Zumba!!!

Options
Has anyone lost much weight or inches doing Zumba... ive been doing it for 2 months now, and haven't really lost anything. for the past 2 weeks ive joined a gym and have started doing diff classes there, and have only just lost 2 lbs. I love Zumba and really want to continue doing it, but i can't see it working, and i spend an extra £5 every week doing it as it's not part of my gym.

Carry on or just stick to gym and normal classes?

Replies

• tknuzum
    tknuzum Posts: 52
    Options
    Why not do both. If you like Zumba maybe get a DVD you could do at home and continue going to the Gym also. I love Zumba, and am planning to do it on the day's I dont' go to the gym. And hopefully will see results also :)
  • mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i got to a zumba class and love it. its the one proper gym thing i do, the rest is dvds at home.
    im pretty sure than anything that raises your heart rate and gets you moving is a good thing!
    if you really love doing it, then its worth the money.
    do your gym not do any classes which the cost is covered by the membership?
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Zumba looks like a great way to lose weight, I always hear success stories from it. I tried it a few times but could not catch on with any of the moves.
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I do zumba and love it but i also do other workouts....you have to change it up. I also do walk away the pounds, turbo jam, hip hop abs and a few others (these are my favorites)....stick with it....I have lost 20 pounds in a little over 2 months and have also lost 9 inches off of my waist and 6 1/2 inches off of my hips :tongue:
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i got to a zumba class and love it. its the one proper gym thing i do, the rest is dvds at home.
    im pretty sure than anything that raises your heart rate and gets you moving is a good thing!
    if you really love doing it, then its worth the money.
    do your gym not do any classes which the cost is covered by the membership?

No my gym doesn't cover it. I really love it, and it's brilliant cardio i'm just worried that i'm spending an extra 20 pounds a month, and it's not really doing much. I don't think the DVD's would be anywhere near the same amount of fun, as the classes.
  • ashleyb1031
    ashleyb1031 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    it may depend on who is teaching the class, cause I know ive had one instructor who was horrible and I didnt really even break a sweat, but another one I had is amazing and I left having the best workout!
  • Dukesjourney
    Options
    it may depend on who is teaching the class, cause I know ive had one instructor who was horrible and I didnt really even break a sweat, but another one I had is amazing and I left having the best workout!

My instructor is really good. She really works you and I break a sweat every class. aybe I should have measured before going, maybe Ive lost some inches, but just dont know about it.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on your instructor. I walk away from my Tuesday Zumba class totally drained and feeling like I put everything I have into it, but I also feel really upbeat and positive. There is no way I could do that workout everyday, but if I did, I know I would lose a ton of weight. There is another class in town that is a lot slower and more about the dancing than the cardio and people say it's not that great of a workout. If you enjoy it, and it gets you moving, definetly try to incorporate it in your routine. Anything that keeps you moving is a good thing!
  • graycliff67
    Options
    I am have been doing Zumba for six weeks and hit some sort of weird plateau. My scale would not move and then a freind suggested that I was not eating enough. She had lost 12 lbs in the same six weeks so on Friday I ate all my calories including my Zumba calories and same thing on Saturday and Sunday then on Monday dropped 1 lb then Zumba Tuesday woke up down another 2.5 lbs. My Zumba instructor is always talking about eating for class so that you can make it through the class.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I always have a Larabar about 30 minutes to 1 hour before class. I think I would pass out without it :laugh:
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    The very first instructor I had lost 25 inches and 42 lbs doing zumba 4 times a week (from like Sept-March). I have had a few of my students lose 15 and 20 lbs after 2-3 months of taking my class. It depends on your nutrition, how hard you are working during the workout and as stated before, the instructor. If you enjoy it, you should continue going :)
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love zumba, too! I've lost ten lbs in two months but I've been below my calorie limit most days. Zumba is a pretty good cardio workout but if you really want to see results I'd recommend pairing it with some sort of strength training routine. It's building muscles that will really kick up your metabolism.
  • Dukesjourney
    Options
    Sooo I've started combining zumba with gym and body combat and other strength training! So far have lost 2lbs... Since my last post so I guess the combination must be working!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!! Fantastic!!! Keep it up :smile:
  • cynraelene
    cynraelene Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've lost 2.5 inches in my waist in a week doing Zumba but no weight loss yet just weight gain. I think the weight gain is just from gaining muscle in my abs right now and losing body fat. I usually throw a 2.5km walk in too at least once a week