Numb foot when running

Options
I've done some research on my own but I want to see what others might have to say. I've experience a numb foot while on the elliptical before and I know it's because your foot stays planted in one spot the whole time. However, I've recently started running and I get to about 2 miles or more and my right foot starts to go numb. It got so bad on Monday that I had to stop and walk for a bit.

I went to two different RunTexvstores yesterday and received what I thought was conflicting information. Apparently I have a high arch (seam more like a medium arch to me, but whatever), but one person said I overpronate and suggested a stability shoe from Asics, the other didnt really give me a description (overpronate or suprinate) but said I need a neutral shoe. When I got back to my computer I looked it up and I definitely dont think I overpronate since that would mean I roll into the insides of my feet more and I know for a fact I roll mostly on the outsides of my feet. So does this mean I suprinate? If so, anyone have any good shoe advice for a suprinator with high arches? Looks like Asics are a good bet but the ones they showed me yesterday really didnt wow me.

Oh, they also said I need to go up a half size in my running shoes.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Whoa, I have the exact same issue and I never thought research it. I do have a really high arch, but I've never associated it with the numbness. I figured I was overcompensating somehow by putting all my weight on my right side.

If anyone has any suggestions to UT_Nut7's post, I'd love to hear them as well!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too, I try to get the running shoes for over pronating (I know I am a definite overpronater) But I never thought about going up a half size in running shoes, interesting!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Be careful with self diagnosing your running issues, you could be setting yourself up for injury.

Absolutely on larger running shoes...and a half size might not be enough. Make sure they measure your foot too...I was shocked to see that I am now a 9 1/2 after being a 9 for many years. Although that would explain why 9's were getting uncomfortable :-) My running shoes look like gunboats @ 10 1/2!!

It's interesting that you got a couple of differing opinions. I am not familiar w/the store you mentioned, but I am assuming that it's a chain. Did they put you on a treadmill and analyze your run? If you have a smaller local running store, go there and see what they say. If they are worth their salt, they will throw you on a treadmill and watch you run!

If you have a high arch, you probably still need a shoe w/arch support as do those of us that pronate. But I"m not an expert:-)

Good luck.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you tend to roll on the outsides of your feet you underpronate or suprinate. I have just recently noticed that I do as well. From what I have read, people who underpronate should wear shoes that are cushioned and flexible.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I vote for a third opinion at a local running store that has employees that actually run. At my local running store, all the employees are active runners and have run in college and/or high school.
  • wendyleach
    wendyleach Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ok so i sold running shoes for 10 years here is my advice.
    Take and old pair of runners or sandals the softer the soel the better. Flip them over and look at the soel. if its worn unevenly, outside or inside you know which way you pronate. Tha asics website provides some amazing technical information. http://www.asicsamerica.com/sports/running/shoeFitGuide.aspx
    As far as arch stand bare foot flat on ground and get a friend to put their finger under your arch, ( so your not bent over) see how high or low it is.
    Numb foot: Go to a running store and ask if they can show you alternate ways of lacing. You can do a special cross over lace that eases pressure on the top of your foot its kind of hard to describe but a runnig room kind of store can show you.

Pressure spots: I love aasics but recently i tried about 10 pairs even the 250$ ones and tehy hurt. Its all about the seam. If you feel that it is too tight or rubs and there is a seem htere it will never "break in" Make sure that it feels good from the strat.

Size : Just like with your kids in a runner you should be able to put your thumb sideways at the top of your shoe. About 1/3inch or 1cm between your biggest toe and end of shoe.

Runners are only desighned for 500 miles so they do wear out. You can buy some great extra soft insoles at sports stores that can help with insole comfort. But a cheap shoe is just that sheap. they dont have the some technical qualaties that a more expensive runner has. So really it should cost 100-150$ if your serious about working out and you actually care about your feet.

Hope that helps a bit. Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind of funny im just off today to help my mom pick out new shoes.
    And dont forget every foot is diferent. Dont get pushed by sales people. And check the return policy most stores if you just wear them in your house and they are not dirty will take back. So take them home wear them a few days in the house and be shure they work for you.
    Wendy
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    That is some great information from Wendy.

I have had this issue before and was able to correct my form and it went away. I was landing too much on my toes. I started to stride out a little more and focus on landing heal or mid foot first. I also loosened up my running shoes. Once you get moving, your feet will swell.

Good luck!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I've also worked on changing my stride to solve this issue. Also, I think I have a circulation issue. So I supplement with iron tablets.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5436_know-you-are.html
  • etroupe
    etroupe Posts: 54
    Options
    My issue was simple...shoe strings on the foot going numb was too tight!! lol some times its something simple : )
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I've done some research on my own but I want to see what others might have to say. I've experience a numb foot while on the elliptical before and I know it's because your foot stays planted in one spot the whole time. However, I've recently started running and I get to about 2 miles or more and my right foot starts to go numb. It got so bad on Monday that I had to stop and walk for a bit.

