HARD Day

Options
vickyt
vickyt Posts: 110 Member
So I know I'm new on here, although I have been dieting for over a year, I had no idea how much more calories I was consuming than I should. :frown: I still live at home, so on weekends we usually eat as a family. My mom is making what has to be the most delicious roast beef, its smothered in butter and its got SOOO much seasoning on there.... SOOO GOOD. But once i eat that, I'll be give or take 500 calories over my daily allotment. :sad:
I guess it'll just take me a while to get used to spreading the calories out throughout the day, as it stands right now I'm always starving and I end up eating much more than I should at meals.
As I feared, I am going to have to give up my Tim Hortons Iced Capp that I get every morning, that way I can eat something a little more filling between breakfast and lunch, or after dinner, which are the times where I'm SUPER hungry.
Here I am still rambling. I just had a question.... What do you guys eat that is filling for a few hours, and that is relatively low in calorie?!?
Thanks
Vicky:wink:

Replies

• vickyt
    Options
    So I know I'm new on here, although I have been dieting for over a year, I had no idea how much more calories I was consuming than I should. :frown: I still live at home, so on weekends we usually eat as a family. My mom is making what has to be the most delicious roast beef, its smothered in butter and its got SOOO much seasoning on there.... SOOO GOOD. But once i eat that, I'll be give or take 500 calories over my daily allotment. :sad:
    I guess it'll just take me a while to get used to spreading the calories out throughout the day, as it stands right now I'm always starving and I end up eating much more than I should at meals.
    As I feared, I am going to have to give up my Tim Hortons Iced Capp that I get every morning, that way I can eat something a little more filling between breakfast and lunch, or after dinner, which are the times where I'm SUPER hungry.
    Here I am still rambling. I just had a question.... What do you guys eat that is filling for a few hours, and that is relatively low in calorie?!?
    Thanks
    Vicky:wink:
  • rosenbss
    rosenbss Posts: 54
    Options
    Hey been there done that..I grab pretzels, fresh fruit, 100 cal snacks, the cheese singles, I spreadmy cals out but i make it so I am eating all day. I also make sure i drink water 10 8oz glasses all day it helps with the whole eating thing. I always stay between 1200 and 1300 cal and i always walk 30 mins every day no matter what even if its broke up into two 15 mins sets.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Popcorn.
  • vickyt
    Options
    I think thats what my problem is, I end up waiting until I'm extremely hungry to eat, and then I end up eating 2 or 3 of those 100 cal. snacks ( defeats the purpose haha) and a bunch of other things. Thanks for the advice I'll definetely try to eat throughout the day, it should help me loads.
    Thanks again:smile::flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hey there!!! Welcome!

I don't get the munchies much anymore because I have suppressed all those wonderful old cuddly feelings. ::sigh:: ((shaking my head awake)) I munch on a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig glass of water and Act II 94% fat free popcorn. YUM! I end up not eating but a few cups of the stuff, take in less calories than a munch fest would, and I drink more water.

ANYWAY!!! WELCOME to the MFP!
  • mb2bthin
    mb2bthin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Boy to I get what you are saying. I am always hungry and the 100 calorie snacks don't work unless I eat 5 of them at a time :blushing: . Okay, I know that ain't gonna work and like you I thought I was doing okay until I saw how many calories I truly was eating.

I think I have to wait till my tummy starts getting used to smaller meals and the hunger pangs stop. But, if you come up with an easier way, lemme know. Drinking water just doesn't do it for me. I drink because I know it is the right thing to do but not because it helps fill me up.

Good luck and keep us posted on your success!
  • lisabeavers
    lisabeavers Posts: 115
    Options
    eat a good breakfast and eat every few hours after that. lilke every two or three. eat an apple or something like that that is filling but not lots of calories. its really really really hard in the beginning, but after a couple of weeks you get used to it. mebbe you shouldn't try to do it all at once. mebbe you should aim for 25 fewer calories every single day until you get down to the calories you need to be at to lose weight.

and exercise, exercise, exercise.... that increases the calories you can eat!!!! I wudn't survive on a diet if i didn't have my exercise calories, id throw my self off a cliff cuz it would hurt less.

good luck!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese its jam packed with protien and is low in calories same goes with plain yougurt...
  • vickyt
    Options
    Ahh you guys are awesome!!!! Thanks for the tips, Im definetely going to try everything you guys suggested!
    I'll keep you posted!:wink:
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    It took me about three weeks to adapt to smaller portions. What helped me were these things:

1. Three main meals targeted to 300 calories each

2. Two snacks at around 100-150 calories each

3. LOTS of water

4. Trying to make sure I have protein every time I eat. I think those 100 calorie packs are not great b/c they are always simple carbohydrates that stim your blood sugar. Then, when you sense a drop in that blood sugar, you're likely to want to binge again. Instead, grab a tablespoon of nuts or peanut butter or a low-fat yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese or some easy to grab deli meat

5. Think about portions. That roast beef you described sounds awesome! Take what you'd ordinarily eat, cut it by 1/2 and save the calories. Load up on salad or soup (and drink that water) to fill your stomach

6. EXERCISE (moving = increasing the number of calories you're allowed)

7. PRE-PLAN your meals. Think today about tomorrow so that you know when and what you are going to eat. If you have to wash fruit or measure out nuts, do it tonight so that you have a plan for tomorrow. That way, you're less likely to randomly give in and over-do your eating.

Good luck! Just being on this site means you're thinking about it. The next step is making the thinking a consistent activity!
  • vickyt
    Options
    Thank you SOO much. Ive tried to plan meals ahead before and people kept telling me it was a bad idea, so I got out of that habit, but its defintely something i enjoyed doing, and I find I have much more willpower that way, and I can eat more of the things that are good for me, and less junk.
    The roast beef was GREAT, although I did eat WAYYYY too much, but I'm going for a LOOONG swim in a few minutes, that way I wont feel so bad and I'll get back in the swing of things tomorrow morning!!!:smile:
    Thanks to everyone for their advice, makes me feel like I'm not such a horrible person HAHA
    :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I totally have to have my meals planned or I go nuts.
    I kinda wing it with snacks but they are really important too.

I actually plan tomorrow today....so when I wake up...I know basically what I am eating and when.
  • casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    McDonald Ice cream cone or a home made smoothie.