Supersets and Combination Moves?

Options
I need clarification here. What is the difference between Supersets and Combination moves? Does anyone have any ideas of ones to incorporate into my routine? I like getting my weightlifting done as quickly as possible.:-)

Shannon

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I need clarification here. What is the difference between Supersets and Combination moves? Does anyone have any ideas of ones to incorporate into my routine? I like getting my weightlifting done as quickly as possible.:-)

Shannon

Typically a super set is doing one exercise on the same body part immediate after finishing a different one. Combination moves involve more than one muscle group at a time (clean and press is an example of one) Google them to get an idea of the different routines and exercises involved.

For quickness I do circuit training. If you are working more than one body part go right from doing one exercise right into another for a different body part without any or very little rest.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Supersets are when you take two lifts and do them alternately. It's a form of "active" rest. This is something I do in all my lifts. For example, I will do shoulder presses and lat pulldowns alternately until I'm done. Then I might move to squats and and hamstring curls.

Combination moves -- I think this refers to lifts that put together multiple lifts in one motion. For example, it would be like stepping on top of a box and then lifting dumbells over your head.

Another thing to think about when lifting weights and getting the maximum burn is to do "compound lifts", which use mutliple muscle groups at once. Instead of doing just bicep curls, do some "pull" exercise that works your biceps and back. Instead of just doing leg extensions, do squats or leg press.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Supersets are when you take two lifts and do them alternately. It's a form of "active" rest. This is something I do in all my lifts. For example, I will do shoulder presses and lat pulldowns alternately until I'm done. Then I might move to squats and and hamstring curls.

That is circuit training super set would be going from bicep curl to concentration curl (same body part as previous exercise) Thats what makes it "super" to work the same muscle from different angles, whereas circuit training you do different body parts one after the other.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Supersets is just a term for back-to-back sets of usually opposing muscle groups, or push-pull moves etc, so for instance sets of bench presses superset with sets of lat pull downs etc.

Combination moves? Do you mean Compound moves?? Compound moves are exercises which use a number of muscles for example squats (which use hamstrings, glutes, quads, core etc)... as opposed to for instance a bicep curl which is the opposite i.e. an "isolation" exercise... the opposite to compound.
  • erickirb
    Options
    "The Superset is a very simple concept...basically, you just do two exercises back-to-back, with no rest in between! A quick example of this is doing a barbell curl then going directly into a cable curl. " Usually done with same muscle group but can use opposite groups as well.
    http://www.leehayward.com/super_sets.htm
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. Any good website ideas of where to go to get one/both types of moves? I actually do both in my routine.

Ex: One set of bicep curls with calf raises. Instead of resting, I do squats with the body bar. Then, I go back and do the combo move, laternating with the squats until I get three sets of each in.

I'm a person that likes variety, so I like switching things up... plus it keeps my heart rate up!

Shannon
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Were you talking about the difference between super sets and compound sets?

if you were, here's the official difference between the two (from Strength Training, published by the National Strength & Conditioning Association)
    Using compound sets and super sets is a good way to increase the time efficiency of your workouts. These terms are often used interchangeably, but they refer to two distinct techniques. For the purpose of this discussion, super sets are mutliple sets of exercise in which a set that uses the antagonist muscle group is immediately followed by an exercise that uses the agonist muscle group (e.g. biceps curls followed by triceps pulldown). Compound sets, on the other hand, are sets in which the first set of the second exercise uses the same muscle group as the first exercise and is immediately followed by a third set of the first exercise (e.g. the triceps pushdown exercise would be followed by triceps extensions and then another round of triceps pushdown exercise).
    Super sets are useful when you are lifting for maximal strength and don't need long rest periods between sets. Ordering the exercises so that agonists and antagonists are trained back-to-back can allow you to move from exercise to exercise with less time spent resting....
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Were you talking about the difference between super sets and compound sets?

if you were, here's the official difference between the two (from Strength Training, published by the National Strength & Conditioning Association)
    Using compound sets and super sets is a good way to increase the time efficiency of your workouts. These terms are often used interchangeably, but they refer to two distinct techniques. For the purpose of this discussion, super sets are mutliple sets of exercise in which a set that uses the antagonist muscle group is immediately followed by an exercise that uses the agonist muscle group (e.g. biceps curls followed by triceps pulldown). Compound sets, on the other hand, are sets in which the first set of the second exercise uses the same muscle group as the first exercise and is immediately followed by a third set of the first exercise (e.g. the triceps pushdown exercise would be followed by triceps extensions and then another round of triceps pushdown exercise).
    Super sets are useful when you are lifting for maximal strength and don't need long rest periods between sets. Ordering the exercises so that agonists and antagonists are trained back-to-back can allow you to move from exercise to exercise with less time spent resting....

