Odd pain

Options
Recently I have had this odd pain in the back of my knee. If you put your finger right in the back where it bends and then go straight down about 4 inches...that's where it feels funny. :huh: I think it started after I did exercises at the gym for the backs of my legs. The ones where you pull your legs towards your behind....
I had the least amount of weight on and this sharp pain went through the back of my knee. Now I just have that odd pain like I explained above. It does not hinder my walking or running...just a constant feeling.
Has anyone ever had this before???
I wanted to get some opinions before I called my doctor. I'm laid off and don't have ins.
Thanks!!!:smile:

Replies

• nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    hmm could be a number of things, there are a lot of ligaments in your knee, I jumped off an aerobic step about a year ago and heard a loud popping side and had pain, I finished the circuit training class I was doing though. Turned out I had ripped my anterior cruciate ligament off my femur.
  • bethymay123
    Options
    I suggest you see your dr. I had a similar injury in basic training. I had torn by proximal lateral calf musle. I didn't get it checked out right away and now have problems when I run.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have pulled the popliteal muscle, which is the muscle behind the knee, or the calf muscles if it is lower. I'm betting it was a misalignment on the hamstring curl machine. RICE--Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Give it a few days off from exercise, ice or heat packs (depending on which you feel is working), wrap it with an ACE wrap, and prop it up as much as you can and see if that helps. While you are resting the leg, you can still do upper body workouts like weights or boxing drills so you don't have to miss workouts. If it doesn't ease off in about 3-4 days, see a doctor. Even without insurance, there are ways to get medical care. Call your local hospital and see if they have an indigent care program or other programs to assist people who are out of work with no insurance. Not all hospitals have them, but it might be worth looking into.

Once you are healed and go to do the hamstring curl again, make sure you line up your knee joint with the axis point of the machine. There is generally a spot on the machine where you can see the lever arm moves around. That's where the bend of the knee needs to be in order to protect the knees and work the correct muscles. If it isn't lined up correctly, then you risk working the smaller muscles more then the larger hamstring muscles and they can't handle the weight as easily so you risk these injuries.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    This is day 2 so if it's not cleared up after trying what you all have said, I'll be going to my dr.