How does one bad meal spoil the numbers?

Options
So, yesterday was bad. I mean really bad. I ate a a grilled chicken sandwich with MAYO! I had an order of fried onion rings! I topped it off with a medium vanilla custard! When we came home I had a cup of whole milk and about 40 mini nilla wafers. So yes, I was way over my calories. WAY OVER! 1,000 calories over. I stepped on the scale this morning. Maybe I shouldn't have. I am 2 pounds up! Really? One bad day makes me gain 2 whole pounds? While I am not really too concerned becasue I have a strenuous week ahead at the gym, I guess I am just surprised. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Thoughts? :grumble:

Replies

• Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want to know this also since I had a bad dinner yesterday due to it being my husband and I anniversary.
  • han182
    han182 Posts: 82
    Options
    One bad day wont hurt :) The 2 lbs is most likely water weight from high sodium, just drink lots of water and watch that scale drop!!
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It takes abut 3,500 calories to gain 1lb of fat...I would suspect that the increase you are seeing is due to water retention. Drink lots of water today and tomorrow and it will disappear in no time. Don't worry, just jump back on the wagon and keep going. Don't let moments like this take drag you down the "wrong-decisions" path, as this is what leads to actual weight-gain.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My first thought was sodium, too. Don't sweat it. It was a fun day, ONE DAY, let yourself have it!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    One bad day wont hurt :) The 2 lbs is most likely water weight from high sodium, just drink lots of water and watch that scale drop!!
    Agreed, just be careful not to allow yourself too many binges with the thought that water will make it all better. I've been there and that is definitely not the case.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the sodium. I had a high sodium day after drinking and eating out. Gained 3 pounds but it was gone in a couple days with a lot of water intake.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    There's a LOT of sodium in those foods you just listed... Your gain is MOST likely due to water retention. You would have to consume an extra 7000 calories for those 2 lbs to be FAT! You didn't do that so SODIUM is the culprit.

Today drink TONS of H2O and get in some exercise, and eat better! You'll see a difference in a day or 2!!!!

Don't worry, I'm facing the same problem today! Hope it helps!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Could it be that you are just bloated from the sodium and sugar intake? Weight fluctuates a whole lot in the course of a week, let alone a day. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Just up the water today and workout a little more harder and you should be good to go. We all have bad days - and are entitled to them! haha :)
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was weekly sabotaging all my hard efforts with my weekends! I would work really hard to lose weight during the week, then on the weekends, I would just act "normal". I finally had to accept the fact that I have to be careful ALL the time! It's just not worth it to blow it like that, I was getting NO WHERE! Since I've been careful, I have been losing weight steadily!
  • mageepilot
    mageepilot Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think it's the salt that's in so much eating out food. I don't think you really gain that, it's just water retention. I found the same thing after eating chinese out. It was gone in a day. So no worries!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that kind of sudden spike is usually due to water retention either caused by sodium, inflammation, or hormones. Could be a combo. Stay the course and it will probably drop right back off, too.
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It takes abut 3,500 calories to gain 1lb of fat...I would suspect that the increase you are seeing is due to water retention. Drink lots of water today and tomorrow and it will disappear in no time. Don't worry, just jump back on the wagon and keep going. Don't let moments like this take drag you down the "wrong-decisions" path, as this is what leads to actual weight-gain.

I agree with the above. I had one horrible day a few months ago, and was up 6 lbs the next day! The day after that i was right back where I was supposed to be.... keep in mind the sodium content of all those foods.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm facing it too. I'm retaining water and I'm backed up. I did start a new exercise routine. But I had Taco Bell on Monday night and I'm still feeling it. I'm up 3 pounds and I know I haven't eaten that much. I'm just going to down water like crazy and eat light today. I feel too bloated to be able to eat like I normally do.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I am always tempted to weigh myself after I've derailed to find out how much damage I have done, too. However, there is a reason they say it's best to weigh in one a week or so. Your weight can flux soooo much during the week. Like the others said, drink lots of water to help digestion and shed that water weight. Forge ahead...plenty of us have buckled before. Just learn from it and use that determination to kick twice as much butt at the gym this week.

*Also, when I say "learn from it" I mean, look back and think about why that happened. Sometimes when I cave like that, it's because I had been pushing myself too hard or denying myself too much. Or sometimes it was because I let myself get so hungry/tired/etc. that I didn't have the patience to cook up something healthy...and I went straight for what was convenient.
    So, if it was because you just really love vanilla wafers and your tired of not having them, maybe get a box and divide them up into small portions and put them in sandwich bags. Then let yourself have one every once & awhile. Even if you end up plowing through 2 or 3 bags, you will be more mindful of how many portions you just took to the face. Instead of mindlessly reaching for another, and another amongst a whole box.

I often go to the gym before dinner, but then am so tired when I return that I am ready to eat NOW & get tempted by bad choices. It helps me to prep something before I go.

Or sometimes if I slip up a little, I got into the mindset of "well, this day is shot, might as well have some cookies!"....maybe it would help if you had a plan in motion before you knew a splurge was coming. Like looking at a restaurant menu on-line before you go there, and decide beforehand what the best option would be. Then have something that signals "healthy" to you as a snack, waiting for you when you get home. For me, it would be raw carrot sticks. If I've had a splurge of some kind, following it up with a few carrot sticks helps reset my brain back into diet mode.

Don't beat yourself up too much, just learn & move forward. Good luck!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    No worries!!! You cant actually gain that much... its just water retention!

drink lots of water and eat good wholesome food!
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I dont even think its water retention- its the pure weight of the food (This my own thoery- no scientific backing!)
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I bet that it's the food that's still in your system and water retention.

Weigh yourself again in a couple of days.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    yup it has happen , especially having a lot of sugar
  • SARAHWALKER25
    Options
    No worries!!! You cant actually gain that much... its just water retention!

drink lots of water and eat good wholesome food!

HOW MUCH WATER is a lot of water to flush all the sodium out??