LOL
    finally someone nails it
    thanks SHBoss
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

LOL
    finally someone nails it
    thanks SHBoss

NP, I see people confusing multi-joint exercises compound sets all the time on the body building and weight lifting forums, it's kind of annoying but I get that it's far to wide spread for me to fight. Compound sets are not things like squats or dead lifts (I.E.both exercises use both the hip joint and the knee pulling in for the same plane at the same time), that's a multi-joint exercise where you're using multiple muscle groups IN CONCERT and in the same move. Where as compound sets use THE SAME muscle groups and multiple, distinct moves to reach a goal.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Wow! I never knew things were so specific!*LOL* In any case, what I'm looking for, then are new multi-joint exercise moves... or ones that work multiple muscle groups at the same time.

Like you mentioned, because people use the terms interchangeably and incorrectly, it makes it difficult to find the right kind of exercises on the internet.

Does the National Strength & Conditioning Association post different exercises on their websites? If you guys have links you could share with me, I'd appreciate it.

I'll be sure to check some of the ones already listed when I get off of work tonight.

Shannon
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Wow! I never knew things were so specific!*LOL* In any case, what I'm looking for, then are new multi-joint exercise moves... or ones that work multiple muscle groups at the same time.

Like you mentioned, because people use the terms interchangeably and incorrectly, it makes it difficult to find the right kind of exercises on the internet.

Does the National Strength & Conditioning Association post different exercises on their websites? If you guys have links you could share with me, I'd appreciate it.

I'll be sure to check some of the ones already listed when I get off of work tonight.

Shannon

Get the book, Strength Training (it's 20 bucks at B&N), it's a great beginner and intermediate training guide, it also has a great first half on muscles, types of exercises, and all kinds of kinesiology stuff, great for beginner and intermediate weight training.

you can also go to the NSCA website and watch a whole bunch of free videos on how to do various exercises, any exercise where you bend at two points in the body is a multi-joint move.

http://www.nsca-lift.org/videos/displayvideos.asp
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I hope no one minds me bumping this. I exclusively use supersets (opposing muscle groups) and compound sets (same muscle group) in my lifting routine. While ultimately a HRM would provide me with the most accurate count, would you feel comfortable saying that calories burned is higher than with traditional rest-between-sets lifting? Personally, I use these sets as a means of keeping my heart rate up since strength training is my primary form of exercise until my injuries have subsided.

Now I noticed there are vast differences in the way MFP calorie counts for strength training as opposed to other types of non-rest exercise such as circuit training. In fact, there is a 387 calorie difference between 1 hour of circuit training and 1 hour of strength training.

If you do active-rest or no-rest sets like these, how do you feel most comfortable logging it? Do you think the MFP is putting strength training on the high side of calorie burn in the first place, or would you feel that you burn more than ~200 calories per hour of weight lifting if you routine is exclusively supersets and compound sets?
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    That's right...I've also seen references to "Combination" exercises, meaning two or more single exercises combined not necessarily in one motion, rather over several ranges of motion... so that the workload is distributed over a bigger group of muscles... eg upper body lifts incorporating core and lower body;

Bulgarian Split Squat with Overhead Press
    Squat with Rows and Triceps Extensions
    Hip Bridge on Stability Ball with Reverse Flys
    Combination moves -- I think this refers to lifts that put together multiple lifts in one motion.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    good question! i have not bothered to clock Strength Training on MFP other than wearing an HRM and calling it Cardio because it's easy to just fill in calories burned and duration that way

I hope no one minds me bumping this. I exclusively use supersets (opposing muscle groups) and compound sets (same muscle group) in my lifting routine. While ultimately a HRM would provide me with the most accurate count, would you feel comfortable saying that calories burned is higher than with traditional rest-between-sets lifting? Personally, I use these sets as a means of keeping my heart rate up since strength training is my primary form of exercise until my injuries have subsided.

Now I noticed there are vast differences in the way MFP calorie counts for strength training as opposed to other types of non-rest exercise such as circuit training. In fact, there is a 387 calorie difference between 1 hour of circuit training and 1 hour of strength training.

If you do active-rest or no-rest sets like these, how do you feel most comfortable logging it? Do you think the MFP is putting strength training on the high side of calorie burn in the first place, or would you feel that you burn more than ~200 calories per hour of weight lifting if you routine is exclusively supersets and compound sets?