How do you make your pants fit right while losing weight?

Options
melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
This is really bothering me. I wear tailored pants most days at work and they are getting too big but not big enough to go down a pant size. Because they are sitting low on my hips they are longer than before, so now they hit the ground, and I am constantly hiking up my pants so they don't sit too low.

I tried a safety pin this morning to tuck in some extra fabric around the waist but as soon as I sat down in my car to leave the pin busted open and flew off. :grumble: Apparently I pinned it too tight??

How are you all coping with this? I will buy new or tailor my current pants when necessary but what do you do in the meantime?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Sounds as though it's already time to head to the tailor! Congratulations!
  • nicolepope11
    Options
    Wear a belt!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Sounds as though it's already time to head to the tailor! Congratulations!

Agreed. A stitch in time saves nine!
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this exact same thing. I'm not down enough to move to the next size, but in the meantime, I look frumpy and baggie. Thanks for asking; I'll have to keep an eye out for a helpful reply.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    A belt might also get you through to the next size if you don't want to tailor the pants.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Take them to a alteration shop like mentioned above. They will put in a quick stitch at the waist and you should be good to go.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    safety pins have always worked for me - try a larger, stronger pin, or include less material in what you've pinned.
  • DCoT
    DCoT Posts: 1
    Options
    I tighten my belt.
  • vickyeileen
    vickyeileen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I sew a piece of elastic to the back or on each side in the back. Works great!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I put a couple of stitches on each side. Something I can take out when I feel I am ready to go have them tailored. Because as much weight as I plan to lose, I will be spending more than they are worth having them altared so many times.
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I usually just make a couple small stitches myself in the waist of my pants so they stay up. Stitches that will stay put until you are actually a new size and can have them correctly tailored.

I have about 5 or 6 pairs of nice dress pants that I did this to...and it works great for me and then my tailor can easily unstitch the ones I did and tailor them as needed.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I used a binder clip yesterday. Haha.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I used a binder clip yesterday. Haha.

Wish I had thought of that yesterday - I used a jumbo paper clip but it didn't hold at all.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and usually end up wearing my clothes too loose until I go down a size. Sometimes wearing a belt or washing my clothes in hot water to shrink them a bit helps. I have no idea if this as-seen-on-tv stuff works, but I've been curious and it may be worth a try.

The first thing I saw is called Style Snaps, where you can adjust hem of your pants. Here is a link where a TV station tried them out http://www.wvec.com/news/local/Does-it-work-Style-Snaps-115025199.html

Then there is also "The Perfect Button" where you can add a tighter button to your pants. https://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/perfect_fit_button_ood_ontv.html
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    hahaha I have tried all of these things,my fiance says no more clothes till you are done losing.wich my goal changes everytime i reach it.Soooo I am stuck with jeans falling off my hiney and shirts hanging all over the place.He says you look fine,I say my crack is showing.We dont agree.next step.....ASK MOM FOR NEW CLOTHES!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    oh major bump!
    i've been using a nice "flat belt" but since the fabric ends up bunching under the belt it actually makes me look pregnant. and it's pissing me off.

no babies here yet. no. it's just not my time. lol.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    brilliant post, brilliant answers BUMP! I'm gonna try the pieces of elastic sewn in. (My jeans will forever need this because my waist is so much smaller than my hiney)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great excuse to buy some killer heels to me!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    oh major bump!
    i've been using a nice "flat belt" but since the fabric ends up bunching under the belt it actually makes me look pregnant. and it's pissing me off.

no babies here yet. no. it's just not my time. lol.

Is a flat belt actually a special kind of belt? I always have issues with my belt-bump being really noticable.