Pedometer/ Step counter

Options
My son and I have been to town (walked of course) and bought a pedometer. I can only say wow!:drinker:
First it is a dead cheap tool to count your steps, I think you should aim for 10,000 steps a day. Anyway, I clipped this thing on my belt and I walked home, 2.6 miles and lost 880 calories!!!! Not fully counting my way into town, let alone counting the stairs or walking uphill. I think thats spedometer is the bees knees!!
A good investsment, give it a try
:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
XXX

Replies

• Saluna
    Saluna Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My son and I have been to town (walked of course) and bought a pedometer. I can only say wow!:drinker:
    First it is a dead cheap tool to count your steps, I think you should aim for 10,000 steps a day. Anyway, I clipped this thing on my belt and I walked home, 2.6 miles and lost 880 calories!!!! Not fully counting my way into town, let alone counting the stairs or walking uphill. I think thats spedometer is the bees knees!!
    A good investsment, give it a try
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    XXX
  • chelle1717
    chelle1717 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I guess the one I bought was just too cheap. It would give me about 8 steps just clipping it to my belt. Then it would count the steps I took sporadically, so I never could tell for sure how I was doing. I used it for one day & put it down. "Investment" is a good word for it...I think you need to spend more than $6 to get one that works correctly!
  • Saluna
    Options
    I have spent £6 on mine, which I find reasonable cheap. Thats arounf $12
    xx
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I just bought one this week, awesome!

however, my doctor said she went to a seminar about them and found that they best kind are Omron and it needs to be more than $15. Because they seem to be the best giving you "real" steps. Some are sensitive to the clothes that you wear, and some go off on a bump in the road while in a car...
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    YEY YOU!!! It is fun to have a toy which gives you "instant" success to measure! YEY YOU GIRLIE! It's soooooooo good to have a walking partner too! YEY for your son!
  • she_red247
    she_red247 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have one made by Curves. I put it on just while I was in my house getting ready for a party. I ended up taking enough steps running around the house that I walked an equivalent of 10 miles!! By midnight that night I was exhausted:smooched:
  • Saluna
    Options
    I did about 10 miles today, banked loads of calories in, It is fun but I am exhausted an happy. I managed to have an extra 2000 calories and now I am worried. How can I lose weight when I have altogether 3500 a day? I don't even eat that much.
    Never mind, I am hapy I got a spedometer yay :smokin: :smokin:
    xxx
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Hmm, be careful on that exercise calorie amount. If you're counting all the steps you do during your "normal" day as exercise, you really should instead change your normal activity level on MFP instead of counting it as exercise.

I say that because 2000 calories for exercise is ALOT--I ride for 40 miles in 3 hours on a bicycle and only get 1800--and I'm a lot bigger than you, which means I burn up even more calories that you would in a similar situation.

Personally, I would only count those calories that come from a "dedicated" walk--that's just me. But I say that because you could be inadvertently overeating. Even walking 10 miles "on purpose," I think you'd be hard put to burn up 2000 calories.

The only true way to know how many calories you're burning up is with a heart rate monitor, which you can get one for about $40-60 US dollars or so.

Just suggestions.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with shorerider. Try using this site to enter the walking calories. Your pedometer seems a little off to me. 1 miles is around 100 calories.
  • Saluna
    Options
    Yeah I thought that, hence i stick to my 1500 cals a day no matter what. But I still feel good tho.....
    xx