What do you think about Almond Butter?

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
So I have been hearing about almond butter and was wondering if its a good choice? What do you use it on or in? Also what is your favorite brand.?

Replies

• blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    love love love it. I get the smooth kind and I've had a couple different brands and liked all of them. I put it on toast, waffles, where ever you might use peanut butter. I don't like penuts, but love almonds
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    okay, I have been hearing about it as well, but could not find it at the grocery store. where is it at?? is it not with the regular butter??
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    Really like it - bought some for first time 2 weeks ago. I like to switch around that and peanut butter. Has a few less cals. I get organic/crunchy.
    Just wish it was as 'stiff' as peanut butter. Tasty but doesnt fill me up AS long as PB.
    Recommend trying it though :)
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    is it a sweet tasting butter? I bought the nature valley sweet and salty bar dipped in almond butter and it was amazing.
  • 6Pk2Go
    6Pk2Go Posts: 105
    Options
    Love it. Be sure to get natural (no added sugar). I like MaraNatha natural no salt added (can get at Costco). I use 1 tbsp as dip with baby carrots and it's a very filling tastey snack.
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    I use the 365 brand smooth almond butter-I find that I have to add a touch of honey with it to make it to my liking otherwise I miss the sweetness. I typically only use it on waffles or toast with jelly and almond butter.
    I have to use it paired with something sweet because it does NOT taste sweet at all alone just nutty!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I love it, have to be careful with portion control, but full of protein and good fats! I'be bought a couple brands, I just make sure its all natural. Use it like peanut butter, on toast if you are eating bread, I love it with an apple!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's fantastic-- a nutritional powerhouse, even more so than peanut butter. Trader Joe's has the best IMO-- lots of grocery stores sell it for 9-15 bucks a jar, which is totally insane. They have raw, raw unsalted, as well as roasted, and roasted unsalted (crunchy/non in both varieties as well) for $5-6.

I usually find a jar that has all the oil concentrated on top and dump that out; which eliminates a lot of the fat content and makes the consistency less "loose" and more like PB
  • luebkme
    luebkme Posts: 5
    Options
    I've always wanted to try it, but the pool of oil on the top reminds me too much of organic peanut butter, which I thought was gross. Has anyone found a brand that doesn't settle like that?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    okay, I have been hearing about it as well, but could not find it at the grocery store. where is it at?? is it not with the regular butter??

It should be with the peanut butter as it is a nut butter. Many are organic so you may have to go into the organic section of you grocery store. The one I shop at has, pumpkin seed butter, macadamia nut butter, almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter and I beleive a couple more types.

I use it in place of peanut butter.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    is it a sweet tasting butter? I bought the nature valley sweet and salty bar dipped in almond butter and it was amazing.

I find it less sweet than peanut butter. But I buy the natural kind where the only ingredient is almonds, you may be able to find some with added sugar.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

It's with the peanut butter :bigsmile:
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    I love it! It took some getting use to because it doesn't have the sweetness that peanut butter has. I use it just like I would regular peanut butter.
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love it on everything. In smoothies, in oat bran, oatmeal, grits, on english muffins, fruit, ice cream....etc. the list could really go on and on. I love all the variety, raw, unsalted, crunchy, with sea salt, with honey....my favorite is probably the regular creamy and the dark chocolate almond....yum.

you can also make your own.......process come ROASTED almonds in your processer, scraping down the sides until it is as smooth as you like it.... you can add different add ins for different flavors..

if you don't use ROASTED almonds you will have to add some type of oil to it. I like to use coconut oil.

you can use this process with any type of nut you like..... the possibilities are endless.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have never been a big peanut or peanut butter fan but almond butter has a much milder taste. I could not live without it and find a way to incorporate it in to my diet on most days. I had my first taste years ago at Whole Foods. They have the big machines that grind it right in front of you in the raw. It is not processed and does not have all the sugars and added oils and preservatives like store brand peanut butter.

My favorite brands are from Trader Joe's. They have it raw, creamy, or crunchy - salted or no salt. My all time favorite is Justin's which I have found at Target but it is expensive...like $10 a jar. I spread it on english muffins and top with bananna slices or jam. I love a little scoop on top of my oatmeal. It's great on apples, in a sandwich or my all time favorite...spread on a chocolate chip cookie! I also eat it if I am low on calories/fat for the day. It is very calorie dense and you have to use it in moderation. Try it - I'm sure you will love it. I also like cashew butter which you can get ground fresh at Whole Foods as well.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like it - I put it on my toast. I looooooove peanut butter but almond butter is ok.
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am not the biggest PB fan but almond butter is heaven!

I buy Justin's Maple Almond Butter. I eat it every morning on an english muffin.

I have also tried Justin's Honey Almond Butter...also amazing!
  • Allisonsmith99
    Options
    Almond butter is very tasty, so too is hazelnut butter.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    thank you!!! and in my little town, we don't have an organic section, lol!! but, thanks for the info!!!