New member, newlywed, new wt gain, new town, new nurse!

Options
Hello all I am a new member here but very excited about fitness and wt loss. A little about me I was very small girl barely breaking 100lbs in size zeros and dancer mainly ballet and pointe for 8 years...until i entered nursing school in 2009 I noticed some wt gain of about 15lbs understandably from going from dancing 4 nights a weeks for hours to sitting in class for about 4 hours.... I graduated as an RN in 2010, Got married to the love of my life in September 2010, I weighed about 120lbs then. And my husbands new career in the Highway Patrol moved us 2 1/2hours from home, family, and friends. I started my job as an RN here in our new town and now weigh a 140lbs, which wouldn't be so bad, trust me I don't mind the curves its given my butt, just not my belly! I wear a size A bra cup so any weight gain in the belly region is very noticeable, I went up to size 6 pants too. But what puzzles me is I eat pretty healthy, NO Mcdonalds, protein and veggies but yes always a small portion of carbs...splurge every now and again. And recently I wore a pedometer to work and in an eight hour shift I had walked 3miles!!! SO why am I gaining wt?!!!

I still LOVE to dance so I bought the Wii Just dance but soon grew tired of dancing the same songs over again...I crank the ipod on the docking station and dance around the house like no one is looking but my self confidence in getting low! I have double chin in pictures now, my gut hangs out, which im constantly aware of, pulling my pants up over it when I sit, hiding my chin...uck I just don't feel like me. I would love to get into running, I've never been good at it but now were in a new town and I have no friends or family here to work out with and keep me motivated. My husband works crazy day/night schedule so that never works out with us...HELP. I wanna be 115lbs and back in size 2-4's confident! Not even sure why im gaining wt! Not realy depressed but yes super stressed! And well thats not gonna stop until I win the lottery or something so any tips to help me deal are welcome!

Replies

• MeaganAnn84
    Options
    Hi!
    Stress = weight gain! I've been using this site for a week, love it! The people here are wonderful. I am a little stressed in life as well, I am almost done with school, freaked out about finding a job in my field, my awesome boyfriend is supporting us and has been for a year and a half while I got my education. He's on my case about finding a job, etc! I hear ya cluckin'! Add me as a friend if you'd like, I would love to help support you on your journey!

P.S. Beautiful profile picture, I love your dress! Congrats on the new job also, I thought about nursing, but I hate needles more than anything, I don't know if I could get over that! lol
  • priddysmith
    Options
    You are so funny! That is a good thing because humor helps. I am also a nurse, but I got some years on you! I am getting ready to move in 2 months, and get married in January. My nurse practioner gave me this site so that I could track everything that I need to for weight loss. I am the opposite of you though, I have been a "voluptous" kinda gal except when I was in the military. All other times, I have been a big girl. And I am very self conscious about my weight and always have been, so much that I use to hide and gorge on food when my parents, roommates, etc was not looking. I still have eating problems with stress eating. If you could see a picture of me, you would realize that I have been stressed a lot!! during my life. HA! Being a nurse on top of being newly married and moving and being 2 1/2 hours from your friends and family all contribute to your stress. As you know, stress can help add to weight gain and/or inhibit weight loss. DON"T get discouraged is the main thing. Excercise bores me to death and I hate sweating for something that is oh so NOT fun. I did a Richard Simmons dance DVD today and even though it was..um...not the most masculine thing I have ever seen, I do feel like I have worked out. One thing you might want to try is to see if your local library (if you are in a rural area like me, "local" means a 30 minute drive) has workout or dance tapes that you can rent and that may give you a variety to use instead of the same old songs. For the double chin thing, there are some excercises that help, if you do them everyday, and you will see some results in 2 weeks. Expressively say the vowels "E" then "O" twice and repeat that 20 times. When you say the "O" bring your lips out and up, over emphasizing the O. I hope these suggestions help you. And I will keep you in my prayers. :)
  • j_talley8
    j_talley8 Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow yay! Already some great responses and support! Good to see another nurse working towards better health. I cannot control my stress unfortunately I haven't found the ability (and I pray I never do!) to not care in my job or in life. It's a blessing and a curse! Fortunately for me and my husband I'm sure I have a small case of OCD so when i'm stressed, angry, sad....I clean...house is spotless I must say and thankfully I married a not so meat man so I constantly get to relieve stress! Guess I could have had worse comping habits such as eating. But I completely understand you priddysmith about stress and our coping issues with it. Maybe you can start replacing your stress coping mechanism to exercising to cope! Maybe a lil runners high to take the edge off...haha

And Meagan I will definately add you I need all the support I can get!