier on the butter and cream she usually uses.

Just be persistent. Show that you are not being unhealthy by refusing to eat - you are being healthy by eating the healthier option.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options
    yes! my friends are always like its just one chocolate or take away and i should just stop worrying! my grandad also tries to force me to eat fat laden food.
    of course there all skinny haha!

but next time she tries to feed you mash ask her to instead of using butter and milk use a bit of natural yoghurt, makes the mash creamy and light and all the lumps disappear!
    Didnt know you can use yoghurt... gonna try that soon, because I love love love mash potatoes :love:
  • lorijohnson1999
    Options
    Yes alot of us do. I you feel bad after things like that then you should just stick to what your gut is telling you. If you make them feel bad then just let them know your sorry but if " obsessing" is helping you feel better about your self then that is what you are going to keep doing. When I started I was doing great then a few weeks ago I stopped because I was feeling like I was obsessed with trying to lose. Then recently I just thought about it and I felt so much better when I knew what was going in my mouth. When I had good days where I was not over I felt great. You have to do what makes you happy. Good luck
  • rach2893
    rach2893 Posts: 3
    Options

my mum use to have a problem with this, she kept a fruit bowl on her desk and if you do want something sweet when there all eatting cakes, in the UK alpen light chocolate fudge bars are only 70 calories :)
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    That's life. So many people don't know another way to show their love other than feeding you. I tell them I'm loved enough
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Loads of people do this to me too and think I'm obsessed with my weight, and maybe I am?!?
    The point is I'm pretty happy in my skin and they usually are not so I think it's worth the restrictions.
    Personally know how miserable I am heavier so I have to do this, it's not a choice.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options

my mum use to have a problem with this, she kept a fruit bowl on her desk and if you do want something sweet when there all eatting cakes, in the UK alpen light chocolate fudge bars are only 70 calories :)
    Havent tried that one yet, but its a good idea. At least I wont feel totaly deprived :tongue:
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yes! We live in Ohio and have this amazing pizza place called Marions. They cut up the pizzas into these tiny bite size pizzas and before you know it you eat half a large by yourself! So my husband and I ate a protein bar before we went, ate a salad with light dressing and then split a small pizza with out 5 year old. Our family kept saying "come on, eat more, were at Marions, don't make us feel bad, BLAH BLAH BLAH!" People need to realize that we are changing our lives! Ugh!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Loads of people do it.
    I went out for breakfast with my mum the other day and i used to always order a cooked breakfast with toast and a latté (yum) but when i checked the calorie count online it was something stupid like 1500 calories, so i went for the porridge with strawberry and blueberry compote for 250 cals and a normal coffee.
    my mum was all "come on, why dont you treat yourself. I'll buy it, youre slim enough", which annoyed me, and i just told her "if i treated myself like that every time i felt like it, id be enormous"
  • tami05
    tami05 Posts: 7
    Options
    There seems to be weight issue running through my family, My Mum, uncle and two aunts are all over weight along with my siblings and cousins (except one) I have moved away from the area where we live and only visit twice a year, I have 5 children and a diabetic husband so we have made a huge effort to get healthy over the last year and a half. I have dropded from 218 to 159lb. When I recently went for a visit, I walked in and instead of the expected ' oh you look well' I was bombarded with rude insults telling me that I have lost to much weight to which point I burst in to tears and now now dreading going to see them in april!

not everyone are supportive about what you are trying to do, I try to pay no attention but when its my family its hard to take. My BMI is still 27 so clearly there is a way to go, but if I mention trying to lose any more they all start again.

I am a regular runner, but have had some knee problems so this is why I would like to get down a bit further, but with my family against me I am not sure this will happen!