Less Calories + More Exercise = putting on weight??

Options
I have been with MFP for a while now and have been relatively consistent in terms of weight.

Recently, I have really upped my exercise by jogging outside in the mornings, then resistance training at the gym in the evenings.

I have gone from a steady 8st 9lbs (121lbs) to 9st 1lb (127lbs) in the space of about 3 weeks.

Looking back over my tracked food I really can't see anywhere I am consistently going over my 1200 calories a day, apart from occasionally at the weekends.

Any ideas as to why this may be, and also - what I could do differently to help me get back to 121lbs?

Thanks, Sophie.

Replies

• KimKoz
    KimKoz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Building muscle, you may not see it but its probably forming in areas. Just keep it up and it will come off. I hit a 3 week no change period and after switching up my routine it changed again.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all your exercise calories? From my understanding this could be very important for you to lose the last bit of weight.
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    Looking back over my tracked food I really can't see anywhere I am consistently going over my 1200 calories a day, apart from occasionally at the weekends.

Eat more. Your body is interpreting the small amount of food as a shortage of food, and thus is holding on to every calorie it can. Eating all 1200 calories *and* most of your exercise calories will let your body know food is plentiful and it doesn't need to hang on to everything you put in it.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I had trouble like this and when I asked evryone said the same thing..you have to eat a bit more. I went 2 weeks without losing anything then I started to eat more and I have lost 3 pounds in 3 days! I also adjusted my activity level up a notch for my numbers. That could help...worth a try : ) Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    make sure to eat back the calories you burned during exercise. Going too low in calories can cause the metabolism to slow rather than your make your body burn more fat. It can stall your weight loss and you can even gain weight as your body holds onto what you put in it.

This is especially important when strength training. You need the fuel.
  • kanga1980
    kanga1980 Posts: 22
    Options
    happening to me too! My friends keep updating with how much weight they lost... I either stay consistent or gain. I am eating enough calories... but sometimes I wonder how accurate the exercise estimates.
  • jensdaily
    jensdaily Posts: 16
    Options
    I lose when I eat 1200 + whatever I burned during exercise.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yup, their words are wise. You increased your exercise but not your calorie intake. Watch your net calories as opposed to just food calories. If you eat 1200 kcal in course of day but burn off 500 via exercise that leaves your body with only 700 for daily operations and repairs. Your body will see this as a famine time and take steps to keep from starving by storing rather then burning foods.
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    I agree with what many others have said - you need to eat back what you burn during exercise. You NET calories should be 1200.

Have a look at this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/193753-don-t-believe-in-starvation-mode

Lisa
  • sophs87
    sophs87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. To be honest I have been eating less recently because I wasn't seeing any changes so it seems to make sense. I ate my full amount of calories yesterday and will do over the next couple of weeks and report back - it's so frustrating to not only not lose but to put a bit on!

Much appreciated.