Carbs from fruit

Options
I go over on my carbs every day because of fruit... mostly apples... but bananas, celmentines, unsweetened applesauce...
Is it okay to go over on carbs and sugar because of fruit?

Replies

• wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes it is so long as you are still in a calorie deficit at the end of it. Basically its the refined sugars and stuff like glucose, fructose, corn syrup that you should stay away from. Mix your fruit with protein powder for a tasty snack... Hope this helps....
  • sasstacular
    Options
    If you find yourself struggling with weight loss eat less fruit so you consume less sugar. If you really want the fruit you can always eat 1/2 an apple or 1/2 banana as opposed to a whole one. That way you still get the fruit you want without having all the sugar.
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    I am over my calorie mark everyday before I add exercise. then I am usually within if I add it.
    Since I have started tracking sugar - i am very aware of it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ahh, I mean, there's wiggle room in a nutrition plan within reason, but I mean, the goal is to make every attempt to do it right. I wouldn't say going over by 10 or 15 grams of carbs will be an issue, assuming you keep calories in check, and if you're gonna do that, doing it with fruit or veggies is the way I'd recommend. But be aware, even fruit sugar can be detrimental if you take it to far. Fructose is better than table sugar, but it's still sugar, it's still processed quickly by the body, and while it won't spike the blood sugar like a twinkie will, it'll still raise your energy levels quickly, which can lead to fat storage if it's excessive.

So essentially I'm saying, going over a little shouldn't be an issue if you spread out the fruit and don't go overboard, but be aware of it, monitor your progress, and if you start to lose momentum, might be a good idea to reduce that consumption and replace it with something else.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question, I've been wondering the same! I may have to cut down the size of my fruit smoothies in the mornings.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar, be it from fruit, honey, milk or the table. Your body treats them pretty much the same.

Fruit has health benifits that go along with the sugar so its better for you, but you have to eat fruit in moderation, 2 or 3 servings at most per day.

Check out this site comparing fruit portions to sugar cubes: http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm
  • kevbrinks
    kevbrinks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you are curious about this, look up "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on youtube! Fructose isn't very good for you, but the fiber in fruit helps negate it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,242 Member
    Options
    Blackberries, blueberries and raspberries are lower in sugar than bananas and apples. Pay attention to the serving sizes for berries, 1/4 to 1/2 cup depending on the fruit. Good for you and a better way to get your fruit in your diet.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI guys.

Sugar is not all created the same, Fructose follows a different metabolic pathway than sucrose. Sucrose (a di-saccharide combination of glucose and fructose usually) is broken down quickly in the body to glucose and fructose where as alone Fructose, which is already a mono-saccharide, needs to first be broken down and reformed as glucose.

While straight Fructose is still really not great for you (I.E. HFCS = bad), most fructose derived from fruit is locked up in the fibrous material of that fruit, which means slower digestion and a more controlled release of Fructose into the body. This is why whole fruits are better than fruit juice, remove the fibrous material, and you speed up the digestion process.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump,really interesting facts here. :)
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar, be it from fruit, honey, milk or the table. Your body treats them pretty much the same.

Fruit has health benifits that go along with the sugar so its better for you, but you have to eat fruit in moderation, 2 or 3 servings at most per day.

Check out this site comparing fruit portions to sugar cubes: http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm

You are wrong, all sugars are not created equal. The fiber in fruit makes the natural sugars in fruits not get absorbed by the body even close to as much as refined sugars.

"When the low-carb "revolution" hit in the early aughts, fruit was demonized for its sugar content. This is, in a word, ridiculous. Yes, fruit is loaded with sugar, but it's also usually loaded with fiber, which slows sugar absorption, making it an ideal way to get your simple carbs without straining your little insulin buddies. Fruit is also loaded with easy-to-absorb vitamins and minerals. Most fruit is also filled with water, yet another benefit.