I went to two different RunTexvstores yesterday and received what I thought was conflicting information. Apparently I have a high arch (seam more like a medium arch to me, but whatever), but one person said I overpronate and suggested a stability shoe from Asics, the other didnt really give me a description (overpronate or suprinate) but said I need a neutral shoe. When I got back to my computer I looked it up and I definitely dont think I overpronate since that would mean I roll into the insides of my feet more and I know for a fact I roll mostly on the outsides of my feet. So does this mean I suprinate? If so, anyone have any good shoe advice for a suprinator with high arches? Looks like Asics are a good bet but the ones they showed me yesterday really didnt wow me.

Oh, they also said I need to go up a half size in my running shoes.

Thoughts?

I agree that there is a very good chance that your shoes are too small. I have to go up a FULL size for my running shoes and always have. Even when I ran a few half marathons a year, I never got a black toenail or numb feet. Most folks buy their running shoes too small by at least a half size and then suffer along.

Your feet swell a LOT when you start picking up the distance and/or time. Your shoes have to have room for that. Generally, it's best to shop for running shoes as late in the day as you can (feet will be more swollen) and you want to have one full thumbwidth between the end of the toebox and your longest toe(which may not be your big toe). And when you are starting a run, the shoes should not feel tight--otherwise your feet have got nowhere to swell and they'll get numb.

I happen to love Asics. I have a good-high arch but I do overpronate as well. The Asics GT-2160 is a great shoe for me. It's what's called a cushioned stability shoe. (The GT 1160 is the budget version of this shoe.)

If you have a neutral gait, then you'd be looking at cushioned shoes that do not attempt to correct your gait in any way.

I'd try out a few of the shoes that were recommended to you. If you use them for a week on the treadmill, a good running store will usually let you return them if they aren't the right ones for you.

As you got 2 different opinions, you're probably right on the edge between a neutral gait and a pronating gait, OR, one foot moves differently than does the other when you land.

I wouldn't necessarily decide you supinate on your own. The way you land when running is different sometimes from the way you walk.
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    I think I posted this on your message the other day, but i will say it again. I would suggest a trip to a reputable podiatrist. He/she will check you out way more than any shoe store person would. My recent first experience with one was very, very positive. May save you from buying shoes you dont really need and more importantly get to the root of the problem. Not saying a good shoe store isnt important (because it is) but there may be more going on than what they can diagnose or correct. In my case, age has caught up with me and the foot issues began affecting my hips/back where I couldnt run and sometimes could barely walk. I waited too long - dont make that mistake. Two trip to podiatrist and new orthodics and now I feel better than I have in years. My custom orthodics were covered by insurance and should last 6-8 years and can be used in all different shoes.
  • UT_Nut7
    UT_Nut7 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks, all! RunTex is a pretty reputable running store chain here in Austin so I figured they would be able to "diagnose" me pretty easily. However, I think it's worth giving one more different store a look to see what they say.

Fasttrack- thanks again for the advice. I'm going to look into going to a podiatrist and checking out the orthotics as well.

I do think my Nike Lunar Max's are too small now that I think about it. I wear size 7 in all of my shoes, including them, so I'm sure I need to go up a half size or so. I found some great Asics I love, but they are for triathlon runners. Not sure if that's the route I want to take either...

Keep you all posted and thanks again for the advice!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have very high arches and get this with some shoes. I have asics, though not the over pronating ones as I don't, I just have naturally high arches. I have the gel Kayano, which are perfect. I get them half a size big as when running your feet swell, which could be causing your numbness. Try adjusting the lacing.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Im with fast track. I have had this same issue, as well as severe arch pain while running. I've been told the same things as you at various running stores. Finally went to a podiatrist two weeks ago forvwhat i would consider the most imformative dr visit I've ever had.

My pain is caused by the shape of my foot, which is rare, and 'looks' like overpronation when they watch your gait. I was straining a tendon on the bottom of my foot, which is what caused the pain. He did a temporary fixto my current shoe inserts to see if it works, and man, what a difference! Went from an 18 min mile down to 13 literally overnight! I'll be investing in the custom orthotics in the next couple of weeks.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've been through every possible solution for numb feet when running. I'm good for about 4 miles, then numbness hits. I've been to Orthopods, DPM, Chiropractor, Nurse Practitioner, another Orthopod. I've had nerve conduct tests, massage therapy, tests for circulation, and gait examinations. My diagnoses have gone from Tarsal Tunnel to Blocked Arteries.

Long story short, my best solution, was to increase the flexibility of my feet. I work daily to try to pick up tennis balls with my toes. I run in a Terra Plana Vivo Barefoot, and I do foot flexibility drills all the time several times a day when I get a chance. I work with a great DPM and have rested on the knowledge that it doesn't harm me in the long run and I just learn to get used to it.