Even relatively low-fiber fruits like bananas offer far too many benefits to be denied. Bananas, in particular, are rich in electrolytes, which are crucial to sports performance. As I always say, I defy you to introduce me to an overweight person whose biggest indulgence is fruit." - Beachbody.com
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Wow this post is really intereseting. I'm on WW right now and all fruit is 0 points so I know some people eat more than just 2-3 servings of it a day. I was wonderin how this would effect my diet because when I would put my food into my WW calc I was on goal, but when I calculated the calories here I would be over my daily allowance.

I try to limit my fruit intake to around 2-3 a day and I'm trying to get my veggies in my diet as well.

Just some very interesting facts. Thanks for posting the quesiton
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I hate how fruits are made to be villains. It is a fact that most fruits, aside from the melons, are very low on the gi scale. Which means they have little effect on blood sugar. In fact whole grains and oats will increase your blood sugar far more than fruits.

All that really matters is that you stay in your calorie range. Fruit is one of the good guys.
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Here, here Russell, same as potatoes. Anything in its natural state is good for you and its the food industry that made our diets so poor. Look at obeisity levels now compared with 100 years ago. Its all the salt, added sugars and preservatives added just to make it last longer...... At the end of the day its calories in V calories out and so long as you're in a deficit, its cool.
  • kevanos
    Options

You are wrong, all sugars are not created equal. The fiber in fruit makes the natural sugars in fruits not get absorbed by the body even close to as much as refined sugars.

"When the low-carb "revolution" hit in the early aughts, fruit was demonized for its sugar content. This is, in a word, ridiculous. Yes, fruit is loaded with sugar, but it's also usually loaded with fiber, which slows sugar absorption, making it an ideal way to get your simple carbs without straining your little insulin buddies. Fruit is also loaded with easy-to-absorb vitamins and minerals. Most fruit is also filled with water, yet another benefit.

Even relatively low-fiber fruits like bananas offer far too many benefits to be denied. Bananas, in particular, are rich in electrolytes, which are crucial to sports performance. As I always say, I defy you to introduce me to an overweight person whose biggest indulgence is fruit." - Beachbody.com

I agree that the way your body absorbs the sugar if different, but what it does with is essentially the same in terms of end product is what I was getting at; so ya your body doesn`t treat all sugar the same.

I`m not trying say fruit is bad, I know it's good, but I do believe that too much fruit can be bad for weight loss especially. Some people don`t count the calories or sugar from fruit which I think is kind of ridiculous.

I hate that quote by beachbody : "As I always say, I defy you to introduce me to an overweight person whose biggest indulgence is fruit". Overweight people get that way for overeating and not doing exercise. If you overeat on just fruit you will also gain weight. Do I really have to find a person on a fruit only 3500 calories diet to prove it? I think a little common sence can prevail instead.

As healthy as fruit are, and should stay part of a weight loss diet, complexe carbs should be prioritized over simple carbs.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,242 Member
    Options
    Nicely said Russel! All any one needs to remember is that fruit is good for you but mind your servings 2-3 per day. Be informed as to what a serving is (i.e., half of a banana is one serving, 1 small apple is one serving, 1/4 - 1/2 cup berries equals one serving depending on the fruit, etc.). Fruit is full of vitamins and is not a simple carb. The fiber in fruit slows the digestion of the sugars as said above. So eat fruit and count the calories into your daily intake. It's a healthy food and your body will reap the benefits.
  • kevanos
    Options
    fruits are simple carbs. Simple carbs are not always bad though, obviously.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    fruits are simple carbs. Simple carbs are not always bad though, obviously.

Wrongly labeled as such.
    Most fruits, aside from melons are a lower GI than whole grains which are labeled as complex carbs.

Simple carb is supposed to mean it's quickly digested and raises blood sugar.
  • kevanos
    Options
    [/quote]

Wrongly labeled as such.
    Most fruits, aside from melons are a lower GI than whole grains which are labeled as complex carbs.

Simple carb is supposed to mean it's quickly digested and raises blood sugar.
    [/quote]

Simple carb means it is composed of 1 or 2 sugar molecule. Complex carbs have 3 or more sugar molecules bonded together which makes them harder to break down. It is a chemical term.

To clear up the confusion and partial truths and faults in this thread, check out this article on carbs: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-full-story/index.html